European breakdown and recovery (1 Viewer)

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I have just renewed my mh insurance with comfort ins and found out this below regarding European breakdown and recovery with DAS recovery that comfort use in event of breakdown and recovery in Europe
Very important for everyone that goes abroad, the breakdown and subsequent recovery back to the UK ?? if garage unable to repair straight away is limited to max £5000 from anywhere in Europe, !!!!!!
So if you breakdown for instance say in Portugal and your first recovery to a local garage costs £500 then maybe another recovery to another garage as first garage cannot repair £500 then subsequent recovery back to the UK is £5000 then you will have to pay the extra £1000 of recovery cost as you have already used up part of the max £5000 fir the first breakdown and recovery. Hope I have explained it properly !!!!!! I spoke to comfort about this and they confirmed that the recovery company they use DAS will only cover up to £5000 of any recovery’s including back to UK ??
Why I queried it in the first place is because I understood that it was unlimited recovery back to the UK from anywhere within the eu but my Friend broke down on way home from Portugal and was 3/4 way through Spain and broke down and subsequently had two recovery’s to garages as first could not handle the repair so was taken to second garage about 50 miles away where they could not repair it till after Xmas (this was a week before Xmas) as part had to come from Germany, so he asked to be recovered home and they said it would cost £5000 from garage in Spain to his home garage in UK ?? but they had already paid out £1000 to recover to the two garages and there Waco it £4000 left fir the max £5000 that they allowed and he would have to pay the extra £1000 to get him recovered home. He decided to leave Mh in gge and fly home for Xmas and return when Mh was repaired which in all was an excellent service all paid for by DAS including train plane and taxi fares.
So Overall be aware check your insurance policy for your European breakdown and recovery for max cost the recovery company will pay for and if it costs £5000 from middle of Spain then god knows what it will cost from bottom of western part of Spain or Portugal or Italy or Greece and so one
Better warned than fall into this situation where it could costs £1000s more in recovery back to UK ??

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting , the surprising bit is how much it costs to get recovered from some where relatively close like northern Spain

but also interesting that if I have read right the repairs were all covered by the breakdown insurance? Had he been recovered tohome he would then have had the repair costs , quite probably a lot more than £1000

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Interesting , the surprising bit is how much it costs to get recovered from some where relatively close like northern Spain

but also interesting that if I have read right the repairs were all covered by the breakdown insurance? Had he been recovered tohome he would then have had the repair costs , quite probably a lot more than £1000
No David, the repairs are the owner’s responsibility, whether repaired in Spain or at home, as they only deal with the breakdown and recovery side of it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
If it were me in northern Spain I’d asked to be towed onto nearest ferry bound for Uk and deal with it when back in Blighty, I’m sure it wouldn’t cost £5000 would it??
My mate did this with motorbike, he was unable to ride, they recovered him to zeebrugge and the ferry workers sorted out the embarkation and disembarkation, his mate picked it up with a van!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They still use the AA so I assume DAS is the AA's partner.

I do wonder if the breakdown companies are trying it on as I know someone who had a Motorhome transported from southern Germany to his UK address it cost £1500.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i just renewed my insurance with Comfort and although i do not have their recovery package ( lucky enough to have ADAC ) to be afir to Comfort the £5000 limit was very clearly stated on the intro documentation.

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
i just renewed my insurance with Comfort and although i do not have their recovery package ( lucky enough to have ADAC ) to be afir to Comfort the £5000 limit was very clearly stated on the intro documentation.

I also have ADAC but they do not provide recovery back to the UK anymore !!!!! Although they will still sort you out in a breakdown situation and recover to local garage and everything else ADAC supply
But no more recovery to UK only Germany !!!!!! So be careful!!!!!!! That’s why I have comfort breakdown and recovery too as my back up !!!!!!

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
They still use the AA so I assume DAS is the AA's partner.

