Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi, guys how many funsters use a euro cash preloaded card (looking at Travel FX mastercard)? Is there any disadvantages on using this method? Never used a pre-loaded card before, but as we are going for an extended period this year, don't really want to carry too much cash. It would appear that this is 'free' to load, withdraw and pay at major places. Your opinions/or other thoughts will be much appreciated.:thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have been using a Caxton Card for the past three years. It has been used in Spain, Italy, France, Luxembourg and Belgium without any problems or charges.

Brisey.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
WE are in France now and the automated fuel stations has declined the Caxton card twice, had to resort to my Santander credit card.
Thank goodness it took that, lots of fuel stations automated here only taking cards.
They are accepted in shops and campsites, the pin code is not needed strangely enough, they are just accepted without one which is worrying should anyone steal it.
Only time I had to enter it was to get money out of bank which they don't charge you for incidentally.
otherwise a great card to have with no withdrawal charges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have a look at this thread, I like the look of mytravelcash

Broken Link Removed

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I have looked and asked questions about Euro cash cards for months.
Finally decided to get a Caxton FX card as the exchange rates are reasonable. Another reason
is the ability to transfer money to my Spanish bank without charge and still at the decent rate.
Most appear to be very much the same so it's down to individual choice really.

dadsmad

Free Member
Feb 18, 2013
newtownards
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we used the post office card without any problems last year
we were in dublin france switzerland italy and andorra
i dont believe there is any charge at all, we will have it for this summer in europe

andeb

Free Member
Dec 9, 2012
On the road
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 665HS
Exp
Since 2008
We have been using a Caxton card for nearly 2 years, no problem loading, via the internet or mobile phone, all very simple, that said Caxton have recently switched from Mastercard to Visa and since then we have had a similar problem as trish-n-tez when trying to refuel in France at the automated fuel kiosks, thankfully the SAGA (does that give my age away?) credit card saved the day. That aside a very useful card, accepted without problem Europe wide.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Just about to set off ourselves and have gone for the FairFX card as it offers the best rate.:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have been looking at cards as I no longer wish to pay Santander £1.25 per transaction and 2.75% conversion fee!
Caxton is my preferred card but read their own comments, I still expect to go for Caxton and pay with cash or other card for tolls (if used!) or at automatic filling stations.

ic_petrol.jpg
4. Automated petrol stations
Automated petrol stations on the continent usually take a security deposit when you first swipe your card. No money actually leaves your account at this point, but your available balance is reduced.

A couple of days later (it can be up to 15 days), they will process a settlement increase for €120 (for example) which will raise your available balance by €120. Simultaneously, they will process a settlement decrease where they will remove funds from your card to cover the actual amount of fuel you purchased for example €45. In the period between the two your account will appear to have been debited by €120, but it has not.

Only when the settlement decrease goes through has money actually left your account.

This procedure is not unique to Caxton FX cards, or indeed any prepaid card. All cards issued by any institution are treated in the same way whether they are debit, credit or prepaid cards.

ic_toll.jpg
5. Toll booths
Caxton FX currency cards require a merchant to seek authorisation before they provide the goods or services. The majority of European toll roads and bridges do not seek an authorisation and therefore you can't use your Caxton FX currency card at most toll booths.

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Just topped up my FairFx card with Euros at 1.16 today! Better rate than any of the normal sources Thompson's 1.10, Post office 1.06 (unless £500 then 1.09) Barclay's 1.09 but charge 3% if you use a debit card to pay for the euros same bloody charge at Lloyds

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Cash cards

i used FairFX last couple of years excellent exchange rates,never being refused anywhere nor should i ,all these cards are as good as cash .once paid two euro,s for using a cash machine in France ,but that is all i have. ever paid.there is also the point that no one could get anymore than is on the card which keeps your bank account safe.Highly reccomended.:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I guess we all have our own solutions!

I use a PO credit card for as much as poss. It is commission free and has a reasonable exchange rate. I keep an eye on the transactions using Internet Banking. I generally use different cards in the UK.

For cash, I keep a separate bank account with not too much in and its own debit card. So I draw out of that at ATM's, and top it up from a different account using Internet Banking when I need too.

That way my main debit card does not get used abroad and I am not much at risk if the one I do use is lost or compromised.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you hold a prepaid card its worth getting a second card in case of loss or theft.

I have been using FairFX for the last 5 years and it has been trouble free.

FairFx do a 'friends and family' duplicate card, cost £6, and you can transfer cash between the cards for free.

Very easy to top up by SMS or phone call, and as posted before, most probably the best retail exchange rates.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
According to the FairFX card info, they charge €1.50 when you use the card at a cash machine ... :Sad:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well , I have looked and looked at these cards and it appears to me that the ICE card wants some beating compleatly free everywhere and one percent cash back and a good rate, no one has mentioned it so there might be a catch that I haven't seen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back