Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
372694F1-D86D-43DC-8584-48C4343B5D16.jpeg
C2E016F9-7245-4EE9-A928-7A38AC170E30.jpeg
4CC153F2-4747-48D9-844A-32ACF457C334.jpeg
I have these fittings. Are they useful for France, Portugal and Spain EHU? If not please will someone send me a link to buy the correct converter plug. Thanks.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We've used the one in the bottom picture. Split the blue end and it goes from two pin at one end to three at the other then use your normal ehu cable.
We carry three cables 10/20/25 mtr lengths and have twice used all three together.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Any idea what the top converter is used for? Will it be useful to take?
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
it looks like the opposite of the bottom one, which is useful

If I am correct it converts the blue standard plug to a two pin european plug. Cannot see a use for it

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Any idea what the top converter is used for? Will it be useful to take?
Thanks
The top one looks like a socket for the bottom adaptor. So I'm guessing it is for a Frenchman ('cos it's a French design) who only has a cable with an end like the bottom one and who needs to plug into a post with the blue type socket. This is backed up by the blue plug being a male one so this is the end which fits into the EHU post. If that makes sense. :)
So if you have the usual lead with blue ends then you only a two pin adaptor but not the one you are showing in the bottom picture as that needs a socket with an earth pin. It will be fine in France but the typical two pin sockets you will find have earth connectors on the outside.
You need one like this: (www.amazon.co.uk/European-Adaptor-Coupler-Caravan-Camping/dp/B00EHI8WR4) It will take an earth pin connection but also has earth connectors on the outside. The one you have will not give you an earth in many two pin sockets. I suggest throwing it away. :)

51bW21ITRSL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Cliffdale For the relatively small cost involved I would be throwing away what you have and buying a nice new one, yours look slightly rusty and I wouldn't be happy using them

the @DBK photo looks perfect, we have that although not needed anyway near as much in recent trips, but twice in last months trip round France (y)

online or local accessory shop should stock them (y)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Just to be clear the top adaptor is for use with a French domestic plug. It is the French system that has the earth pole of their sockets sticking out like that

Often nowadays the domestic plugs of other mainland European countries are of the "Schuko" design (intended to be able to be used right across main land Europe) and thus have both a hole to accept that French earth pole AND the earth strips up both sides to connect to the earth points on most sockets elsewhere in mainland Europe outside of France.

But many plugs on equipment in Spain, Portugal etc only have earth strips that connect to the standard sockets in other, non-french countries, not also a french-specific earth-pole hole.

Thus that particulate adaptor may in practice not be any use for many plugs in other mainland European countries outside of France.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The plug and socket are the French type. The socket has a reverse pin which is an earth connection. The plug is completely round (no flat bits) and has a hole to take the earth pin.

The plug will not fit any socket in Spain or Portugal. They use German 'schuko' sockets which do not have a reverse pin, but have two sliding earth contacts instead. Schuko sockets have flat bits to stop round French plugs going in.

The plug in DBK's picture is a hybrid plug that fits both French and German sockets. Notice the two contacts on the outside, and also the hole to take the reverse earth pin. Also it's not completely round. Any appliance you buy in France, Spain or Portugal will have a hybrid plug on it.

The standard kit is a 25-metre cable with blue plug and socket, plus an adapter like DBK shows. Use the adapter if the hookup is not a blue socket.

My guess is, the previous owner used a standard French domestic extension cable, with these two adapters to connect to blue plug/socket. I'd ditch them both.

Reactions: DBK

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
The plug and socket are the French type. The socket has a reverse pin which is an earth connection. The plug is completely round (no flat bits) and has a hole to take the earth pin.

The plug will not fit any socket in Spain or Portugal. They use German 'schuko' sockets which do not have a reverse pin, but have two sliding earth contacts instead. Schuko sockets have flat bits to stop round French plugs going in.

The plug in DBK's picture is a hybrid plug that fits both French and German sockets. Notice the two contacts on the outside, and also the hole to take the reverse earth pin. Also it's not completely round. Any appliance you buy in France, Spain or Portugal will have a hybrid plug on it.

The standard kit is a 25-metre cable with blue plug and socket, plus an adapter like DBK shows. Use the adapter if the hookup is not a blue socket.

My guess is, the previous owner used a standard French domestic extension cable, with these two adapters to connect to blue plug/socket. I'd ditch them both.

Sorry but I think as per my post above that the Schuko trademark design plug is the Europe-wide one which had both the hole to take the French socket earth spike And has the earth strips up the sides to make contact with the side - earth contact points in other non-french European country sockets

Most plugs sold / used in the domestic market in Spain and Portugal are actually NOT the Schuko design ; they have the side earth strips only, and not also the only-in-France-needed earth pole hole in their base.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
OK, we're deeply into darkest geekland, splitting hairs as we go, searching for the true meaning of 'schuko'.

Schuko is short for 'schutz kontact' (= protective contact), and refers to CEE/3 sockets and CEE/4 plugs, which have the twin sliding earth contact (but no reversed pin or corresponding hole). The socket is recessed, the earth contacts mate before the two main contacts connect, preventing any possible contact with fingers etc.

The French socket (CEE/5) and plug (CEE/6) have a reversed earth pin and hole, and completely round shape (as in the OP)

The hybrid plug, with both twin earth contacts and hole for the reversed pin, is designated CEE/7 and is designed to fit both a CEE/3 and CEE/5 socket.

If you go into a DIY store in any country it is actually quite hard to find a rewireable hybrid plug to make an adapter. Most of the plugs are either French or German. Mains adapters and extensions are mostly non-hybrid. In contrast, appliances with moulded plugs always have the hybrid plug (CEE/7).

A friend of mine living in France near the German border had the kitchen rewired. The electrician fitted German sockets, but the rest of the house had French sockets. How important was it? Until I pointed it out a year after it was done, she had never even noticed. Everything uses hybrid plugs.

France, Belgium, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland use the French plugs and sockets.

UK, Switzerland, Denmark and Italy have their own special plugs and sockets.

Everywhere else, including Germany, Spain, Scandinavia, Russia and Turkey, use the German plugs and sockets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back