Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
Tamworth UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie!
About to travel through Europe - France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and into Italy.

Crapping myself for first time driving on the right in a MH.

Should I be???

:Sad::whatthe::Eeek:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It will become second nature, and you may even prefer it.

The biggest test will be one-way systems in cities - everyone always gets a moment when they go blank, and can't remember which side it what when they get to a two way junction! lol!

Just collect yourself and keep to the left- no right! - no left - no right! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You will be fine!:thumb:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Seems like your first treck is a long one,just relax we all make small mistakes ,and ,when approaching junctions or roundabouts my wife kept reminding me with her favorite saying .Keep right Keep right .and it does help .have a great time and keep safe.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's easy and becomes second nature.. I have just booked our ferry for Thursday..
If you are going via Calais you go straight out onto a motorway so gives you time to adjust, just let all the trucks get out of the way as they are always in a rush to get going..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvIRt72iUUc"]Motorhome guide 3 - Arriving at Calais - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry about crap audio.. :cry:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Europe

You'll be fine. In lots of ways it's easier being able to look out of your right hand window and see the kerb/edge of the road.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You are going to be driving a very long way! You will find that it is nowhere near as scary as you expect it to be and after a short while it comes naturally. Make sure that your passenger is briefed to be aware of the need to advise you when joining a road coming from your left as you will have a restricted view to the left, rear side of the van. After all that distance you will be well used to it.

You'll probably find their road systems better than ours and, apart from big cities usually less busy. You'll see plenty of open road.

It is only natural to be anxious for the first time but I'm sure it won't be nearly as bad as you imagine.

Wyn

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Having just driven a LHD car, in France, I found getting used to the car the bigger problem, not driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. Assuming you have had a chance to get familiar with your 'van, you shouldn't find it too difficult. One advantage, with a MH over cars, is the height of the driving position for seeing ahead and your partners face is always a good indicator for if it's safe to overtake. Enjoy your trip.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
About to travel through Europe - France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and into Italy.

Should I be???

No No No......it is so simple.....It's just the same as driving on the left

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The biggest danger is pulling out of side turnings/petrol stations etc. It's all too easy to pull into your usual position on the road, i.e., the left hand side......WRONG!

What I used to do with fellow motorcyclists I used to lead on European tours was to give them a DYMO label with KEEP RIGHT on it, and stick it on their speedo.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just wait until you get to Italy.....but you'll be used to it by then :roflmto:

Watch out at some French rural roundabouts and junctions....you give way to traffic joining the roundabout and to turn left onto (rural) sideroads you turn right onto a 'loop'...same thing as a UK cycle path junction...then stop before crossing both lanes.
The above doesn't apply all situations so you need to look for signs.

Make and place a card on your dash stating KEEP RIGHT.

Nothing worse after a night stop than unwittingly turning onto the wrong side of a deserted road.

Last edited:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Just take it easy, and you'll be fine,most important enjoy your travels:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Should I be???

Nah. You barely even notice. It is much harder as a pedestrian than as a driver to remember. The only times you'll forget is when there isn't anyone about to remind you which side to drive on after pulling out of a petrol station. Of course, when that happens, there's nobody about to hit, either.

However, it is well worth getting yourself a decent wide angle mirror on your near side before you go. A tiny stick-on one won't cut the mustard. Merging seems to get you into a massive blind spot. I get this in the UK, though, rather than Europe, as it is LHD anyway.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Got a sat nav? Mine always reminds me as soon as I start the engine...

Catherine

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Europe

I agree with Wynn and Jean. The only thing that threw me, first time over there, was the traffic light system. No amber and you can drive on if the lights are flashing - carefully! Oh and one other tip; wait until you get over there before you drive on the right.::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you have to drive on the right side in the uk .
if not it would be the wrong side .ha ha .
always drive on the rightside . be it left or right .

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
that's why I fitted 3 cameras & have 2 continuous screens on fixed to the map holder:

1. continuous complete coverage of the rear - basically a wide angle rear view mirror with IR
2. switchable coverage of the left hand pillar blind spot
3. switchable coverage of the rear left hand area not covered by the above

the wide angle mirrors (long stalk) on my Peugeot look like they should do the job but they don't. If you have that type of van with the small wide angle mirrors I would recommend getting a bigger wide angle mirror. They don't cover pulling out into traffic on a right hand turn from a side road onto a main road and sometimes its impossible to get the right angle to see properly on the smaller side roads. That's where the cameras come in - they are the cheap reversing type that can be bought as a set off ebay. no problem with continuous running. My van has a massive blind spot in those conditions due to the size of the Peugeot pillar and location of the hab window.

