Euro tunnel price hike (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
as I understand, the £17 goes directly to DEFRA to run the pet passport scheme.. not the ferry/tunnel operator..

I don't think it's equitable either.. two dogs is an extra £68 for us.. :(

last trip we used the tunnel .. but it will be the last time .. no more trips via Dover.
It's £15 each way with P & O.
With DFDS no charge out but double back home!!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Some of the ferry vouchers are car only so check before you buy

Yes I found that out, t&c not very clear, so I had a live chat to find its car only on DFDS
It's £15 each way with P & O.
With DFDS no charge out but double back home!!

So as I pay going out using tunnel and return on Ferry I end up paying even more!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The rate is set at 3 x the original Tesco face value vouchers (FVV), so for example £30 Tesco FVV = £90 Eurotunnel voucher. We've used £50 Tesco FVV = £150 Eurotunnel voucher which covers our return crossing exactly (£75 each way) so only have to pay extra for the dogs ...

Blimey Helen, you must be feeding the 5,000 (or a all those in 'The Jungle' in Calais) You've ALWAYS got vouchers. We use ours, but we've gone none left after one trip a year!

Who's Helen? o_O I'm Mel!!! :D

Anyway, we usually fill the camper and car there and do some shopping too, plus we look out for offers giving extra points - we've still got just under £70 of Tesco 'points' (which equal £210 if used against the tunnel) and have just re-done our electric/gas and got 1,500 extra points for changing to a better tariff with E.On so that's another £45 towards Eurotunnel; plus we haven't got the Tesco vouchers due out in November yet (we choose to get them in one 'lump' rather than in dribs and drabs throughout the year) so that should top the 'pot' up nicely. Hubby often buys up end of season camping stuff etc at reduced prices from Tesco to sell on when the season starts against so that puts a few more points into the pot too! At some point we'll get to the end of them but not any time soon thankfully! :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
plus we haven't got the Tesco vouchers due out in November yet (we choose to get them in one 'lump' rather than in dribs and drabs throughout the year) so that should top the 'pot' up nicel

You can log in to the website at any time and see an up to date balance without waiting for the vouchers to come in the post (y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
share frequent traveler and pay £108 year round for a return

'Frequent traveller' has worked for us, BUT does anybody know if it is routinely increased in price each year eg 1 January, or something like that?

We share it with our neighbour and won't be travelling through the tunnel again until next year - so would it be better to renew sooner rather than later, given the deal lasts 12 months from the date of purchase?

Mike

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
'Frequent traveller' has worked for us, BUT does anybody know if it is routinely increased in price each year eg 1 January, or something like that?

We share it with our neighbour and won't be travelling through the tunnel again until next year - so would it be better to renew sooner rather than later, given the deal lasts 12 months from the date of purchase?

Mike

went up a bit a year or two ago...cant remember how much. My only reservation is this year it has become more popular so crossings more difficult to get, wife works in education so alwas stuck with prime time crossings..if you travel mainly out of season you will probably not notice

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Look at it this way, Dover to Calais tunnel £200 ret, Portsmouth to Caen ferry £230 ret and you are going to Brittany from Yorkshire which route would you choose?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Look at it this way, Dover to Calais tunnel £200 ret, Portsmouth to Caen ferry £230 ret and you are going to Brittany from Yorkshire which route would you choose?

look at it this way:) Tunnel £108 return any time of year. sharing frequent traveler scheme

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
look at it this way:) Tunnel £108 return any time of year. sharing frequent traveler scheme
Look at it this way.

Tunnel with Tesco vouchers can be FREE!:whistle:

Off topic, just used £20 of Tesco vouchers to get £80 of vouchers to eat in Bella Italia. Still got enough vouchers left for the tunnel next Spring.(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Look at it this way.

Tunnel with Tesco vouchers can be FREE!:whistle:

Off topic, just used £20 of Tesco vouchers to get £80 of vouchers to eat in Bella Italia. Still got enough vouchers left for the tunnel next Spring.(y)

at tesco prices? no thanks:)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
at tesco prices? no thanks:)
So, the little extra that we spent at Tesco does not balance the £80 of free nosh gained?

Not to re-mention the FREE tunnel crossing.

Mmh?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
So, the little extra that we spent at Tesco does not balance the £80 of free nosh gained?

Not to re-mention the FREE tunnel crossing.

Mmh?

Sorry...dont support tax evaders that don't pay a living wage

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Too far to Tesco to do shopping and the "local" Tesco doesn't have a fuel station anyway.

I wish Nectar would do some sort of deal with the Tunnel or one of the ferry companies. I have suggested it to them!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
BLOODY HELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just gone to book the chunnel and it has gone up again !!
This time it is coming back with £212 !!!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
BLOODY HELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just gone to book the chunnel and it has gone up again !!
This time it is coming back with £212 !!!
Clear your cookies! Better still sign up for frequent traveler

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Too far to Tesco to do shopping and the "local" Tesco doesn't have a fuel station anyway.

I wish Nectar would do some sort of deal with the Tunnel or one of the ferry companies. I have suggested it to them!
The reason we use Tesco for shopping is the THREE nearest supermarkets are all Tesco.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Clear your cookies! Better still sign up for frequent traveler
Just did it on an incognito window.. Same price
redid on a 'normal' window and it dropped by £11.. This is just nutty.

Would do the frequent traveller thing but we only ever go over twice a year so would not be a saving at all

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can log in to the website at any time and see an up to date balance without waiting for the vouchers to come in the post (y)
Very true ... that's another £90 in Tesco FVV!!! (y) In total we'll have £70 already + £90 to come + £15 from E.On for our switch + £15 for my Mam's E.On swap (she hasn't got access to a Tesco so I'll just give her £15 cash as a swap which she's happy with) = £190 x 3 = £570. :D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just did it on an incognito window.. Same price
redid on a 'normal' window and it dropped by £11.. This is just nutty.

Would do the frequent traveller thing but we only ever go over twice a year so would not be a saving at all

You share it with friend or family or other forum member...For instance @FIDGET looking for someone.... even if you take two returns each your quids in, better if you share with someone who wants 3 obviously. all explained in my thread of France forum

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back