VET EU Pet Passport (1 Viewer)

A few points from our Pet Passport on 22 June 2021
Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I understand your argument, but if itā€™s purely a vaccination record, why arenā€™t UK passports issued prior to 31/12/20 still accepted. I can well believe that it could be spite because we left their club, but would they make it that obvious? What is the reasoning behind the concept of 3rd party countries?
Anyway, I originally just wondered whether or not the wording of an official EU statement was causing some vets/countries to hesitate over issuing pet passports to UK residents.
There's no way any vet anywhere is taking their guidance from an EU website - official or otherwise IMO. EU laws are issued in what are called Journals (I think) and addenda to these (sorry if I get the naming wrong) These are then implemented into national law by the national parliaments. If EU vets are following anything they are following what's been implemented into national law by their national parliaments. And not just that, the relevant department will be issuing Notes for Guidance for the relevant legislation and any associated certification. Each country will implement the EU law in subtly ( and sometimes not so subtly) different ways. Here in the UK that's APHA - we follow what they say, not what's written in the EU (or UK ) legislation. That's where I see the different approaches from different countries coming from - France has said no Pets Passport without 3 months residency. Others seem to have said the ID chip has to be on a national register. Neither of these were requirements of the PP scheme in the UK last year ( and I'll bet they're not in the ongoing current EU legislation).
But yes, its very surprising UK didn't end up still being able to issue PPs, as one major reason for the PP scheme coming into place in the first place was to facilitate the movement of dogs and cats into the UK. I'd hesitate to call it spite, but....
As for your Facebook friends, get them to show you where it says anything like what they've found in the actual EU legislation - get them to quote from the withdrawal agreement itself - and then I might take it something like seriously.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
We have today been to a vets near Calais with the intention of getting French passports for our dogs. It was a vet that has issued passports to UK dogs recently and we did check by e mail that this was possible. Unfortunately this proved not to be the case (problem with the translation was given as the reason!)
The actual vet was happy to oblige and got as far as giving one of the dogs a rabies vaccination but when passed over to the administrator for the paperwork to be completed the answer was no - not without a French address. We came up with an address within about 20 mins but not acceptable at this time as we had inadvertently already confirmed we were travelling home tomorrow and not stopping for 3 months.
The upshot of all this is that one of our dogs had a rabies jab that wasnā€™t necessary (not due until 2023) and no passports issued. The vet acknowledged the confusion and didnā€™t charge for the unnecessary vaccination!
PLEASE folks if attempting to get a passport check, check and check again.
Similar experience at La mailleraye. I dropped into the `vets on Sept 10 and enquired. Receptionist said no problem with getting passport but no vet available until after wknd. I arranged appt for return journey in 4 weeks and left phone no. in case of any problem occurring in the meantime.
Attended on Oct4. No passport possible, just worming. I was a bit disappointed in view of the fact that I had rung to change time of appt just a week before and could have been notified of the change of policy. I might have managed to get one at Arras if I knew in time. Now will need a new AHC and Irish trip unless rules change again.
Tk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Informative
Reactions: maz
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
tkk you donā€™t need an AHC at present to enter Northern Ireland and then travel across the border into the Republic where you can obtain an EU pet passport. I posted a photo of the Irish governmentā€™s advice to vets on the thread ā€˜Ireland, Pet passport successā€™

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I remember posting the following a while back in one of the EU pet passport threads, but didnā€™t get any comments on it then. It is taken from the section titled ā€˜Non-commercial movement from non-EU countriesā€™ on the European Commission website, but it needs to be read in conjunction with the whole page: link here

