Euro 6 v euro 5 = clean air zones, help (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I have heard some say that the best view of Manchester is in the rear view mirror, but I'm sure it's destined to outlive the worst efforts of ex MP & New Labour odd-job man, Andy Burnham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
We too will be affected in the Manchester clean zone as we have a2012 euro 5 engine, we are resigned to paying £10 a day to enter/exit the zone adding £20 to a trip away. We have spent too much time and money to swap our van.

However the OP asked about Europe If we drive in Europe and break the rules on clean air zones over there how will be charged/caught?

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
That won’t cut with Andy , motorways cut thru his fine kingdom !
I live within half a mile of the M60 and it’s no wonder Burnam wants to involve it in the scheme, the amount of traffic on there is phenomenal, he sees the hgvs on the M60 going onto the M62 towards Liverpool or towards Leeds and thinks of the money that could be made.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Alas mine is a 15 plate, but it is a euro 5+, you would have thought the + would have helped. Alas no, except in Bristol, but nowhere else, as yet.
euro 5 plus is compliant in london i got a grant to upgrade work van and they paid part towards a 5 plus

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Alas mine is a 15 plate, but it is a euro 5+, you would have thought the + would have helped. Alas no, except in Bristol, but nowhere else, as yet.

I have a 16 plat Ducato euro 5+, but I've always reckoned the '+' is just some sort of Fiat invention that doesn't have any currency in the real world... :unsure:

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
I have a 16 plat Ducato euro 5+, but I've always reckoned the '+' is just some sort of Fiat invention that doesn't have any currency in the real world... :unsure:
I have a 5+ was told it is a 6 but was not recognised as such as they had not been released ( same or very similar emmisions as a 6) No ad blue, on these the engine uses a different method ( more expensive) they subsequently changed to ad blue euros engine from 16 plate ( cheaper to produce). No idea if its true or not , and not 5hat bothered to be honest I have got it and will live with it, and go only where I and it (zac) is welcome. Baby a class is NOT left in the corner.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I live within half a mile of the M60 and it’s no wonder Burnam wants to involve it in the scheme, the amount of traffic on there is phenomenal, he sees the hgvs on the M60 going onto the M62 towards Liverpool or towards Leeds and thinks of the money that could be made.
Motorways come under highways England so are exempt as far as I'm aware , Burnham has no powers to include them in the LEZ .

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I have a 5+ was told it is a 6 but was not recognised as such as they had not been released ( same or very similar emmisions as a 6) No ad blue, on these the engine uses a different method ( more expensive) they subsequently changed to ad blue euros engine from 16 plate ( cheaper to produce). No idea if its true or not , and not 5hat bothered to be honest I have got it and will live with it, and go only where I and it (zac) is welcome. Baby a class is NOT left in the corner.
Yes, no ad blue on ours either.

And hear what you say, but personally still not sure if the '+' is really more than a figment of Fiat's marketing department? :unsure:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Mine wasn't registered until '20 plate, but I think it was sitting in a sales room for a long time as most of the bits of hardware in it that are serial numbered and production stamped seem to be 2017. It's got a euro6 engine, but it's not ad-blue.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I expect over time anyone with an I C E will pay more and more for fuel and charging zones until they price us all into electric, or on to the bus. The government is going to ban I C E trucks from 2040 (not that any politicians from this government will be around by then) so far there is no alternative fuel for trucks. They have no real idea about any of this, so I'm getting on with my life and not going to worry until I have to.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi, I have a euro 6 mh, but changing it to a euro 5 mh. Reason new build poor quality euro 6 verse quality euro 5 2nd hand built van. So hears my worry, low emission zones, and the future, ability to drive in uk and europe, in a euro 5 van without being fined for driving a euro 5. Is it going to get worse. Not interested in going into cities, but people like Burnham, are demanding motorways as well should be included.
I also have a beef re charges and cleaner air v have to potentially scrap 1,000s of vehicle that have up to 20yrs life in them, thus creating more waste, when we are being told to reduce waste might just have to take van and go live in africa, or India.
And why have the Gov not done more to get Van's to be retrofitted and give Grant's to do it like large hgvs and busses.
Thoughts welcome.
I guess it’s personal choice but we had the opportunity unity to purchase a EU 5 Hymer Grand Canyon in 2018 but decided that anothe £10K and buy an EU6 as it would be a better fit when considering emission changes and Emerging lez/ulez regs. There is no way I would deliberately buy a EU 5 Motorhome. But as I say it’s all personal considerations and I’m not saying you shouldn’t do it just be aware of the governments attitude to diesel bans and in a few years it may cost us all more to drive one of these things.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
why have the Gov not done more to get Van's to be retrofitted and give Grant's to do it like large hgvs and busses.
Thoughts welcome.
My daughter had to replace her car as she lives inside the expanded ULEZ. I tried to get her old (not that old) car converted but couldn't find anyone to do it, she would have paid up to £5,000 for a Euro 6 conversion, but they only do larger vehicles.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I guess it’s personal choice but we had the opportunity unity to purchase a EU 5 Hymer Grand Canyon in 2018 but decided that anothe £10K and buy an EU6 as it would be a better fit when considering emission changes and Emerging lez/ulez regs. There is no way I would deliberately buy a EU 5 Motorhome. But as I say it’s all personal considerations and I’m not saying you shouldn’t do it just be aware of the governments attitude to diesel bans and in a few years it may cost us all more to drive one of these things.
That was my reasoning back in 2018 I sold my Euro 5 Peugeot engined Bailey which was not the best and upgraded to a Euro 6 Pilote because I had fair idea these restrictions were just round the corner
Since upgraded again to a 2021 Pilote A class which I believe is the Euro 6 d engine as it requires Adblue

