EU declares war on caravans with plan for MoT-style tests (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Who won the war anyway??????????????????
Time to make Britain Great again, even if it does mean me losing my Farming subsidy. Pride in ones country is worth far more than money and it would appear we are losing it. Youngsters are determined to appear as uneducated coloured people of whatever culture and the English language is being bastardized init.:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

I seem to remember the words of an old song from the 60's

Lets do more trade with the commonwealth
keep whats left of the national health
we'll lose it if we join the common market.

"And lo it came to pass"
Where will it all end?
:cry::cry::cry:
I do hope this is not seen as a racist post, it is far from it, Great Britain and OUR commonwealth is a mix of races and each brings something different to the table, the trouble is we keep giving bits away. Whats next, Gibraltar, the Falklands again, or closer to home, the Isle of Wight?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Yep!:thumb:

I agree, saw an accident recently on Bodmin Moor (A30) where the Caravan had detatched fron its chassis!

If it's on the Road, it should be inspected EVERY year, and should have it's own "plate" wether this is a sticker in the towing vehicles Windscreen or on the trailer itself,

AND

What a great Revenue Raiser:thumb:

Next? Every Tradesman Licenced? OOOOHHHH:thumb: spect old Georgie Porgies trews are wet just thinking about the extra revenue::bigsmile:

Was that the one yesterday?
I didn't see that one, other half did.

When I was recovering them, most matchsticks were caused by the tow vehicle according to the insurers....they always asked for confirmation that the tow vehicle was a Discovery, presuming it would be, as they said 99% of roll overs were being towed by them!:ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Holidaymakers are to be hit with bills for hundreds of pounds under European Union plans to impose MoT-style tests on caravans.

Up to 200,000 families could be affected by the draconian demands which it is warned could devastate the UK’s tourism economy.

The UK government is to launch an attempt to block the regulations, but it is feared it will be passed into law by Brussels later this year.

Testing: Up to 200,000 caravans face annual MoT-style tests to see if they are roadworthy under EU plans

Under the new rules almost every caravan will have to undergo safety testing, similar to MoTs for cars.

Controversially, all other light trailers under 2000kg will remain excluded from testing and only caravans have been singled out.

German MEP Werner Kuhn, a member of the transport committee pushing the reforms, argued that regular checks are needed on caravans which can often be left 'in a barn and used only once a year'.

He added: 'Then the chicken feathers are swept away and you do not know if the brakes are still OK, if the lighting works.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-families-hundreds-pounds.html#ixzz2bVAYJMUm
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

weal it in principal is a good idea my friend was killed by a caravan that was poorly maintained i own tow caravans and would never dream of using then unless i had given them a service it takes but a few hrs. at the start off the season tyres not perished both brakes cumin on not jamming or binding no dangerous parts and lights work :thumb:i think it's a grate idea get sum of the dangerous scrap off the road it not nice going to a funeral just for the sake of a few hrs. ore a £100 pound bill for a safety check rather bury sum money than a loved one and it will give sum one a business opportunity
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Holidaymakers are to be hit with bills for hundreds of pounds under European Union plans to impose MoT-style tests on caravans.

Up to 200,000 families could be affected by the draconian demands which it is warned could devastate the UK’s tourism economy.

What a load of scaremongering crap! Typical newspaper headlines. The majority will probably pass ok, of the rest, do you want them left on the road?

As for cost? Car mot is £54.85 so caravan at the most will be the same.

Ian

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Annual compulsory habitation checks for motorhomes I guess will be included. Looks like a good time to become a tester. Great business opportunity for some.
I wonder if this will start in the third year of life as with the MOT or yearly from new.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
the very minimum should be brakes lights and o2 detector the habitation check is only as good as the day it was done as is the MOT so carbon monoxide detector minimum and and offence to remove battery's
a lot of deaths in caravan are from carbon monoxide :Sad:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The EU may have declared war BUT dont panick it aint informed its soldiers yet:Doh:
Corpral Geo

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
This is an excellent idea, how many caravans and trailers towing boats etc etc do you see on the road, broken down on the side of the motorway because they aren`t maintained.
Easy to police for caravans, when you come to insure it they`ll be able to check on the national register if it has a current safety certificate.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This is an excellent idea, how many caravans and trailers towing boats etc etc do you see on the road, broken down on the side of the motorway because they aren`t maintained.
Easy to police for caravans, when you come to insure it they`ll be able to check on the national register if it has a current safety certificate.:thumb:

Unless things have changed since I last 'tugged' insurance for caravans is not compulsory.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Unless things have changed since I last 'tugged' insurance for caravans is not compulsory.

Your right, it's not. However, whilst (loosely) on the subject, compulsory insurance for cycles, plus a number plate to record the owner/peddler might be a good idea.:helptitanic:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
What a load of scaremongering crap! Typical newspaper headlines. The majority will probably pass ok, of the rest, do you want them left on the road?

As for cost? Car mot is £54.85 so caravan at the most will be the same.

