Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We may have a dog by the time we holiday in Lake garda this year
I understand a local vets has to administer tape worm and stamp the pass port.
Does anyone know own of a good vet in Lake garda we are staying at camp cappuccino
I am told the medication. Can be taken up to 5 days in advance is this correct.
Failing that ishe it easier just to get a vet in calais to do it prior to catching train.
Again if so anyone got any recommendations

Cheers

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
You need to visit the vet more than 24 hrs before returning but no more than 5 days.

There is a download with 100s of vets in france on the forum , someone will here to show you where

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If it was us, I would visit a vet a bit nearer to Calais, just in case you have any delays on the way through Italy and France, but not in Calais it's self as it is usually more expensive.

To be honest we have always winged it, and have just been on the look out for a vets about 3 or 4 days before. This has always produced results as we do not travel on the motorways.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Wait till calais or nearer your departure port

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Calling at the Vet may look daunting at first but in fact is very simple once you have been through the procedure as many others who take pets abroad will testify.

Most French Vets speak at least a smattering of English and many speak better English than you and me.

Whatever the length of time, one day or one year, you are abroad you will need the Passport signing and dating by a Vet before being allowed back to the UK.

You already have a Pet Passport and I presume the dogs medical requirements and Rabies treatment are up to date.

On your return to the UK you must visit a European Vet within a time scale of 24 hours and 120 hours (1 – 5 days) of your Train or Ferry ARRIVAL time in the UK..

The Vet will give a tablet for the 'Echinococcus Treatment' (Tapeworm) (pages 14-21 of the Pet Passport) and must stamp, sign and date correctly the relevant page.

You may be able to use your own tablet, make sure it is the correct dose for the size/weight of dog, but the Vet can insist on providing the tablet and refuse to use the one you provide.

The Vet should, but it is not obligatory, also examine the dog to ensure it is fit to travel and sign and date 'Clinical Examination' (page 28).

I think it's worth having the 'Clinical Examination' page signed just for peace of mind.

The five day window for having the Passport procedure means you can be almost anywhere in Europe and still get back to the Ports within the 120 hours allowed.

The further you are from the Tunnel/Ferries when you see the Vet it's usually cheaper – but not always!

Many Vets allow 'walk in' visits but booking an appointment is advised and remember most Vets shut between 1200 and 1400 each day and are shut on Sundays and Public Holidays.

At the Pet Passport Office you will need to have the Pet Passport, travel booking form and to know your vehicle registration number.

Also you should know the position of the Microchip on your animal (see page 3 of the Pet Passport) as you have to scan the animal to show the Microchip number corresponds to the one in the Pet Passport.

PLEASE NOTE - You MUST check that the Passport has been correctly signed and dated by the Vet for the Tapeworm treatment as it the responsibility of you, and only you, if it is not correct when presented at the Passport Office.

If the dog has not had the RABIES treatment, or is not up-to-date, the animal will not be allowed back to the UK for 21 days (three weeks) after having the Rabies treatment.

Any Pet Passport that appears to have been altered in any shape or form will almost certainly be rejected.

Whichever Vet you use I would appreciate it if you could give up-to-date information, especially price, to add to the Map and help other dog owners,

Keith

The link to recommended Vets in Europe is at the foot of this post.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Hi @Jagtazman, we stayed at Camping Cappucino and used the following vet, Carteri Dr. Antonella who speaks excellent English, her office/surgery is just a 10 minute walk away from the campsite (directions in following link).
We supplied our own tapeworm tablets (Milbemax) for our 2 dogs and she diligently signed and stamped their Pet Passports accordingly and charged us 12 Euros each.

Pete

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Dont you need a passport for the tapeworm?? X

That's how I read the thread title - however if Pets have to have a medical examination in order to get a Passport - I rather think that might be a bit tricky ....... :rofl:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Take dog to Vet in UK. Dog must be inoculated (& microchipped) I think about 14 days before journey abroad, and collect passport from Vet in U.K.
To return home take dog to Vet for assessment and Tapeworm tablet and for Passport to be signed by Vet, this must be between 24 hours & 5 days before journey home.
At Tunnel/Ferry you must take dog to Animal control office where they will check paper work and scan microchip.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Take dog to Vet in UK. Dog must be inoculated (& microchipped) I think about 14 days before journey abroad, and collect passport from Vet in U.K.
To return home take dog to Vet for assessment and Tapeworm tablet and for Passport to be signed by Vet, this must be between 24 hours & 5 days before journey home.
At Tunnel/Ferry you must take dog to Animal control office where they will check paper work and scan microchip.

Not at Dunkirk. That is what threw me last year when I got there to find that the entry in is direct to the booths. Not past the office anymore.
Had to get out & ask & the bloke in the booth where you check in for ferry does the lot.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We have just got our dogs passport , during the consultation the vet told us that at a recent meeting of the council of vets they are proposing that we have to do the pill for ticks soon ,guess time will tell

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you can use a Vet well before you reach the Ferry Ports you may save a fortune.

