Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I've just been to our vet in Spain for our dogs tapeworm treatment for our journey back to the UK. Our vet insisted she didn't need to fill in section 4 of the ahc, she filled out a separate form with confirmation of our dogs treatment & stamped it? Can anyone confirm this is correct?
The Port Pedants will surely reject it. Insist that she fills in the Brit Bit! Ours already had their chip numbers in the right boxes!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I've just been to our vet in Spain for our dogs tapeworm treatment for our journey back to the UK. Our vet insisted she didn't need to fill in section 4 of the ahc, she filled out a separate form with confirmation of our dogs treatment & stamped it? Can anyone confirm this is correct?
Would insist as our vet in Belgium was very mindful of page 4 when she did the tablets, she also did 2 EU pet passports and filled them out also.
The vet who did the AHC in the UK pointed out page 4 to us and said make sure they fill this out, sign and stamp.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I thought, and I must emphasize that I have no official knowledge of this, that as long as the vets declaration states that ‘The dog identified by chip number xxxxxxxx has had the required dose of (insert recommended tapeworm treatment) on such and such date at such and such time, and the statement is stamped and signed by the vet, then that written statement will suffice, wherever it is written. The important issue is the identification of the chip number inserted in the dog.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I thought, and I must emphasize that I have no official knowledge of this, that as long as the vets declaration states that ‘The dog identified by chip number xxxxxxxx has had the required dose of (insert recommended tapeworm treatment) on such and such date at such and such time, and the statement is stamped and signed by the vet, then that written statement will suffice, wherever it is written. The important issue is the identification of the chip number inserted in the dog.
Based on our experiences since 2003 the important issue is the attitude and mind set of the Port official...

seaesgle

Free Member
Nov 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
hightop van
This thread is for the general discussion of the item EU Pet Passport. Please add to the discussion here.
Hi, early this year I obtained a French pet passport based on the vaccination history of my uk passport, cheap at 35 euros, now crossed twice without problems, you just need a French address, doesn’t have to be your own place, so friends who do will save you lots of money and make it much easier to enter France.:giggle::giggle:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just been back to the vets and asked her to enter the details in section 4 of the AHC. She done it no probs but did say she's never had any trouble with her other British customers. .
Done now so brain can think about other stuff. 🤯

Thanks
Be interesting to hand in the signed and stamped letter to see if it is acceptable

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
On the advice of Eurotunnel I have emailed the Defra pet-abroad help department to see if they can clarify my position regarding UK rabies certificate and the EU pet passports I have.
The Belgium vet seems to think we are ok and I cannot see why it is not possible to have the UK rabies certs, will then have the EU rabies vaccination once the current ones are nearing the end.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
On the advice of Eurotunnel I have emailed the Defra pet-abroad help department to see if they can clarify my position regarding UK rabies certificate and the EU pet passports I have.
The Belgium vet seems to think we are ok and I cannot see why it is not possible to have the UK rabies certs, will then have the EU rabies vaccination once the current ones are nearing the end.
So what did the Belgian vet actually write in your EU pet passports about the rabies vaccinations? Did they transfer the details over, and sign and stamp them? Or did they just write something like ‘see UK certificate’?

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
So what did the Belgian vet actually write in your EU pet passports about the rabies vaccinations? Did they transfer the details over, and sign and stamp them? Or did they just write something like ‘see UK certificate’?
We got our dog a EU passport the other day. But she's said they only have 1 year rabies vaccinations here in Spain..she couldn't swap UK details over.so poor old dog had another jab. Not valid for 21 days but we're using the AHC to get home this week then next time we come out use the EU passport..
45 euros passport
25 worming tablets
28 rabies jab.

Didn't have any dramas about issuing a passport but we do have a Spanish address so maybe that helped.

Sorry wife just corrected me .. the rabies vaccination in the EU passport is valid as our dog already had a indate vacation record.
But couldn't put that on the EU passport.

