Europe Breakdown recovery with dog??? (1 Viewer)

Zacshoomans

Free Member
Aug 16, 2019
Bath
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 2013
Exp
Newbies
we pick up our first MH on friday - and go off on our first adventure next week - so trying to sort out insurance & breakdown cover asap.

we keep being told that dogs aren’t covered in breakdown - it’s human passengers only.

What does everyone else do with a dog??

thanks!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Good question, I`d never really considered that.
I`ll be interested in the replies.
I just assumed wherever we went, he`d come too.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Recovered from Alpe d'Huez last summer by Fiat and the dog was no issue.

We're with Comfort insurance and I'm not aware of problems with the dog, I'll be interested in any comments to the contrary..

Terry

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Where are you going? The French love dogs, can't see it being a problem here at least.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I suppose it depends on the circumstances. If you're travelling with the vehicle I'd just leave doggy in the van. If you have a replacement vehicle, well shouldn't be any problem. However being re-repatriated is a different thing; we too have never thought about it though.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
A very interesting question,that I haven’t considered,so no idea of the answer.
We are with Comfort too for breakdown cover and with Staysure for travel insurance. Don’t have the documents with me at the moment to check,but will do so in due course.

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
We were with comfort insurance on our burstner when it went pear shaped in Switzerland, they hired an estate car so we could get the dogs in, as well as most of our essentials, left the rest in the van until it was repatriated.

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
The AA do not accept dogs in their recovery trucks. This is due dog hair transfer and allergies.
So their policy is no dogs. It matters not who you are insured with.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The AA do not accept dogs in their recovery trucks. This is due dog hair transfer and allergies.
That`s probably a good reason not to sign up with the AA if you have a choice and a dog.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally it's up to the decresion of the recovery driver, could be difficult in Spain to get them to take the dog.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you own a dog you'll have dog hairs on you so even if you don't take the dog into the AA vehicle you'll still transfer some hairs ... I'm not with the AA as we just have Fiat's own recovery at the moment as it came free with our camper.

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
Good point @ minxy girl
I found out the hard way @ figaro - I’m insured with Comfort and have their breakdown cover and they use the AA so I had no choice. It’s something I will look closely at when it comes to renewal....

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
If you own a dog you'll have dog hairs on you so even if you don't take the dog into the AA vehicle you'll still transfer some hairs ... I'm not with the AA as we just have Fiat's own recovery at the moment as it came free with our camper.
My welsh terrier doesn't moult so no dog hairs, will he be ok.

OP
OP
Zacshoomans

Zacshoomans

Free Member
Aug 16, 2019
Bath
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 2013
Exp
Newbies
Thanks all for the responses so far - would be great to hear more though.

Will be back onto it shortly - and will feedback what we learn.

So far we’ve been told ‘no dogs’ or ‘at discretion of recovery driver’ - which isn’t great comfort - so it’s great to hear what actually happens in reality.

Most of time will be in France, but also expect to cover Belgium, Switzerland, Italy , Spain.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We are with ADAC and they will repatriate dogs if the need arises. Unfortunately, they are no longer accepting new members from the UK. :(

OP
OP
Zacshoomans

Zacshoomans

Free Member
Aug 16, 2019
Bath
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 2013
Exp
Newbies
Just on the phone to Comfort (with the best quote) but they say that dogs are at the recovery drivers discretion.....

Adrian Flux - Jude said repatriation of animals is included

Motorhome Direct - Ross said that Silver Knight underwriter confirmed that dogs are NOT included.

Safeguard - dogs at discretion of recovery driver

OP
OP
Zacshoomans

Zacshoomans

Free Member
Aug 16, 2019
Bath
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 2013
Exp
Newbies
Good point @ minxy girl
I found out the hard way @ figaro - I’m insured with Comfort and have their breakdown cover and they use the AA so I had no choice. It’s something I will look closely at when it comes to renewal....

Hi In The Pink - What did you do? Was this in the UK or in Europe?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just on the phone to Comfort (with the best quote) but they say that dogs are at the recovery drivers discretion.....

Adrian Flux - Jude said repatriation of animals is included

Motorhome Direct - Ross said that Silver Knight underwriter confirmed that dogs are NOT included.

Safeguard - dogs at discretion of recovery driver
That’s not a lot of use if at recovery driver discretion. If broken down on side of motorway what are you to do ? Even if Adrian Flux says dogs repatriated, that not the same as picking up by recovery vehicle whose drivers will be the same for all insurers.