Deleted User
Shouldn't the question be why do you need to go into a city centre in a motorhome anyway?
When touring and visiting a city centre I either take public transport or use park and ride.
On the occasions I have ventured in to a City, parking is difficult and you spend your day hoping the van hasn't been broken into.
Most cities have a bypass or ring road to avoid centre's, if you do inadvertently venture into a clean air area you take the hit and pay the fine.
The sooner all diesels are banned from city centre's can't come soon enough!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This is an interesting perspective, let’s ban diesels ….yet the reality is for many small businesses they cannot afford a new van. A Friend who runs a small business has stopped working in London as a new VW Crafter size vehicle would wipe out company profitability.

I do not disagree change has to happen but small business need help. Since lockdown my Transporter has gone up in value from anywhere between £6-£10 K and whilst it’s EU6 it would cost someone between £36-£40k which for any small business is a lot of money.

I suspect lez/ulez will be applied across the country in coming years and not just in cities so we have to be careful what we wish for.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Shouldn't the question be why do you need to go into a city centre in a motorhome anyway?
When touring and visiting a city centre I either take public transport or use park and ride.
On the occasions I have ventured in to a City, parking is difficult and you spend your day hoping the van hasn't been broken into.
Most cities have a bypass or ring road to avoid centre's, if you do inadvertently venture into a clean air area you take the hit and pay the fine.
And when your diverted of the motorway through no fault of your own because of an accident you’ll still get fined .

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
personally i would not buy any van or car that was not euro6 ,when i got mine i waited for a euro6 van and it appears it was worth it, just to clear up a point on euro6 fiats mine left the factory in jan 2017 and is not ad blue

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Even Euro 6 has a 'sell by' date of 2023

Accept the fact that diesel vehicles will be unable to go into most City/lager town centers within western Europe within the next few years.

My solution is to buy a LPG powered car as a local runabout.
And store the van 20 miles away outside the LEZ zone.

(Not that I can park the van at home in anycase, whatever it runs on)
please explain 2023 sell by date

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Ideally yes and wait another Yr for euro 7. But just do not have the budget of £10k plus and wait,just won't go where we are not welcome. If it gets bad will just stop and find so.ething else.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
is there going to be a euro7 for diesels i thought that the optimum had already been met with euro 6

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
please explain 2023 sell by date
Have a google for Euro 7

This will be for hybrid vehicles whereby software will force them to run on electricity in specified locations at certain times of day.
Some Cities will start to enforce this by 2025, and it will be fairly universal by 2030's.

What this means is your brand new 2022 Euro 6 diesel powered motorhome may either have a very short life, or, be increasingly limited on where it can go, certainly most cities will be off limits .

Personally if I were buying a new motorhome today I'd be looking at getting a 5+ year old Euro 6

There are many articles to read on the subject, one is here

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Have a google for Euro 7

This will be for hybrid vehicles whereby software will force them to run on electricity in specified locations at certain times of day.
Some Cities will start to enforce this by 2025, and it will be fairly universal by 2030's.

What this means is your brand new 2022 diesel powered motorhome may either have a very short life, or, be increasingly limited on where it can go, certainly most cities will be off limits .

Personally if I were buying a new motorhome today I'd be looking at getting a 5+ year old Euro 6

There are many articles to read on the subject, one is here
as luck would have it thats what i have got

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Euro 10 motorhome

1636719671088.png