I do wonder if the breakdown companies are trying it on as I know someone who had a Motorhome transported from southern Germany to his UK address it cost £1500.
I think it’s all down to the size of your Mh and space on recovery trucks at the time of recovery required !!!!!! As another friend of mine with a smaller Mh was recovered back to the UK at no extra cost from the Algarve in Portugal and paid for her to travel home by train all the way although this was her choice as she could not fly due to her old dog and this was through comfort and DAS too !!!!!
so it’s all down to size and Availability of recovery truck !!!!!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What I said in zac saga last month. top whack fro a ring up recovery truck regardless of weight is 1€ per km here
I also have ADAC but they do not provide recovery back to the UK anymore !!!!! Although they will still sort you out in a breakdown situation and recover to local garage and everything else ADAC supply
But no more recovery to UK only Germany !!!!!! So be careful!!!!!!! That’s why I have comfort breakdown and recovery too as my back up !!!!!!
They recovered me from France back home to spain last june. & paid for hire car, hotel,etc. I think it must just be to the UK ?

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
What I said in zac saga last month. top whack fro a ring up recovery truck regardless of weight is 1€ per km here

They recovered me from France back home to spain last june. & paid for hire car, hotel,etc. I think it must just be to the UK ?
Yes I think your right, it’s only the UK they won’t recover back too as it requires another ferry journey whereby recovery to the eu don’t!!!! Glad you got recovered back home and ADAC sorted you out as per the usual good service of ADAC :)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

could you direct me to where that information is please as my terms and conditions state.... i have just paid my renewal and i have seen nothing about this limitation on cover.
Quote"
"We help you with the organization and implementation and assume the costs of returning the vehicle to your place of residence. We also take over the necessary towing and setting costs for you.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I am about to pay my ADAC renewel and also would like confirmation of this change of terms.
I have sent an email to ADAC but as yet no reply.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Currently their website states that they offer “vehicle repatriation from anywhere in Europe” but I can’t see that this includes back to the UK.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Currently their website states that they offer “vehicle repatriation from anywhere in Europe” but I can’t see that this includes back to the UK.
[/QUOTE

it did include it , ... and in their term it does not state UK is excluded.

So I cant see why it is not included!! unless they confirm back to me different.

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
could you direct me to where that information is please as my terms and conditions state.... i have just paid my renewal and i have seen nothing about this limitation on cover.
Quote"
"We help you with the organization and implementation and assume the costs of returning the vehicle to your place of residence. We also take over the necessary towing and setting costs for you.
I had a letter last year telling me that Recovery to the UK was no longer available although will still respond to a breakdown anywhere in Europe and recover to a local gge Also they are not taking on any new members that do not have an address in Germany so I suppose they changed the rules some but I still keep my ADAC going for breakdowns and all the assistance that comes with it and just renewed mine in November and got a gold card for 10 years membership!!!!!

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I had a letter last year telling me that Recovery to the UK was no longer available although will still respond to a breakdown anywhere in Europe and recover to a local gge Also they are not taking on any new members that do not have an address in Germany so I suppose they changed the rules some but I still keep my ADAC going for breakdowns and all the assistance that comes with it and just renewed mine in November and got a gold card for 10 years membership!!!!!

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I am about to pay my ADAC renewel and also would like confirmation of this change of terms.
I have sent an email to ADAC but as yet no reply.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
That’s what I thought as well so that’s why I still renewed mine too and got a gold card !!!!!!!! LOL

i had an issue with me ageing passat last year and they sent out the AA in the UK as normal. so i guess it may be just the repatriation bit back to the UK.

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Yes your right mate as I was an AA man in the past life and went to many breakdowns in UK for ADAC and the AA still do for ADAC members on there behalf.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Anyone heard from ADAC yet ?
I sent an email for confirmation but as yet nothing.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i am still waiting a reply, had the auto generated replies.....

Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
Its definitely worth reading all the small print.

Ive just copied this from the Comfort website;

WHAT IS INSURED? Emergency Roadside Repairs and Home Breakdown
We will arrange and pay for an approved repairer to attend the scene of the breakdown and carry out emergency repairs to your vehicle if you are unable to drive it.
Recovery of your vehicle and anyone in it to a suitable repairer or if the breakdown happens in the UK, your home address if this is nearer.

So basically they will take you to a garage and that's it.
Who says what is a suitable repairer?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back