Euro ski trip campsites/aires (1 Viewer)

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Hi
Last year my three month Euro ski trip with Paddington (my vw) went belly up when I fell and tore my a.c. Ligaments in my shoulder in the three valleys. So I'm now planning for next year....co vid permitting. I'm looking for some advice on campsites/ aires to stay. I've already sorted some places.

My requirements are
Big ski resorts...get bored
Don't care about apres ski....Don't drink
Not far from lifts....Got bad back struggle to carry skis
Limit time on local ski shuttle....to limit risk of co vid
If an aire...near swimming pool for a shower

So far the plan is:
12 Dec st Anton, apartment....Got one for €100 more than campsite. Got an issue paying €50 a night for camping!
19 Dec soll, apartment
26 Dec serfaus, campsite
2 Jan morzine....aire or sports centre parking??? Chances of getting on an aire at new year??
9 Jan val disere, apartment as no aires there
16 Jan paradiski, les lanchettes camping
23 Jan les menuires, aire
Then I was thinking
Alp dhuez....But no aire there anymore...Any recommendations?
Les deux alps, aire
Maybe serre chevalier??
Then milky way...thinking sestrie....recommedations?
Anywhere else in Italy before heading back to austria?
What's the chances of getting into an aire during February and does anyone know of a site/ book for sites in austria? Thanks

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
For France worth looking at Montgenevre massive aire right by ski lifts , on the border with Italy.

In Serre Chevalier Monetier les Bains is just a large car park but with a tap and dump point, easy to get on the chairlift. To be honest we haven’t stayed there in winter.

Valloire is a handy ski spot the aire is now closed ( and doesn’t look to be reopening ) but there is a good campsite in town. We used to like it up at Les Verneys at the top end of Valloire and they upgraded the lift up there so it’s quick up the mountain. The aire used to be up here but this has been closed , it might still be ok to park up there.

Manigod ( up from La Clusaz) there is a big car park at Croix Fry next to a lift which it’s acceptable to park in with a motorhome . No real facilities so it’s really just a short stay but you can ski from there over to La Clusaz as long as you buy the right day pass.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There is an aire at LDA but we prefer to use the campsite below in Venosc. The gondola gives up to KDA then it’s a shirt walk to the main lifts. Champ du Moulin is the campsite. It has a boot room, restaurant and sauna. The only downside is the last gondola back down is about 7:30pm. Lovely proprietors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Hi
Last year my three month Euro ski trip with Paddington (my vw) went belly up when I fell and tore my a.c. Ligaments in my shoulder in the three valleys. So I'm now planning for next year....co vid permitting. I'm looking for some advice on campsites/ aires to stay. I've already sorted some places.

My requirements are
Big ski resorts...get bored
Don't care about apres ski....Don't drink
Not far from lifts....Got bad back struggle to carry skis
Limit time on local ski shuttle....to limit risk of co vid
If an aire...near swimming pool for a shower

So far the plan is:
12 Dec st Anton, apartment....Got one for €100 more than campsite. Got an issue paying €50 a night for camping!
19 Dec soll, apartment
26 Dec serfaus, campsite
2 Jan morzine....aire or sports centre parking??? Chances of getting on an aire at new year??
9 Jan val disere, apartment as no aires there
16 Jan paradiski, les lanchettes camping
23 Jan les menuires, aire
Then I was thinking
Alp dhuez....But no aire there anymore...Any recommendations?
Les deux alps, aire
Maybe serre chevalier??
Then milky way...thinking sestrie....recommedations?
Anywhere else in Italy before heading back to austria?
What's the chances of getting into an aire during February and does anyone know of a site/ book for sites in austria? Thanks

Im thinking about going to Campsite Huttopia Bourg saint maurice on 12th dec or 27th dec. 170 euro for 7 nights.
Montegenevre aire is also an option 65 euros for 7 nights with electric hookup.
Im just outside Edinburgh and will travel down in the motorhome to ferry or eurotunnel for midnight crossing.
If you are going to Austria I take it your VW transporter has winter tyres fitted?

