Mike Roll

Free Member
Dec 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Chausson
Exp
Since 2002
After December 31st 2020 a visa will be needed for longer or multiple stays in Schengen Area if staying more than 90 days in any 180-day period.
This means that a visit to France for a month around Easter time would preclude a visit to anywhere in Schengen in the summer. The way round this is to buy a long stay visa.
However apart from all sorts of evidence production, including insurance, proof of salary or pension payments, and a visit to a consulate which may be hundreds of miles from home, a complete list of all the places where one will stay during the visits with dates, is needed.
This is not the way many motorhome tourers travel. The cost for the visa will be about €100 per person.
I'm sure this will be a bit of a shock to many motorhomers as it is to us.
I cannot get any definite information from the French consulate except the details of the website.
Brexit was a marvellous idea wasn't it?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I don't understand, if you use say 30 days at easter you cannot have say another 30 days in the summer, it's still within the 90 day allowance in any 180, or am I reading this completely wrong. If we need a visa €100 is a small price to pay anyway.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Visas for short trips: you will not need one if you’re a tourist​

If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Different rules will apply to Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. If you visit these countries, visits to other EU countries will not count towards the 90-day total.

You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel.

So as usual we can go for month in April and a further month in September - No problem

Brexit was a marvellous idea wasn't it?

Motorhome holidays is a small issue in the scale of things.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Mike Roll

Free Member
Dec 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Chausson
Exp
Since 2002
Work it out. My plans are in trouble.

My bookings to cross the channel.
Travel for two months from 28/03/2021 until 27/05/2021 = 60 days
Second booking from 16/06/2021 until 19/08/2021 = 64 days
Total for the period 28/03/2021 to 19/08/2021 = 124 days

The 90 day limit from 28/03/2021 would be 26/06/2021

Thus I cannot have my second visit to my booked site in June to August without applying for a visa at €100 per person with a 250 mile round trip to a consulate. In addition I have to have my fingerprints taken, my pension statements checked, my health insurance certificate checked and my passport surrendered for checking and returned at my cost a couple of weeks later. I am supposed to give full details of my itinerary, when we were just planning to stop at sites on spec as we usually do.

Additionally our proposed trip to Spain in late autumn/winter will not be permitted unless I get full visas.

I've had to plan using an Excel spreadsheet to confirm in my own mind.

Wasn't Brexit a simply marvellous idea?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
.dont know where the 100E came from but take a look at this thread;

it suggests a lot less..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
.dont know where the 100E came from but take a look at this thread;

it suggests a lot less..

apart from being incorrect

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I wonder what transit arrangements there will be. For example, if I want to take my van to Norway (not in the EU), given that there are no ferries direct from UK to Norway, I will have to transit via the EU. In that scenario I do not wish to stay in the EU, merely transit. Are we to be imprisoned because the only way to leave the UK overland is via an EU country?

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I wonder what transit arrangements there will be. For example, if I want to take my van to Norway (not in the EU), given that there are no ferries direct from UK to Norway, I will have to transit via the EU. In that scenario I do not wish to stay in the EU, merely transit. Are we to be imprisoned because the only way to leave the UK overland is via an EU country?
Yes I believe so :( :( :(

Deleted User

Norway is in the Schengen area but not in the EU, the 90 day rule is a Schengen rule not EU so still applies to Norway.

If you transit the Schengen area to visit a non Schengen country then you will cross via a border/customs checkpoint and your passport will be inspected and recorded, follow the 90 day rule and there will be no problem.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
I came across the following on Facebook yesterday, it might be interesting to some if true.

Sorry not true, just read a later article that says different

Last edited:

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I came across the following on Facebook yesterday, it might be interesting to some if true.

t took me some time to fathom out just how to get round the 90 day rule, but like most things in life given enough time it can be done. OK, it will cost you the princely sum of 7 Emus, but nothing worth having is for free. During the transition period, Brits won’t need a visa to go to Europe. But that will change when the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is implemented next year. From 2021, if you want to visit Europe for longer than 90 days, British travellers will need to complete an online ETIAS application form before going to Europe. It will cost €7 to register for three years and you’ll need to do it 72 hours before you want to travel. The ETIAS isn’t a visa – it’s a visa waiver and will work in a similar way to the ESTA visa-waiver scheme in the US.
That has already been aired on this thread see #6. It wasn't correct then and it still isn't.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back