Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I got 1.34 with FairFX BUT i recon by the time i jump the ferry in 5 weeks it will be at least 3.5+ but when in France you will do better still with British pounds .Take a few with you lol.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The ECB's sale of bonds is due to go on into 2016, it started this week which explains why the rate is going bonkers. It could well continue but it is bad for us as a country - it makes imports cheap and exporters struggle. As a result the Bank of England might fight back. The only people happy, apart from British holiday makers are the German car and train makers etc, who can export to their heart's content because of the euro's depressed value.

Bring back the Deutchmark!

More info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31811791

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The ECB's sale of bonds is due to go on into 2016, it started this week which explains why the rate is going bonkers. It could well continue but it is bad for us as a country - it makes imports cheap and exporters struggle. As a result the Bank of England might fight back. The only people happy, apart from British holiday makers are the German car and train makers etc, who can export to their heart's content because of the euro's depressed value.

Bring back the Deutchmark!

More info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31811791

There is much in what you say DBk but as most of our exporters import the raw materials used in manufacture there should be a balance. There won't be any balance because the BoE is fixated with UK deflation. In 2001 whilst in Spain we were getting 1.61 to the £ and very pleasant it was too!:)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Keep an eye on the rate as the polls start coming in with the May election. Maybe worth having a bit at the current rate

I think the money markets would view it differently PJG....within a short time of Ed Balls becoming the chancellor I think there would be increased inflation as the UK Govt borrowed from all and sundry at the same rates as the Greeks are currently suffering...........Then we would see rates back at their 2001 peak of 1.61 to the £. (imo fwiw of course;))

Reactions: DBK

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It is 4am on Wednesday and the £ is now euro 1.411501. Just after 8am the gentlemen of the Bank of England will get to work and will begin buying Euros with taxpayers £'s just as they have done every day for the last 3 months. The £ will drop until about 4pm. The BoE will close it's venerable doors and when they've gone home all the £'s they've spent will disappear into the traders bottomless pockets and the £ will rise again. Just as it has done most days over the last three months. I sense that even the 'experts' at the BoE are becoming bored with this merry go round, let's hope so.

And a quick reminder for the sceptical of just how myopic the 'experts' can be:-
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-...me-into-financial-history-forever-2010-6?IR=T

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We just get cash at the days rate from a machine here in Spain. No need to carry large amounts of cash about and risk losing it. Yesterday it was sid by a money expert on TRE that they expect the Euro to continue up to and above 1.45 to the £

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I bought some at €136.6 last week from TravelFX and their rate has already risen to over €1.38 this week. I will only use the euros when I am unable to pay by credit card as that will give a much higher rate, currently over €140 ;)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Halifax Clarity Credit Card Rate now €1.4180

Very good website and free App to follow Mastercards exchange rate is de.com (recomended to me by adviser off Halifax.

Then you can make a knowledge decition if to use you credit card, prepaid card (you know what was the rate when topup) or hard cash!

Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Halifax Clarity Credit Card Rate now €1.4180

Very good website and free App to follow Mastercards exchange rate is de.com (recomended to me by adviser off Halifax.

Then you can make a knowledge decition if to use you credit card, prepaid card (you know what was the rate when topup) or hard cash!
I just tried de.com and it's not correct? Did you mean xe.com?

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
I have just got €1,41 with my usual monthly Transfer with the above(y) loving it, my Pension is currently worth around €250 more a month than this time last year as ist paid in Sterling into my UK Account. :D

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
1.42 now and the prediction is for 1.50, I'm holding tight for now, but when you do buy get over 1000 to ensure the best rate

Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We use the Clarity card whenever possible and always get an excellent rate when our statement comes through. Much better than using cash and we have never had trouble getting it accepted, even in auto pumps at petrol stations. (y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
When I worked in Spain in 2009 it was 1:1. I was very happy converting from Euros to GBP! :LOL: - Gordon

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I have just tried to apply for a Halifax Clarity card - as per Martin Lewis recommendation - and apparently I am/we are not eligible as we have another credit card with Halifax. I am going to phone them in the morning to ask why not, or perhaps give up the MasterCard in exchange.

First time in France we don't know how much money we shall need. What happens with a prepaid card if you don't spend up to the limit you have pre-loaded? Should I just get euros now and take the usual debit cards with me?
What does everyone else do?:(

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We take the loaded card and use the internet to keep topping up as we need the euros, so by the end of a trip we normally have cashed out the Euro top up card. Re the unused euro on the pre paid card. If you know that you will not need Euro agian then cash it out at an ATM prior to coming back to the UK as Euro withdrawels in the UK normally incure a charge. Then sell them to someone else for Pounds if you can, try not to exchange them at money bureau as you will need to pay a higher Euro amount for pounds to change

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
why would you use a card and pay a fee for each transaction?

We just buy euros and now they are at such a good price it`s worth buying more than you need and keeping them for next time.

Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
why would you use a card and pay a fee for each transaction?

We just buy euros and now they are at such a good price it`s worth buying more than you need and keeping them for next time.
There is no fee using the Halifax Clarity card and you get a much higher exchange rate than buying cash (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back