Also get the safety sticker which reminds you which side to take islands and is stuck on the windscreen http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Driverigh...cessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item3ccf791f94n
:thumb:

also watch out for 'live' pedestrian crossings by which I mean traffic can turn right even though pedestrians have right of way. Sometimes the idiots cross against a pedestrian red light because they can or they have not bothered to check if their pedestrian light is green & just assume you will stop or assume its their right of way. Mixing crossing pedestrians with right turning traffic is idiotic IMHO and no doubt the cause of many accidents in the countries that practice it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Driving on the right? Doddle.
Remembering to drive on the right? Not so easy. As already stated, THINK before emerging.
Went to pull out of lay-by to turn around, looked right, eased out, BEEEEEEP,
nearly lost front of car as lorry came from left !
That was in 1994. Still haunts me today,:Eeek: but I still have to think when crossing an urban dual-carriageway with no lights.
First they come from left, then after halfway they come from right as I turn left into right lane ! !
If in doubt, DON'T! pause and think first.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Should I be???

No.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as said you do quickly get used to it but i find the danger points are the short stops ,when you stop for a quick coissant and pull away again although it may be me thinking about the cake rather than the road

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We were also very worried the first time we did it, now we can't wait to get back over there.
Tez did pull out of side junctions twice on the wrong side, lucky no one was coming the other way!
The thing that got us was the priority to the right in some , not all, big cities, that threw us but once aware of it we were ok.
After getting used to priority to the left mostly on roundabouts that is a weird situation..
Roads out of the cities though are much better and a pleasure to drive.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Don't worry.The roads are generally a lot emptier and as long as you stick next to the kerb you can't go far wrong!:thumb:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Apart from in the towns ( we did get a bit lost in Ghent!) the driving is easier than in the UK in my opinion. We took our motorhome and a transit across to Belgium which made it a bit more tricky ( only one sat nav between us so hoping not to lose anyone!! ) my then 29 year old daughter quite happily drove the transit around with no problems. Relax and enjoy your holiday ::bigsmile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, As said before easier than you'd think, just be careful stopping for a cuppa , it's when you pull away it's time to remember to concentrate (think look left ,drive on right) using a sat nav certainly helps as not thinking about road signs thats town /city names leave's you to pay attention o the road. When and where are you thinking of going? where ever you go relax and enjoy.
Terry:sin::rain::sin::rain:

OP
OP
Gianolio

Gianolio

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
Tamworth UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie!
OK, did it - what was the fuss all about??

A lot easier than I thought.
Dont know what I had to worry about - then when I got back to the UK, I actually preferred the European roads.

Crazy that innit?

:ROFLMAO:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
You'll be fine, I usually nearly make mistakes when I am back in the UK after driving thousands of miles overseas.

Just keep the road kerb outside your drivers window and you'll be fine at junctions etc.

Cars approach very fast from behind on the German autobahns, don't spend a millisecond longer that you have to in the over taking lane haha.

French motorways, don't forgot you are Class 2, sometimes those un-manned automatic lanes attempt to charge you Class 3 (lorry)...££.

Have fun, sounds like an awesome trip!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I find it much easier and relaxing to drive on the continent, but watch out when walking as I find the biggest problem is looking the wrong way when crossing the road.:Eeek:

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Driving a RHD in Europe isn't too bad - I guess you may not be doing much overtaking.

Check the law - in France I think you are supposed to carry a breathalyser, hi vis jacket, warning triangle, spare bulbs etc. All these can be hired - You don't want to be easy prey for les Gendarmes.

Look out for speed cameras, in France they look like dustbins in the centre reserve and they turn to track you.

Watch out for day 3. I find day 1 & 2 I'm very aware of driving on the wrong side, then I start to relax and think - I can do this...... that's when you're likely to make a mistake.

Oh and I love the Wacky Races style free for all between the toll booth exits and the 3 or 4 lane autoroute. It's insane :)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Also dont forget in built up area's the trafic coming out of a side road on your right may have the right of way.

This can take a bit of geting used too

Mel

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Nothing worse after a night stop than unwittingly turning onto the wrong side of a deserted road.

I've done this twice - leaving a campsite and driving on the left ... Easy done.

I'm going to get some speeds converted between kph and mph so it is easier to keep to the speed limit. I'll stick them to my dashboard along with some pictures of the more obscure road signs that I need to be aware of.

Have fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back