Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Interested in a Belgian PP as well
we had an interesting vet visit while at Memling Campsite at Bruges. He very generously wrote ( no charge) we had had Praxaquantel when in fact East German vet had given another drug. He’d given a perfectly good tapeworm/ tick jab but only afterwards did I realise we wouldnt be allowed on the tunnel
I’ll look up which vet it was as soon as I can. He’d be the one I’d contact! Though those two on the other thread seem amenable.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all. Seems the principle works! Would be very interested to know your Brugian vet, 15Edward...

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Got passport today with the rabies vaccine, as stated cost was 43 euros. Great team of professionals. They entered our address as camping Javea. OK with that. But the surprising thing was that they registered the expiry date and therefore the date of next booster as September 2024. Really, really happy with that. Here are the details.

Attachments

• IMG_20210927_153848.jpg
    IMG_20210927_153848.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 30

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Got passport today with the rabies vaccine, as stated cost was 43 euros. Great team of professionals. They entered our address as camping Javea. OK with that. But the surprising thing was that they registered the expiry date and therefore the date of next booster as September 2024. Really, really happy with that. Here are the details.
That's a pleasant surprise because they are my vets!!! And have said before they are only allowed to do a year. That might make things easier for me next year when Izzy's is due 🙂 Janie

Reactions: maz

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
That's a pleasant surprise because they are my vets!!! And have said before they are only allowed to do a year. That might make things easier for me next year when Izzy's is due 🙂 Janie
I’ve just emailed them for confirmation of 1/3year booster……will post again with details
50D5CCFB-1574-426E-97A1-60AF79F660A0.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
3years
Doesn’t seem to be the case
It's strange isn't it. Thanks for that enquiry! It was Rosa, the head vet there that told me that they were only allowed to do a year and if I could get it done elsewhere for 3 years then great, do it, as long as it's in the EU. Another vet there also told me 1 year, whilst giving Izzy her other boosters, this was last October.
Oh well, we really like Portugal! 😁 Janie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Parrot Face apart from anything else. Look out for the card that will come from some Valencian department. It will obviously get sent to Camping Javea and your dog's chip will be registered at that address. I am not sure if you can alter that, I have not needed to. Janie

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Parrot Face apart from anything else. Look out for the card that will come from some Valencian department. It will obviously get sent to Camping Javea and your dog's chip will be registered at that address. I am not sure if you can alter that, I have not needed to. Janie
Thanks for the info. Not sure how that will affect us. Presumably the passport itself has all the relevsnt information so we should be able to carry on using it, unless you know something we don't. Also the dates in the passport do state its for 3 years. That was also a surprise to us but we will check the passports validity when we get to euro tunnel check in.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Well this is disappointing! Just received the following response from the Bruges vet recommended by 15edward -

"Unfortunately, since the UK is no longer part of the European Union, we are not allowed to give you a EU pet passport if you do not live in Belgium. This means you will need to get a new health certificate every time you visit the EU. The health certificate is valid for 4 months."

Doesn't seem much to be gained from arguing 🙁. I'll try another vet....

• Informative
Reactions: maz
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
As I’ve posted before, I’m firmly convinced that there’s a better chance of getting an EU pet passport from a smaller vet practice than from a large group/chain. There appears to be some discrepancy/confusion about particular countries rules, particularly France and Belgium and smaller vets seem more willing to turn a blind eye.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Doesn't seem much to be gained from arguing 🙁. I'll try another vet....
Yes, keep trying. They can do it if they want to.
I had an EU pet passport issued in RoI this month for 40 euro, existing rabies info copied over to new PP. As a bonus no AHC was needed to enter NI and of course unrestricted access to the RoI (y)
I've previously used a very laid back vet in Bruges for worming treatment for return to UK. If you want I'll look up his contact info, I'm sure he'd issue a pet passport to UK resident.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Update - I did, politely, query the negative response from the Bruges vet, and got an equally polite reply:

"I agree that information about this subject is not clear. However, the consensus in the Flanders veterinary community seems to be that it is not allowed.

I think this is because of the following reason: If a dog receives a Belgian European passport, you are required to register it in the national databank, and so, you must also fill in the person responsible for the dog, with a Belgian address .

However, as it is not clearly stated in the regulations, it is possible that you may find veterinarians that can help you. Also, I am not sure how the regulations in other EU countries are. So, hopefully you can find a vet that can help you with this."

It would therefore seem that Wallonian rather than Flandrian vets are the way to go in Belgium...

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Update - I did, politely, query the negative response from the Bruges vet, and got an equally polite reply:

"I agree that information about this subject is not clear. However, the consensus in the Flanders veterinary community seems to be that it is not allowed.

I think this is because of the following reason: If a dog receives a Belgian European passport, you are required to register it in the national databank, and so, you must also fill in the person responsible for the dog, with a Belgian address .

However, as it is not clearly stated in the regulations, it is possible that you may find veterinarians that can help you. Also, I am not sure how the regulations in other EU countries are. So, hopefully you can find a vet that can help you with this."

It would therefore seem that Wallonian rather than Flandrian vets are the way to go in Belgium...
National registers for dogs seems to be becoming a bit of an issue, I-cad in France and now DogID in Belgium. While I think it is generally a very good idea for all dogs to be microchipped and registered so that they can easily be reunited with their owner if lost, tying this in to the issuing of pet passports seems unnecessary. It has never been a requirement for EU pet passports to only be issued to residents of a particular country. For the purposes of pet passports, dogs do not have a ‘nationality’. I can see the sense in stipulating that if a dog is going to be in a particular country for over 3 months, then it should be registered on that country’s database. However, if the dog is going to be in a country for less than 3 months there is little point in it being registered there.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Have pups booked in with these on our return in November.
https://www.veterinairejaucot.be/

Very good at communicating and has said should not need another rabies jab as they have just had them.

Thanks CoastalCruiser - have messaged him...
We used her this trip, a few days ago. Only query was they said they had entered my ‘old’ UK address, and would leave me to fill out my ‘new’ Belgium address.
I took that to mean they were turning a blind eye to any requirement for Belgium residency. At the end of the day we got the passport. €49.90. You can park outside. It took us 1h45m from Gravelline

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We used her this trip, a few days ago. Only query was they said they had entered my ‘old’ UK address, and would leave me to fill out my ‘new’ Belgium address.
I took that to mean they were turning a blind eye to any requirement for Belgium residency. At the end of the day we got the passport. €49.90. You can park outside. It took us 1h45m from Gravelline
Thanks

We will be coming back from Italy/Switzerland so stop here for the day then probably Ghent for a few days then tunnel home.

Will put the vets address down😂😂

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

De Laender / Piet​

Prins Karellaan 39, 8310 Brugge, Belgium

ericonabike This is the vet in Bruges I used for worming / PP stamp for return to UK a few years ago.
I just scrolled up the thread and it's the same vet as 15edward used so not much help I'm afraid, sorry.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the info emjaiuk - so the passport carries your UK address? I'm assuming there was no difficulty reentering the uk?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I’ll let you know after Monday😊
You’ll have no problem. I’ve been back to the UK and then out to Europe again with Nix - on a French pet passport with a UK address. No-one’s been remotely interested in the address.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Hi, did she transfer rabies info over from old UK passport or did your dog have to have another booster? We normally use Vets at La Mailleraye or Montreuil for the wormer & know neither will issue an EU pet passport. We're in France at the moment, due to return to the UK shortly.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back