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Im thinking about going to Campsite Huttopia Bourg saint maurice on 12th dec or 27th dec. 170 euro for 7 nights.
Montegenevre aire is also an option 65 euros for 7 nights with electric hookup.
Im just outside Edinburgh and will travel down in the motorhome to ferry or eurotunnel for midnight crossing.
If you are going to Austria I take it your VW transporter has winter tyres fitted?
I bought a set of winter tyres and chains last year when I had an autosleeper nuevo. So I need to buy a new set for the vw as it's a different size. My understanding last year was that you need them for France too???
I had looked at huttopia last year, but wasn't sure how long the lift up took....I like to sleep in in the mornings. Also camping at les lanchettes allowed good access to les arcs and la plagne.
thinking about Montegenevre for access to the milky way....But wondering if there is somewhere more central as Montegenevre seems on the edge.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
In Paradiski we prefer the campsite at Montchavin, walk to lift a

http://www.campingmontchavin.com/fr/

last year we went to Dolomites you’d love the superdolomiti ski pass as it covers every resort. Good campsite at Corvara, aire at colfosco, car park style aire at Gralba near Selva, and so on, sadly trip got Cut short due to rising COVID.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have skied for 35 years but only discovered the Sella Ronda 2 years ago we've now been 3 times it's fantastic. A big area fairly well linked nice looking good artificial snow capabilities. This year though I suspect will be the first one missed since the kids were little I just can't see how skiing is possible with social distancing (I mean in the lifts/queues/busses etc). While we aren't party people we also enjoy a few drinks after skiing particularly in bars with music and a bit of atmosphere it just won't be the same.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
In Paradiski we prefer the campsite at Montchavin, walk to lift a

http://www.campingmontchavin.com/fr/

last year we went to Dolomites you’d love the superdolomiti ski pass as it covers every resort. Good campsite at Corvara, aire at colfosco, car park style aire at Gralba near Selva, and so on, sadly trip got Cut short due to rising COVID.
I had come across the montchavin site before. I was a bit worried about staying there, as I believe there is a steep hill to walk up to the lifts.........due to my back problems I struggle to carry my skis for any distance.

re the dolomites- is it all linked ie can I ski from base back to base each day without having to drive to a starting point. I wasn't sure from the piste map.

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
I had come across the montchavin site before. I was a bit worried about staying there, as I believe there is a steep hill to walk up to the lifts.........due to my back problems I struggle to carry my skis for any distance.

re the dolomites- is it all linked ie can I ski from base back to base each day without having to drive to a starting point. I wasn't sure from the piste map.
The Sella Ronde is a loop that takes about 4 hours one way and 3 hours the other (I think - been twice - last was 3 years ago; add another hour for a nice lunch), with circuits up and down outer valleys/peaks: Pralongia plateau for motorway blues; Marmolda, high, great and worthwhile BUT . . . only in good weather and then every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks the same, so waits at the base lift (for the 2 x 50 person gondola - will it go in Covid times?) took 45 min to an hour; needs an early start to the day).

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If your considering Venosc although the distance from the campsite is 500 metres (just got maps to measure it) its all up hill from the campsite. The link is from the bubble looking down to the campsite.
We left our skis in LDA

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
If your considering Venosc although the distance from the campsite is 500 metres (just got maps to measure it) its all up hill from the campsite. The link is from the bubble looking down to the campsite.
We left our skis in LDA
That's a good idea

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
How about Piau Engaly in the Pyrenees? Large Aire directly beneath the main area, was €9 inc. 3amp leckky when were there around 2012. mainly french and Spanish skiers very few if any english.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
How about Piau Engaly in the Pyrenees? Large Aire directly beneath the main area, was €9 inc. 3amp leckky when were there around 2012. mainly french and Spanish skiers very few if any english.
the piste area doesn't look very extensive. Not enough to keep me occup led unless there is extensive easy ski touring in the area.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We called in on the way back from Lisbon and only stayed a couple of days as I didn't ski then, there is a lift in st lary soulan down the road but don't know what that ski area is like and I believe some more heading San Sebastian way and also of course Andorra. A French couple told us that some of the steepest runs anywhere were in Piau Engaly no idea if that's true or not.
I agree it's nowhere near as extensive as the Alps, just somewhere different not regularly frequented by UK residents because of distance.

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Paddington, I would ski Alp dHuez any day in preference to LDA, no comparison. There is the La Cascade campsite at the bottom of the hill and I believe there is at least a modest bus service up & down, if only the Post Bus. The other option would be the small aire near Vaujany, the back door to Huez - can't tell you if it's still available though.
An alternative to Val d'Isere would be La Rosiere with a stop at the Camping del la Foret. Lovely campsite, and you get two resorts for the price of one with proper pasta for lunch in La Thuile!
CB.

OP
OP
P

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
I had a week in alpe d huez two years ago and enjoyed it. The following week I went to lda but didn't ski as all my gear was stolen. Think the site at vaujany maybe accommodates 8 vehicles, so not much chance of getting on it. Do you know how long it takes the bus to get up from the campsite? Wondered about roughing it at the l'eclosse car park.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back