Euro Travel Insurance to cover >500cc (1 Viewer)

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
We have travel insurance, which includes repatriation, that covers us for less than 125cc and any size bike if it is our "mode of transport from the UK", but not if it is being towed from the UK.

I've looked at a few specific options (Dogtag and Bennetts inc.) and they come in at £100+, I still need to check with Carole Nash (our insurers) what their Personal Accident option at £43 provides, if anything, when travelling.

I'm wondering how others cover themselves, and their partners, for repatriation in the event of an accident on a bike? and at what cost?

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
What a good question.!

Going on a tour in May so will check. Thanks for posting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I think that most folks are unaware of the restriction that you describe. I came across it in preparation for my current trip away (in my case I think my cover went up to 150cc).

If anyone has a solution I’d be interest as I plan to take a larger bike on my next trip.

One solution that I had considered was booking a separate ticket for the bike, towing the bike to the tunnel, checking in at Eurotunnel with both the bike and the MH (wife drives the MH through and I ride the bike), cross the channel as two independent vehicles, disembark both vehicles in France and then load the bike back on the trailer and continue on our trip. Repeat for our return.

I spoke to a couple of biker folks on my current trip and they had no awareness of this restriction.

Ian

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
i use holiday safe for trackdays all over europe and they also cover general use.

Are you sure that you have been covered? The following is a screenshot from page 3 of the policy document in the link that you provided.

2C5AFEA9-BF46-4524-9476-8C96FC272FC0.jpeg

Ian

Edit: They offer six different policies, and having now checked them all, they all have this same restriction. You may wish to reconsider who provides your insurance. ☹️

Last edited:

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
They offer six different policies, and having now checked them all, they all have this same restriction.

It states "is taking a trip which starts and ends in the UK", why should this be an issue? It doesn't stipulate in that line that it should be on the bike, does it elsewhere?

We also take our Harleys on a trailer behind the PVC, though we don't use Holidaysafe for insurance.

Mick

Bagofsand

Free Member
Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
To be built
Exp
I have a few friends who have claimed on these policies and have had no issues. The trip must start in the uk and the end of the trip must also be in the uk in between you can be any where in europe. Give them a ring and they will confirm this.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have a few friends who have claimed on these policies and have had no issues. The trip must start in the uk and the end of the trip must also be in the uk in between you can be any where in europe. Give them a ring and they will confirm this.

It states "is taking a trip which starts and ends in the UK", why should this be an issue? It doesn't stipulate in that line that it should be on the bike, does it elsewhere?

We also take our Harleys on a trailer behind the PVC, though we don't use Holidaysafe for insurance.

In my experience, and I suspect that of the OP (given the point of the thread), seeking clarification of the conditions gave a very clear answer that the journey must start (on the motorcycle) in the UK and end in the UK. If it is a motorcycle specific policy, it’s difficult to put any other interpretation on that clause.

tuscancouple - are you able to, definitely, confirm that you have cover? This thread could prove to be beneficial to you if you cant or to the rest of us looking for cover, if you can confirm your cover.

Ian

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
We have travel insurance, which includes repatriation, that covers us for less than 125cc and any size bike if it is our "mode of transport from the UK", but not if it is being towed from the UK.

are you able to, definitely, confirm that you have cover? This thread could prove to be beneficial to you if you cant or to the rest of us looking for cover, if you can confirm your cover.

The OP is asking about travel insurance. We use the Nationwide travel insurance where it states under hazardous activity no cover when:

"motorcycling on machines exceeding 125cc unless you hold a full motorcycle licence and have done so for at least three years and are accident and conviction free."

I spoke to the insurance company just now to check, again, that we are covered when taking the Harleys on a trailer, confirmed no probelm :giggle:

Mick

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The OP is asking about travel insurance. We use the Nationwide travel insurance where it states under hazardous activity no cover when:

"motorcycling on machines exceeding 125cc unless you hold a full motorcycle licence and have done so for at least three years and are accident and conviction free."

I spoke to the insurance company just now to check, again, that we are covered when taking the Harleys on a trailer, confirmed no probelm :giggle:

Mick

That’s interesting as Nationwide was one of the companies I spoke with. As reassuring as your conversation with them is, you can bet your bottom dollar that they’ll interpret the written clauses to their benefit/your detriment.

The text you quote is a different requirement. From what I’ve seen, most of them seem to include the requirement for the journey (on the bike) to start/finish in the UK.

Does your policy have wording similar to that in the image I posted above?

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Guys,

We have multi trip travel insurance with LVE (Liverpool Victoria) which covers us for any size of a bike, £275 p.a for both of us.

Don't know if it's what you're looking for but it's another one to check anyway.

Also, try here : http://www.bikerstravelinsurance.co.uk/, and here: https://overlandmag.com/insurance/

I‘ve just looked at LV’s policy wording and they dont seem to have the restriction being discussed here; result!

Thanks for that.

Ian

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I can't remember which company I used but we have done many trips on the Harley and also towing the Harley on the back of the MoHo. Never had to claim but I do check terms and conditions before I buy

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Hi and thanks to all who've responded, it's been interesting looking into this.

I considered the option of booking the bike and moho on the Boat/Train separately, however, only my name would be on the ticket, so Chris wouldn't be covered, even as a pillion.

After a search through lots of offers, I've found Multi trip cover for the two of us (upto 31 days in any one trip) from Zurich at a grand total of 45 Groats, any size bike we're fully licenced to ride in the UK and don't have to start the journey on the bike... £10,000,000 Medical.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Update... For Information.

At the time of selection I didn't think that Chris' Arthritis would need mentioning, but, after reading a number of posts in the MH Insurance section of this site, and reading a number of Policy documents, I called Zurich this morning to check. The original quote was 45 Groats, they wanted another 47 (102 total) Groats to cover her condition so I cancelled it... (Within 14 days).

I've spent quite a bit of time today comparing quotes and checking for UK M/C Licence cover that include a declared medical condition, where the M/C is not the "mode of transport...etc", found one that is ONE whole Groat more 46 to be exact - 4 Star Defacto rated Multi-Trip...

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
A further update.

Lots of time on this and lots of options either suspending giving quotes at all at the moment or restricting to 125cc and under.

As mentioned by bigtwin and Knowledgeseeker LV came out very competitively and with much more sensible medical questions. Nearly £300 better than the next best which was AllClear who would cover for over 125cc bikes.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

I've looked at a few specific options (Dogtag and Bennetts inc.) and they come in at £100+, I still need to check with Carole Nash (our insurers) what their Personal Accident option at £43 provides, if anything, when travelling.

I'm wondering how others cover themselves, and their partners, for repatriation in the event of an accident on a bike? and at what cost?

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock.
I added motorbikes of any engine size to our insure and go policy. Previously it only covered up to 125cc. It cost me a further £20 per year.

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
Whenever I travel abroad on my bike or if I hire a bike abroad. I use holidaysafe.
You can tailor it for Europe of worldwide. I take out an annual policy which also covers me on my normal holidays as well.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Whenever I travel abroad on my bike or if I hire a bike abroad. I use holidaysafe.
You can tailor it for Europe of worldwide. I take out an annual policy which also covers me on my normal holidays as well.
I looked at Holiday Safe but they have suspended issuing new policies at present

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back