LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have an A class with a Euro 5 3lt Fiat engine, when pulling away from stand still at 1000 RPM aprox the engine seems to loose power for a split second a bit like a misfire then comes back with a vengence making it impossible to pull away smoothly without useing much higer RPM and slipping the clutch. We have had it in the dealers they say say somthing is wrong but do not sem to be able to find the problem we are now going to try another dealer to see if they can shed any light on the problem.This is our third Fiat 3 liter the others ran perfect,
Has any one else experienced this on a EURO 5 3ltr

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Please tell me which dealer gave up and said they could not find a fault as I will know who to avoid:Eeek:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Have you by any chance got a 'fly by wire' electronic accelerator?? Had one on our last tow car, a Suzuki Grand Vitara, and boy, did it put the ***** up you when pulling out quick from a junction.
If your Fiat has such a device, its the actuator unit that's gone into wibbly wobbly mode.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Yes all modern vehicles are now as you say fly by wire and I would asume a reostat on the pedel end to the ECU. As this is a common rail engine there is no fuel distribution pump only a high pressure one with electronic injectors.
I now have it booked in at the Peterborough dealers this wednesday so I will keep you posted:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
had similar with my Renault Traffic, but even when driving it would hold back then all of a sudden take off like the clappers turned out to be the MAF sensor you'll normally find it in the pipework from the air filter to the inlet manifold, mine would drive ok if I disconnected it after starting and warming up the engine for a few minutes but it's running like dream now I have replaced it

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Euro V

Hi

Euro V van here - same thing. I have had two of them and "just thought it was me"

I will ask Guest Trucks to have a shufty next time I am in their neck of the woods.

Russell

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Euro v

Hi

Euro V van here - same thing. I have had two of them and "just thought it was me"

I will ask Guest Trucks to have a shufty next time I am in their neck of the woods.

Russell

Hi Russel
Are you saying you have the same problem when pulling away from a stand still as I have.
Once moving above 1000 Rpm it pulls fine

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I once had a similar problem with a Nissan 4x4, that too was the MAF sensor,

:Smile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had a Mercedes with a similar problem. Frustrating to try and pull out onto a busy roundabout. :whatthe:
I changed the MAF, injectors, throttle body gizmo, fuel filter.....you name it, if I could unbolt it, it got changed.
Nothing fixed it till I eventually found the head gasket was on its way out
Hope yours is simpler
Allan

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Euro v

Now back from the Fiat dealers they say noththing wrong thats the way these are.

Well funny how my last two vans did not do this ! no reply,

Still it is not a major problem but more of an anoyance so looks I will have to live with it

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Fiat in "head in sand" shocker.

Did your last two vans have exactly the same engine as the current one?

At 1000rpm there will be very little, if any, boost being produced by the turbo which may well explain why it feels flat.

It might help if you could film the rev counter for us. Find a quiet road and do a couple of pulls up from standstill then one in 2nd gear from idle speed and maybe one in 3rd as well. Then other folks with the same engine can compare with that with how their's behaves.

If same = "They all do that sir"
If different = problem.

If you have a semi decent digital camera or smartphone then you will be able to do a little video and get it on Youtube, let us know if you need a hand with that :)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Now back from the Fiat dealers they say noththing wrong thats the way these are.

Well funny how my last two vans did not do this ! no reply,

Still it is not a major problem but more of an anoyance so looks I will have to live with it

is the dealer used to seeing 3ltr motorhomes as most of the vans they will see will be 2.3ltr.

just because they cant detect a fault with their test equipment doesnt mean its ok.

a call to fiat camper services is defo in order.

ps; has it been like that since youve had it?

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Euro v

is the dealer used to seeing 3ltr motorhomes as most of the vans they will see will be 2.3ltr.

just because they cant detect a fault with their test equipment doesnt mean its ok.

a call to fiat camper services is defo in order.

ps; has it been like that since youve had it?

It was a few months old when we got it and it has always done it

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Euro v

Fiat in "head in sand" shocker.

Did your last two vans have exactly the same engine as the current one?

At 1000rpm there will be very little, if any, boost being produced by the turbo which may well explain why it feels flat.

It might help if you could film the rev counter for us. Find a quiet road and do a couple of pulls up from standstill then one in 2nd gear from idle speed and maybe one in 3rd as well. Then other folks with the same engine can compare with that with how their's behaves.

If same = "They all do that sir"

Yes both were 3.0 tag but Euro4

It is not a lag problem more of a slight misfire as the clutch bites. This only happens between 800 to 1000 rpm this sounds to be the correct rpm, to pull away steady over 1000 sounds like you have poor clutch and throttle control.
I would not have bothered about it if I had not had the previous vans which did not do it maybe I am being over critical

I have rolled along on at low rpm in the first three gears press the throttel and it picks up as expected no problem

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Steve, cant help with the 3 litre, ours is 2.3 euro 5, and was a bit the same when we got it, had it re mapped and now about 150 bhp and a joy to drive better on fuel and tows our 1500 kg caravan no problem. ::bigsmile:

But the chap who did the re map, was telling me about Fiat re mapping vans to stop the clutch judder by reducing the power, don't know how true it is, but a fellow funster friend of ours, took his van in for clutch judder, and since then gets very poor miles per gallon, and when I mentioned this to him alarms bells started ringing, but don't know if he has been back or looked into it yet !

:Eeek: Bob.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Euro v

Hi Bob

You have changed your van then, I did put a TDI box on and it improved fuel consumption but had no effect on this problem.

I may consider a remap once the van is out of Fiat warranty and possibly get rid of that exhaust fillter.

Steve

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Steve,

Did you got to Fiat Commercial (Ford & Slater) Newark Rd, or did you go to Stoneacre Fiat, Newark Rd.
I have found the latter to be a waste of space, :Sad: and always had better customer service (not for the same problem though) from Ford & Slater, or Marshall Peugeot round the corner. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock (PE6)

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Euro v

Must be my unlucky day my wife just came in and asked why there was a puddle of oil on the drive, dont talk rubbish I said but went and had a look anyway could not belive it a big patch at the front of the van *********!!!!
what now the oil filter had come loose luckily this had just happend as it only lost about 2 pints looked a lot more on the ground that could have been expensive:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back