Euro cylinders for upvc type doors are the locksmiths bread and butter. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A huge amount of euro cylinders are in use and being fitted to all upvc type doors. These locks are the bread and butter for many locksmiths. Reason being is that this twin barrel unit with a key holes at both ends can be an expensive nightmare if you leave your key in the inside slot. For when the key is in one end, the other end wont work stopping reentry if you shut the door, even using the second key.
shopping

I know this because my daughter locked herself out last night having left her key in the inside lock, with every window in the house shut. :(
Me being me we got back in without the 300 pound charge for the locksmith. If you want to know how I did it just ask.....;)(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
drill the barrel out with a 4mm drill .. then turn the lock with screwdriver

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
drill the barrel out with a 4mm drill .. then turn the lock with screwdriver
That is what I thought, one of my options until I read that the 5 pins are now being hardened to prevent drilling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A huge amount of euro cylinders are in use and being fitted to all upvc type doors. These locks are the bread and butter for many locksmiths. Reason being is that this twin barrel unit with a key holes at both ends can be an expensive nightmare if you leave your key in the inside slot. For when the key is in one end, the other end wont work stopping reentry if you shut the door, even using the second key.
shopping

I know this because my daughter locked herself out last night having left her key in the inside lock, with every window in the house shut. :(
Me being me we got back in without the 300 pound charge for the locksmith. If you want to know how I did it just ask.....;)(y)
As you have to put the key in to lock it when leaving how could she have left the key in the inside lock and actually locked the door in the first place?

... I assume you went in via another unlocked door? Or you put a think piece of wire etc through from the outside to the inside and pushed the key out?

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just use a lock snapper
Again another option but can destroy the lock and damage the door you will also need a gizmo to unlatch the lock and some locks are now not breakable using the old method...

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Or you put a think piece of wire etc through from the outside to the inside and pushed the key out?
Outside is not attached to inside barrel.
As you have to put the key in to lock it when leaving how could she have left the key in the inside lock and actually locked the door in the first place?

My front door has one & the key is always in it on the inside . When leaving & locking up we remove it & hang it up as we use 4 or 5 other sets of keys.

Any time we had one we'd just shear it off at the centre with a chisel & hammer .Unless of course we'd made the door/reja which then meant we had welded shields on to prevent snapping the locks off-:D

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

... I assume you went in via another unlocked door? Or you put a think piece of wire etc through from the outside to the inside and pushed the key out?
Blimey I'm glad I did some research before I started this....:) Not sure about your first paragraph but I think locking the door when leaving just activates the second lock, you still need a key to get back in, however, having left the key in the lock prevents using the other side. You cant get the inside key with wire because it wasn't at twelve o-clock.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
This key works ok even if another key is left inside the lock ....[/ QUOTE]

Red-Enforcer-600x600.jpg

Last time I had one of them red keys used
It took 3 officers and a fireman 30 minutes to open the door

And the local residents started complaining
Till the police started evacuating the properties
within 150 yards

Locksmith turned up and said I could of done it quicker
I just said immediate wasn’t quick enough

I needed entry to a ground floor flat with explosive gas readings
At the letter box (empty flat residents on holiday )

And the time was midnight and people smelt the gas
All day and called at 22:30

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Following around 2hrs researching on the internet the time taken to get into the house was approx. 2 mins. Making good and wiping with a damp cloth then being congratulated with a huge kiss from my daughter 5 mins....;) Total cost ten pounds.
I think I will do a YouTube video how to avoid using a locksmith.....:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Blimey I'm glad I did some research before I started this....:) Not sure about your first paragraph but I think locking the door when leaving just activates the second lock, you still need a key to get back in, however, having left the key in the lock prevents using the other side.
With our lock if we leave a key on the inside we cannot lock it from the outside so by default cannot lock ourselves out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Following around 2hrs researching on the internet the time taken to get into the house was approx. 2 mins. Making good and wiping with a damp cloth then being congratulated with a huge kiss from my daughter 5 mins....;) Total cost ten pounds.
I think I will do a YouTube video how to avoid using a locksmith.....:D
Please tell me you didn't wee into the lock !!!! o_O

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
was on facebook today if its not locked you can open with a butter knife without damage