Ian
and I have over a dozen trailers etc. think about the cost to farmers and suchlike.

merovingian

Free Member
Apr 18, 2010
Mons Belgium
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584
Exp
Noob
Biannual tests

Here in Belgium and also in germany where i lived for years before its been mandatory to test the lights and brakes on caravans for years, in Germany they also test the gas system too.
Bit surprised its not the case in the uk!
They check the towbar etc on the towcar at the same time to confirm all works as it is supposed to

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Don't see the problem Hilda. MOT will be around £40 and if it were mine I would like to know it was roadworthy.

Where does the "hundreds of pounds" come from??? :Smile:

He's spent too much time with you Munchie and knows how quickly costs rise!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
After seeing the remains of a Caravan & Jaguar tow car last year near Bolventor, where the Caravan body had parted from the Chassis, I think that Mots for ALL Trailers is a great idea.

AND rego too, their own #plate. Not only for the Safety aspect, for OTHER road users,

but, for the revenue it will bring in to the Exchequer!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
of course it cost money to get some vans through a test.it certainly it cost to get my old van through.but it makes sure it is roadworthy.not the the van in front of me,that started to fall apart.causing damage to quite a number of cars and trucks.he pulled the van onto the hard shoulder,dropped it.and then drove off.silly b------- forgot to take his no/plate of.so we can hope the police can get the git.:Angry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Why Roger:Doh: is Ace Rallyman NOT road worthy:Eeek:
a bit late replying, yes Mel is is roadworthy, but I have 6 various trailers and the Caravan there is no way I could afford to have them all registered, plated and MOT'd the annual cost would exceed my income. Bloody stupid idea.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
caravan mot's

Not before time !! seeing the state of some of them on the road, obviously been stored for months, roofs and side covered in green, lights not working properly.
Grossly overloaded and pulled by cars that are too small, Police should pull more of the buggers over and get them off the road.
btw what happens if one broke loose from a car and was not insured,if the car druver had told their car insurer !!
Who would you/could you claim from ??
We have to be taxed,mot's and insured then so should they too !!

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
If this legislation gets pushed through then there just might be a whole lot of caravans "dumped" in various European campsites/storage facilities.

[HI]The ferry companies must be cock-a-hoop at the prospect of increased trade with owners having to return to UK with their caravans for their annual MOT [/HI]!

Not sure why you think that would happen!

With every traveling caravan there has to be a tow vehicle so surely the owner would need to come back to the UK anyway, in most cases.

Vans that are sited permanently like mine will just stay where they are.

:Cool:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
A reazon too leave,this is not our leglisatio.That Bimbo of transport secretary needs to get her act together.

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Perhaps a silly question but how can they monitor this with all the old caravans?

They dont have registration numbers so unless insurance companies provide details the government wont be able to trace them.

Personally I think every vehicle and every trailer on our roads should have annual safety checks and that includes mobility scooters too.

Simple answer to that is to give caravans, once tested, it's own registration.

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Caravan itv or mot

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, if you own and use a caravan surely it's best to know that it's roadworthy !
Why should a caravan be exempt from checks and tests. They're just as likely to cause an accident as any other vehicle if not maintained correctly .
Just my thoughts by the way before I upset anyone :Smile:
Forgot to say that here in Spain all trailers inc. caravans over a certain weight have their own reg. no. And they pay yearly tax.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It comes down to money! People don't want to have to spend money ensuring their trailer is up to scratch. Doesn't matter if the brakes don't work or if the tyres are dodgy, as long as they don't have to spend a penny its ok. After all they know their trailer/caravan is perfect.:ROFLMAO:

You see them every year in hedges, don't know how to tow them either. Sorry but if it improves safety then I am all for it, inspite of the fact it will cost me money. Who thinks car mot's are a waste of money? Probably the same people who think trailer mot's are.

Unfortunately some people who do look after their trailers/caravans are caught as well, but that's always the case.

Ian

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
After seeing the remains of a Caravan & Jaguar tow car last year near Bolventor, where the Caravan body had parted from the Chassis, I think that Mots for ALL Trailers is a great idea.

AND rego too, their own #plate. Not only for the Safety aspect, for OTHER road users,

but, for the revenue it will bring in to the Exchequer!

More caravans off the road....Less visitors to Cornwall?

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
As usual it will effect the good owners who already pay out, £130 in our case to have the caravan checked over, which my husband has to have done for the warranty, it is also registered, so if it means he will have to pay out for an mot as well, that is not on, as I doubt that the warranty people will accept the mot , mind you left to me I would sell the caravan, as I prefer motor homes, but it isn`t up to me.:ROFLMAO:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Its not about safety...its about creating another tax category....and yet more offices filled with eurocrats.
If they don't get your money one way......they will create others.

The joys of the EU.

barry:Smile:

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating

It's ok concerning themselves about local garages carrying out MOT's on vehicles but how often have you thought, when you take a vehicle in, that its a licence for them to print money. Far better a government test centre which carries out no repairs only points out what needs sorting out. Likewise, human nature being what it is, of the many thousands of caravans on British roads how many owners would carry out a voluntary testing of their van, especially when the novelty wears off?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back