Last edited:

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Hi, early this year I obtained a French pet passport based on the vaccination history of my uk passport, cheap at 35 euros, now crossed twice without problems, you just need a French address, doesn’t have to be your own place, so friends who do will save you lots of money and make it much easier to enter France.:giggle::giggle:
We got 2 French passports in September and they put our UK address in them, no problem at Eurotunnel on Sunday.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We got our dog a EU passport the other day. But she's said they only have 1 year rabies vaccinations here in Spain..she couldn't swap UK details over.so poor old dog had another jab. Not valid for 21 days but we're using the AHC to get home this week then next time we come out use the EU passport..
45 euros passport
25 worming tablets
28 rabies jab.

Didn't have any dramas about issuing a passport but we do have a Spanish address so maybe that helped.

Sorry wife just corrected me .. the rabies vaccination in the EU passport is valid as our dog already had a indate vacation record.
But couldn't put that on the EU passport.
There is just so much confusion and misinformation about the issuing of EU pet passports. Some vets are happy to transfer over UK rabies vaccination info, others will tell you it’s ‘illegal’. Some (probably most) Spanish vets will only administer a 1-year rabies vaccine, but there are some that use 3-year vaccines. I think the latter are most likely to be in the north of the country, as proximity to Morocco seems to be a factor for annual boosters.

If the rabies booster was given before the existing one expired, there is no reason why the ‘valid from’ date should not be the same as the ‘vaccination date’ so that the new pet passport can be used straightaway. The AHC or old UK pet passport proves continuity of vaccination.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
She transferred the details over but could not sign it as she had not given the vaccination.
Worst case next year we will have to get the AHC then visit her and have her do the rabies jabs.
Didn’t want it this time as to near their first jabs.
Will see if DEFRA come back to me.

Very impressed with Eurotunnel a reply within 1 day.

Obviously to any normal person a rabies vaccination in any country should cover dogs but unfortunately a lot of penpushers don’t live in a normal world☹️☹️

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
She transferred the details over but could not sign it as she had not given the vaccination.
Worst case next year we will have to get the AHC then visit her and have her do the rabies jabs.
Didn’t want it this time as to near their first jabs.
Will see if DEFRA come back to me.

Very impressed with Eurotunnel a reply within 1 day.

Obviously to any normal person a rabies vaccination in any country should cover dogs but unfortunately a lot of penpushers don’t live in a normal world☹️☹️
This seems to be a fairly common occurrence and I believe it means the EU pet passport is not valid. There are vets who successfully manage to transfer vaccination details complete with signature and stamp, so this seems to be another example of vet confusion as to what is and isn’t allowed.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
This seems to be a fairly common occurrence and I believe it means the EU pet passport is not valid. There are vets who successfully manage to transfer vaccination details complete with signature and stamp, so this seems to be another example of vet confusion as to what is and isn’t allowed.
All seems a bit woolly, when I asked the French chap at Calais pet centre he said just bring everything with you, obviously easy to say up until I get turned away at UK pet centre☹️

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Maybe when Rona is all sorted and behind us the government and start ironing all these little bits out. ..
After we've all spent a fortune on new passports and AHC's

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
All seems a bit woolly, when I asked the French chap at Calais pet centre he said just bring everything with you, obviously easy to say up until I get turned away at UK pet centre☹️
You’ll be fine going back to the UK on the AHC, but I’ll be very surprised if you don’t need another AHC in order to go back to the EU. :confused:

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
As I understand it you can still use your Old UK/EU Passport to show proof of Rabies Jab on re-entry to the UK, obviously if Jab still in Date ?

ie out on a 11 month Old New Spanish Passport with 1yr Rabies Jab, return to the UK 90 days later on the Old UK/EU Passport with a Valid 3yr UK rabies Jab....

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As I understand it you can still use your Old UK/EU Passport to show proof of Rabies Jab on re-entry to the UK, obviously if Jab still in Date ?

ie out on a 11 month Old New Spanish Passport with 1yr Rabies Jab, return to the UK 90 days later on the Old UK/EU Passport with a Valid 3yr UK rabies Jab....
That is correct, and is what we did, when we returned to the UK the first time after getting the French EU PP.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back