Our local Vet, in Burgundy charges us 11euros for the worming pill and stamping the passport. When I had it done in Calais three years ago it cost us 56euros for the same treatment. Captive audience syndrome.

As you have quite a large window, not less than 24 hours or more than five days after treatment to travel, give it some serious consideration before waiting until you reach the Channel Ports.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One point to note when the vet signs and dates the passport for the tablet, make they note the date and the time, it states it is a datetime, the time is necessary.

Unless the vet does alot of passports they usually only put a date. We have to prompt half the time for them to put the time in.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
We used the one in Montreuil sur Mer from the list of vets in resources.
We booked a couple of days prior and actually arrived in Montreuil the afternoon before.
Thinking it a good idea to find the vets beforehand we wandered into town from the aire passing a vet on the way. The address given was the main square the Place du General de Gaulle. We painstakingly went round the square but could find no vets. So eventually we settled down next to a statue and my wife suggested I ring the vets.
My Franglais completely confused them as to why I was there a day early and they couldn't understand where I was.
Eventually I said something along the lines "Je ici le place du general de gaulle son statue du general et cheveux, ou est vous?"
At which point they started laughing and gave directions back to the vets we had passed on the way to the square.
So I would say the vets at Montreuil sur Mer is relatively easy to find from the aire there, and they are jolly nice and friendly people.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We stopped somewhere on the banks of the Meuse, on our way back to Calais, can't remember if it was France or Belgium but there was a big old fort beside the town, will have to check the log in the van. Anyhoo we found 4 vets listed on the internet so we went looking the next morning. The first was a boarded up building that had been closed for years, the second was in the town but it took some finding, it used a communal house doorway in a three story residential terrace but didn't open till 7:30 pm, the third was a couple of miles out of town, we were on the bikes and the dogs are happy to run alongside us, when we eventually found the place, it was a bull semen emporium, it obviously had some sort of veterinarian status so was on the list. We gave up on the fourth place as time was marching on and actually stumbled across a place on the outskirts of Charleroi. They charged €50 for the two dogs, we had our own tablets but the vet said "My signature, my tablets" which I suppose is fair enough.
I think we had a Monday morning crossing, this was Friday afternoon and I was worried if we didn't find somewhere by Saturday, Sunday would be a no go for an open vets and that would affect the 24 hour minimum for our Monday crossing.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Do you have the exact address for the Vet and I'll alter the info?

And price you were charged?

Keith, very grateful for all the work and info you have put on the site, regarding vets and pet passports.(y)
I know there is the map of vets. Is there a folder, so I could add to my Tomtom as POI's or do I have to add individually?
Thanks(y)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Do you have the address of the Charleroi Vet please?

jessthedog -Is there a folder, so I could add to my Tomtom as POI's or do I have to add individually?

I don't have a Tomtom and, sorry, don't understand what you're asking about.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Do you have the address of the Charleroi Vet please?

jessthedog -Is there a folder, so I could add to my Tomtom as POI's or do I have to add individually?

I don't have a Tomtom and, sorry, don't understand what you're asking about.

Ok, Thanks anyway(y)

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Do you have the exact address for the Vet and I'll alter the info?

And price you were charged?

The vets were in Avenue Du General Leclerc.
They like their Generals in Montreuil Sur Mer.
We were charged 34 euros.
The vets are ideally placed if using the Aire there, 2 minutes walk down to main road (Av du Leclerc) right towards town centre and vets a few yards down on right.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
When I first read this, I wondered why you would want a European tapeworm as a pet........., never mind need to give him/her/it a passport.....

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
RidersofRohan - thanks for the information - I've added the Vet to the list.

The Vet that was in Place du General Gaulle appears to have closed and the Vet in Montreuil seems to be the one you went to - I've taken the other one off the map.

Did the Vet speak English - good, bad or only French?

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
RidersofRohan - thanks for the information - I've added the Vet to the list.

The Vet that was in Place du General Gaulle appears to have closed and the Vet in Montreuil seems to be the one you went to - I've taken the other one off the map.

Did the Vet speak English - good, bad or only French?
Good English.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Hi @Jagtazman, we stayed at Camping Cappucino and used the following vet, Carteri Dr. Antonella who speaks excellent English, her office/surgery is just a 10 minute walk away from the campsite (directions in following link).
We supplied our own tapeworm tablets (Milbemax) for our 2 dogs and she diligently signed and stamped their Pet Passports accordingly and charged us 12 Euros each.

Pete
Just got back from said vets cost us 25 euro including tablet which ain't bad.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
vets are fairly easy to find but if your stuck just use google maps and the near by ,type in vets and youll usually get a choice
we pick a point two days in front when travelling back and book one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back