E7516A3F-B503-4F82-A792-08BF548ADD3E.jpeg

I think it means that you can bring an animal into the EU from a non-EU country without an AHC providing you already have an EU pet passport that was issued in the EU (as in on a previous visit to the EU). This would seem to give support to the issuing of EU pet passports to non-EU residents, but I would be grateful to hear other peopleā€™s opinions on this.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Playing Devil's Advocate, and not withstanding the fact that it's yet more very poorly written wording, it would be possible for a very small minded bureaucrat to suggest that 'before leaving the union' could be construed as 'the union' being it's normal place of residence.
Both my dogs now have EU passports, one issued well before 31/12/20 and the other very recently, but I still worry at the back of my mind that we could be travelling at the whim of of a petty official. Although we always travel via the tunnel, so I would presume the ET employees don't care as long as it follows their company rules.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Playing Devil's Advocate, and not withstanding the fact that it's yet more very poorly written wording, it would be possible for a very small minded bureaucrat to suggest that 'before leaving the union' could be construed as 'the union' being it's normal place of residence.
Both my dogs now have EU passports, one issued well before 31/12/20 and the other very recently, but I still worry at the back of my mind that we could be travelling at the whim of of a petty official. Although we always travel via the tunnel, so I would presume the ET employees don't care as long as it follows their company rules.
Now why am I not surprised at your pessimistic take on the matter, Malcolm?! :rofl:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Now why am I not surprised at your pessimistic take on the matter, Malcolm?! :rofl:
I really don't know why I worry. The way we take our holidays it wouldn't be the end of the world if we were refused entry, it would probably only take a few days to arrange private boarding for them. :rolleyes:

• HeartHug
Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Similar experience at La mailleraye. I dropped into the `vets on Sept 10 and enquired. Receptionist said no problem with getting passport but no vet available until after wknd. I arranged appt for return journey in 4 weeks and left phone no. in case of any problem occurring in the meantime.
Attended on Oct4. No passport possible, just worming. I was a bit disappointed in view of the fact that I had rung to change time of appt just a week before and could have been notified of the change of policy. I might have managed to get one at Arras if I knew in time. Now will need a new AHC and Irish trip unless rules change again.
Tk
This is the exact opposite experience to our visit yesterday for worming before returning home. Vet actually suggested that if we had a French address (he said an address of a friend would do) then he would be happy to issue an EU PP. He said we would have to register our dog on the I-cad database & he would have to give a rabies booster. He suggested sorting out a French address before our next visit!

There doesnt seem to be any rhyme nor reason to if/when/who is able to get a french passport.

Think we'll try Portugal for 1 when we go (hopefullyšŸ¤ž) for our winter trip.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I remember posting the following a while back in one of the EU pet passport threads, but didnā€™t get any comments on it then. It is taken from the section titled ā€˜Non-commercial movement from non-EU countriesā€™ on the European Commission website, but it needs to be read in conjunction with the whole page: link here

View attachment 547157

I think it means that you can bring an animal into the EU from a non-EU country without an AHC providing you already have an EU pet passport that was issued in the EU (as in on a previous visit to the EU). This would seem to give support to the issuing of EU pet passports to non-EU residents, but I would be grateful to hear other peopleā€™s opinions on this.
I agree. To me it says animals with a passport issued to them whilst in the EU can re-enter the EU using that passport.

• Thanks
Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
That's several jumps of logic to get to that endpoint. Where does it say anything about normal place of residence for PP? An address is only required when the passport is issued, not when its used. You don't have to be the owner of the animal to travel with an animal on the PP scheme. How is any petty bureaucrat going to ascertain where its normal place of residence is?

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
OK all have read this and much more, heads spinning a bit so need some clarification is possible:

Going into Europe via France in MoHo, need health cert to enter for both dogs?

Have never had pet passport, can I still get one? Son lives in Netherlands currently and will heading to see him first so thought we could sort there?

What's the benefit? Does EU passport last for 1 or 3 years as long as all vaccinations kept up to date?

Once pet passports obtained do I still need health cert to leave UK each time? We are looking at 3month trips next year and future years all going well....

Thanks in advance

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
OK all have read this and much more, heads spinning a bit so need some clarification is possible:

Going into Europe via France in MoHo, need health cert to enter for both dogs?

Have never had pet passport, can I still get one? Son lives in Netherlands currently and will heading to see him first so thought we could sort there?