It’s probably worth travelling with a collapsible cage of the fabric sort to help your chances but I don’t know what you would do with a large dog such as GS other than they have to remain in the MH.

OP
OP
Zacshoomans

Zacshoomans

Free Member
Aug 16, 2019
Bath
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 2013
Exp
Newbies
That’s not a lot of use if at recovery driver discretion. If broken down on side of motorway what are you to do ? Even if Adrian Flux says dogs repatriated, that not the same as picking up by recovery vehicle whose drivers will be the same for all insurers.

It’s probably worth travelling with a collapsible cage of the fabric sort to help your chances but I don’t know what you would do with a large dog such as GS other than they have to remain in the MH.

Agreed thats its all very confusing and not helpful - which is why i wondered what peoples actual experiences are.

Luckily Zac is a JRT and we have a travel cage for him - so hopefully leaving him in the MH would always be an option?

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
We are with ADAC and they will repatriate dogs if the need arises. Unfortunately, they are no longer accepting new members from the UK. :(
Adac use AA in this country who were utterly useless with our breakdown
Sadly had to change insurers

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
In ten years of owning Motorhomes and taking a great interest in anything concerning dogs I've never heard of or seen a forum post anywhere where a dog has been left behind during breakdown recovery.

The owners presumably ride in the truck and the dogs in the Motorhome - isn't that the common sense solution ?

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zacshoomans

Zacshoomans

Free Member
Aug 16, 2019
Bath
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 2013
Exp
Newbies
In ten years of owning Motorhomes and taking a great interest in anything concerning dogs I've never heard of or seen a forum post anywhere where a dog has been left behind during breakdown recovery.

The owners presumably ride in the truck and the dogs in the Motorhome - isn't that the common sense solution ?

:france: :france: :france: :france:

I hope so!

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Just been rereading the Britannia booklet associated with flexplus
Dogs not exactly excluded
But not INcluded either
At discretion of breakdown at scene
And they won’t pay any costs associated with repatriation
Think I’ll phone in the morning
Only have this account for this European breakdown and they’re stopping the K21/2 3% in November

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
we pick up our first MH on friday - and go off on our first adventure next week - so trying to sort out insurance & breakdown cover asap.

we keep being told that dogs aren’t covered in breakdown - it’s human passengers only.

What does everyone else do with a dog??

thanks!

When our camper was recovered when the engine destroyed itself
On the A12 in Essex we were recovered the two jack russels
HAD to travel in the camper we had dog belts for them still
Worried and got the driver to stop to check a few times

We only had to travel 40 miles though

Driver did say he wasnt allowed to take his own dog with him
In case of allergy problems from other future passengers

At least there was a sensible reason rather than just health n safly

I assume most breakdown firms will be similar

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Our motorhome broke down in Germany a few weeks ago - and it's currently still there awaiting repairs.
Our experience with our dog is as follows:
a) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PLAN for such circumstances
b) we have European Breakdown through Advance Insurance - it's provided by the RAC
c) we were recovered twice in this trip. On one occasion the recovery driver was very happy for the dog (a 38Kg Old English Sheepdog) to travel in the cab with us. On the 2nd occasion there was no room for even my wife so she had to follow by taxi with the dog - remember to get a receipt for the taxi journey as this should be covered by the breakdown insurance - my wife forgot :-(
d) The breakdown insurance arranged for us to stay at a dog-friendly hotel for 3 nights - but we had to pay the extra charge for the dog plus all food etc.
e) The breakdown insurance provided a car for 24 hours for us to get back to Calais. If we wanted it for longer or wanted to return it in the UK then we would be responsible for these charges, Note it was about £350/day MORE if we returned it in the UK.
f) We could not find a way to get the dog back to the UK unless it was in a vehicle! Instead we arranged for a friend to get a day return crossing in his car to come and rescue us.
g) After the fact I now understand that there are at least 2 other methods:
- it is possible to travel through the tunnel with a dog by using the minibus that is used to transfer cyclists - that may be 'by negotiation' as opposed to being a defined service
- there is a taxi firm in Folkestone that will come across the Channel to collect you

Finally, let me repeat what I said at the start - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PLAN - and do this in advance so you know what to do!!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I read a thread on a facebook group recently, where someone was having to have their van repatriated, but they had a problem with regard to getting their dog back to the UK without a vehicle.

They put out plea on facebook, looking for someone to give them a lift back with the dog. They were very lucky to be offered a lift by some kind strangers. ?

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Before you buy breakdown cover, check what comes with the vehicle. I didn't and spent money on duplicate cover.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back