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Just replaced 3 eurocylinder locks on the bungalow we are selling due to the dozy tart that was renting it,between her and her dumb brats losing keys we told her we were changing the locks at her expense. She accepted us doing this as I would replace them myself, also changed a damaged gearbox as it had been mangled in the past. Would be interested for you @buttons to PM me how you gained access as I have never managed to lock myself out of any of my properties with the key left on the inside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
was on facebook today if its not locked you can open with a butter knife without damage
No idea, don't use facebook, however I did a bit of research last night and learnt a bit about these mechanisms and I cant see how that could work. Some locks can be cracked using a credit card but not modern upvc doors.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Last but not least how secure is your own door,:eek: for as we all know, anything is only as safe as it's weakest point. While researching my daughters lock problem it has opened my eyes to the weaknesses of some of my own security locking mechanisms.
As I said earlier, lock breaking is the burglars favored method of entry, he/she can be in within 30 seconds and out again in a flash with their bag full of you booty, they don't have any conscience for the damage they might do.
I was in Norfolk once and a number of outboard motors were stolen overnight. All the motors were securely locked to he stern board, so what did they do....they used a chainsaw to cut the stern board and took the motors away locks chains and all.....:(

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Elderly mother-in-law hadn't opened her curtains by 1pm the other week, neighbours rang us as they were worried. Neighbours have keys but couldn't get in - she'd left her keys in the inside of the lock. No answer to doorbell or phone, but she's deaf as a post these days so that's no great surprise.

Police broke in whilst I was on my way up there (we're a 90 minute drive away), she was fast asleep in bed but she wasn't right, every time she gets a minor infection these days it really knocks her out. 3 weeks in hospital but back at home now and all is well.

The Police went in as I thought they would, using the "big red key" on the panel in the bottom of the back door - the locks can be as strong as you like but the panel is the weak point, and unlike breaking a window it means there is no broken glass to climb through. The panel was destroyed, but what surprised me was how difficult they are to buy - no one stocks them, they are all made to order on a 5 day lead time, no good for me as I needed to make the house secure that day! Finally found a manufacturer in Manchester with a spare one from a cancelled order I could have and cut down to suit. I only wanted a bog standard plain white panel as well, in a standard thickness.

I could really do with having a lock barrel where you can unlock it from the outside even if the key is on the inside - she's at the stage where her short term memory is very poor, we tell her to not leave the key in the lock but she just doesn't remember, she's been leaving it in there for years. I've checked and it looks like I can change the lock barrel for one with a thumb turn only on the inside - could be a good option.

Last edited:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
we have a front porch with a 1/2 glass front and a letter box and a solid composite inner door with no letter box.
we recently changed the locks to Ultion locks - https://www.ultion-lock.co.uk
Wr put a thumb turn on the outer porch door, as we leave the inner door open when in the house - and the thumb turn means it is easy to lock - the downside of a thumb turn is that if it is close to the letter box, it is vulnerable to a hand reaching through the letter box and flipping the tun and unlocking the door (or breaking a pane of glass)

if the thumb turn is away from the letter box, then they are super convenient.

Gazz Kaz+Spag

LIFE MEMBER
May 2, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
Most houses with Euro profile locks are rubbish. In Yorkshire loads of houses get broken into via the lock. The outer handle is snapped off near the lock leaving the outer edge of the lock exposed. Mole grips on the lock and twist........your in. As the video above nearly all vertical locks are cheap ones and vertical are anti snap or sacrificial and very hard to get in this way including drilling. You can also leave the key on the inside and lock from the other side or unlock not like years ago when it stopped it working on both side. I changed all mine when I moved in quick and easy and about £25 a lock and can be all keyed the same.

Jan 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Do not own one yet
I've changed tomorrow the last Eurolock in my house and now I feel much more safe as I was before. a couple of houses in my area were robbed via drilling the lock, most of them were eurolocks. I've called the locksmith finsbury park and I was told I have to change all the eurolocks if I want to be safe. Of course it costed me some money but I think its worth

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Changed ours to the ABS avocet (as per the picture). Very happy with them.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
shopping

Were the locks the same as in the picture. The look like the Avocet ABS security locks.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I have fitted these front and back of our house

Join us or log in to post a reply.