What's the benefit? Does EU passport last for 1 or 3 years as long as all vaccinations kept up to date?

Once pet passports obtained do I still need health cert to leave UK each time? We are looking at 3month trips next year and future years all going well....

Thanks in advance
Yes re the AHC to leave the U.K.
I would recommend you get EU pet passports whilst in the Netherlands using your sons address for ease.
EU pet passports last for three years (well our dogā€™s French one does) providing vaccinations are kept up to date.
Once an EU pet passport is acquired then you wonā€™t need the AHC next time you travel.
As far as Iā€™m aware thatā€™s it. Have a great trip.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Dog will need a current rabies jab to get a AHC.
Then once you have the EU pet passport the rabies booster needs to be done in the EU there after or it will likely void the passport for EU travel.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Dog will need a current rabies jab to get a AHC.
Then once you have the EU pet passport the rabies booster needs to be done in the EU there after or it will likely void the passport for EU travel.
Yeah, thatā€™s my thoughts on it too. Weā€™ll just get ours done when weā€™re in France visiting our son in three years from last month.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
So justing checking, once we have the passport we can freely leave and enter UK as many time as we want
Yes, just vet health check and worming tablet more than 24 hours, less than 5 days before return to UK

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Picked up EU passport today for our dog in Oliva Spain.

45 euros.

Vet said she can't transfer rabies vaccination records over to new passport so dog will have to have one when we get the worm tablet done in a couple of weeks time before heading home..
She said in Spain it's a 1 year only vacation not 3 years..

Now what happens if we are not returning to the EU for say 13 months?
Would we need to get another AHC in the UK ?

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Yes - Pets Passport won't be valid if altered by a UK vet - eg to add a rabies vaccine, and isn't valid for travel without an up to date rabies vaccine. Has to have rabies boosters done in the EU, as I understand it.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
OK, spoke to my son, he isn't comfortable using his address, can you use a UK address?
Best thing to do is to ring a few vets in the Netherlands and ask. Back in Feb this year some of us carried out a bit of research into the issuing of pet passports in different countries. See post #13 in the following thread for info obtained from a Dutch vet:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/vets-in-eu-research-project-list.235402/

I say to ask because France (and possibly Belgium) are starting to get a bit precious about issuing pet passports to those without a local address. I havenā€™t read anything about the Netherlands thoā€™ ā€¦ā€¦

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Vet said she can't transfer rabies vaccination records over to new passport so dog will have to have one when we get the worm tablet done in a couple of weeks time before heading home..
Im happy to be corrected, but I think you'll need a 21 day window between rabies vaccination and travel.
Having it done with the worming treatment isn't going to work for you.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Im happy to be corrected, but I think you'll need a 21 day window between rabies vaccination and travel.
Not if itā€™s a booster. But you will need proof it isnā€™t the first rabies jab. We showed (was asked for) the old passport as proof.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
We can use the UK AHC this time to get home with rabies stamped .
Then if we get the rabies vaccination and worming done before we leave for home it gives us 12 months to get back to Europe for another poxy jab...this dogs costing more money than both kids put together šŸ™„

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We can use the UK AHC this time to get home with rabies stamped .
Then if we get the rabies vaccination and worming done before we leave for home it gives us 12 months to get back to Europe for another poxy jab...this dogs costing more money than both kids put together šŸ™„
When we got our PP we got the worming entery put into the new pp, and the AHC. We wanted to get the pp ā€checkedā€ by customs to make sure all ok, and get a stamp in it. As said your ā€newā€œ rabies jab is a booster not a starter. We were asked to show old passport (but could have shown vac cert, or AHC) by passport control just to show it wasnā€™t the first application of the rabies jab.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I've just been to our vet in Spain for our dogs tapeworm treatment for our journey back to the UK. Our vet insisted she didn't need to fill in section 4 of the ahc, she filled out a separate form with confirmation of our dogs treatment & stamped it? Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back