Europe wide toll tag / pass? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nope. (y)

Each country has their own different system and different rates.

Some are toll based for which you can sometimes buy a tag type thing i.e. France.

Some have a flat rate system where you buy a vignette or similar i.e. Switzerland.

Some don't have any kind of charge i.e. Belgium.

Then you have a few standalone things to contend with like the Mont Blanc tunnel where tags and things don't work anyway.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
The same question again regarding access to cities from a polluting point of view. Will one pass cover all countries, I fear the answer may well be the same !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The same question again regarding access to cities from a polluting point of view. Will one pass cover all countries, I fear the answer may well be the same !

You would have thought that there'd be an EU-wide sticker/tag that could be applied by manufacturers or converters indicating the Euro classification of the engine, which could be integrated into pollution control systems. However that would be too much like common sense.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

You would have thought that there'd be an EU-wide sticker/tag that could be applied by manufacturers or converters indicating the Euro classification of the engine, which could be integrated into pollution control systems. However that would be too much like common sense.

Again there is no Europe wide clean air zone policy for cities. Everyone is doing their own thing.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Heading in the right direction

Servitir

Do you know for sure you will be detected as class 3?

Never mind what your MH actually weighs or whether it technically should be class 3 or not. In practice things work slightly differently. Unless you're over 3m high by a margin the chances are you will be detected as Class 2 in France in which case that device is no good for you or if it does work will be a bloody expensive way of doing things.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Do you know for sure you will be detected as class 3?

Never mind what your MH actually weighs or whether it technically should be class 3 or not. In practice things work slightly differently. Unless you're over 3m high by a margin the chances are you will be detected as Class 2 in France in which case that device is no good for you or if it does work will be a bloody expensive way of doing things.
There are height detectors as you go through!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There are height detectors as you go through!

Yes I know there are. That's why I specified weight and said unless you're over 3m.

We're way over 3500kg but well under 3m high and have always been detected as Class 2.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I know there are. That's why I specified weight and said unless you're over 3m.

We're way over 3500kg but well under 3m high and have always been detected as Class 2.
If you are as you say "way over 3500kg" you are also way over class2, if you are using a Sanef/liberT tag I would imagine that you accepted their terms and conditions when you applied tor the tag and one of those conditions would be that you were only going to use in in a vehicle less than 3500kg and less than 3 metres, therefore when you present this type of tag at a toll booth the default position is Class2 as per the terms and conditions, likewise the Telepass system is Class3 or Class4 and NOT to be used on vehicles less than 3500kg.

Me, I just stay off toll roads.

Martin

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you are as you say "way over 3500kg" you are also way over class2, if you are using a Sanef/liberT tag I would imagine that you accepted their terms and conditions when you applied tor the tag and one of those conditions would be that you were only going to use in in a vehicle less than 3500kg and less than 3 metres, therefore when you present this type of tag at a toll booth the default position is Class2 as per the terms and conditions, likewise the Telepass system is Class3 or Class4 and NOT to be used on vehicles less than 3500kg.

Me, I just stay off toll roads.

Martin

I sometimes take the tag down so there's no chance of it registering and go through a manned booth to see what it detects me as. Always Class 2. If I then show the tag I'm just waved forward until I reach the tag sensors.

I can't be bothered to go through this all again because it bores me. I'll just do the short version.

When you drive up to a toll the system detects what class it is going to charge you before it registers anything else. The tag sensors are further forward, almost at the barriers. If I'm ever detected as Class 3 the tag won't work.

If I was ever travelling a van the size of yours or a big HGV and put the tag in the windscreen it wouldn't work.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I sometimes take the tag down so there's no chance of it registering and go through a manned booth to see what it detects me as. Always Class 2. If I then show the tag I'm just waved forward until I reach the tag sensors.

I can't be bothered to go through this all again because it bores me. I'll just do the short version.

When you drive up to a toll the system detects what class it is going to charge you before it registers anything else. The tag sensors are further forward, almost at the barriers. If I'm ever detected as Class 3 the tag won't work.

If I was ever travelling a van the size of yours or a big HGV and put the tag in the windscreen it wouldn't work.
Interesting, I wonder if you fitted a Telepass Class3 tag would you be rejected and have to manually pay Class2.

Martin

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

So don't go through it and bore yourself, and just accept that you manage to achieve life changing financial benefits others are simply unable, or frankly cannot be bothered to achieve.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Interesting, I wonder if you fitted a Telepass Class3 tag would you be rejected and have to manually pay Class2.

Martin

More than likely yes.

Both types of tag are nothing more than a payment method. They don't have any effect on what class you are detected as so if you tried to use one for a "wrong" class it would be an invalid payment method just like if you try to use a currency card.

Think about it. The Sanef tag is valid for Class 1 & Class 2. It is registered to the person, not any specific vehicle. Sanef don't even ask for details of the vehicles. If the tag guaranteed Class 2 then you wouldn't be able to use it in a Class 1 vehicle and vice versa. That's why the Class detection system is at the start of the booth and the tag detection system is at the front right at the barrier so that the first system has decided what class it wants to charge you before you get close enough to trigger the tag system.

I know at least one of the HGV versions is valid for Class 3 and Class 4 so the same would apply to those.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So don't go through it and bore yourself, and just accept that you manage to achieve life changing financial benefits others are simply unable, or frankly cannot be bothered to achieve.

Haven't achieved anything other than being able to queue jump and go through the HGV lane at 30kmh (y)

I was always Class 2 before I got the tag so it's not a benefit, quite the opposite, it actually costs more when you factor in the monthly fees. (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back