EU and Ebay (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Back after a 3 year break.
A word to the wise. I've sold a 2nd hand traditional bike on Ebay. I did state 'collection in person' , but then amended it to say I would accept someone arranging their own courier, not anticipating an international buyer. The buyer was from Austria, arranged their own courier and I duly boxed the bike, handed over to the courier and thought 'job done'. BUT ! I've been copied into an email from the courier to the buyer informing him that the bike is being held by Customs as they want to know if it is an electric bike or a 'classic bike'. If it is an electric bike it needs a certificate of conformity , if it is a 'classic' bike it comes under 'banned goods' for export from the UK to EU. I've done my bit in good faith; I'm just hoping that this problem doesn't come back to bite me. What do you think ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sadly, it's going to cost you. The buyer will be refunded by ebay and as you didn't book the courier the bike can't be returned to you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sadly, it's going to cost you. The buyer will be refunded by ebay and as you didn't book the courier the bike can't be returned to you
Usually, if duty isn't paid the item is returned to sender.
The OP maybe never paid for or arrange the courrier but it was their house it was collected from therefore, the sender.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I presume you supplied an invoice to the courier for customs purposes, what was the description you used on it?

OP
OP
B
Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My only involvement with the courier was to print off the online transit label , stick it on the box and hand over to the courier. I wasn't asked about the contents, value, invoice, or to fill in any paperwork.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As the exporter you are responsible for arranging the correct paperwork.
The best you can hope for is the bike is returned to you but I expect you will have to pay the couriers charges.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I think Lenny is correct, in fact I'm surprised the courier accepted it without an invoice, maybe ebay have a deal with a courier company where they supply the documents. Descriptions are very important as every commodity has a tariff code even ones that are zero rated and can mean the difference between paying duty or not or even being classed as having an export ban.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Sounds a bit iffy I wonder if it's a scam and the buyer trying to get you to refund him.

I would check the legitimacy of the email from the courier - look at something called the "message headers" in your email client to establish where the email came from(bit technical unfortunately). Not 100% bullet proof but will catch most scams - if it didn't come from the courier then it's a scam. If it did come from the courier then you're back to square 1. Good luck!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is a classic issue in international trade. If the terms of sale are not fully agreed in advance this leaves dubiety as to who is responsible for what in the transaction.
It has been an issue for 100's of years and as a result as set of terms have been developed to address this, Incoterms.
Simplistically put, it should have been made clear at the outset that the product was being sold under EXW (Incoterms 2020) and this clearly defines that the seller is only responsible for making the product, appropriately packed, available to the buyer. The buyer then being responsible for all cost, processes, etc for export, transport and import.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So what happens with all the bikes that go to Europe on the back of motorhomes, how does anyone know they aren't being exported, makes no sense to me, and why couldn't the buyer just have bought one at home.
Can't see anything but a scam but very complicated just for the sake of the value of a normal bike.

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
There are large tariffs put on most goods in the EU. Particularly bikes, so to make sure cheaper imports are not made round Thier price hike they have a ban on bikes not officially imported. Type approval is another mechanism for the same end. Thats why they have the rules applied to us as a third country.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
So what happens with all the bikes that go to Europe on the back of motorhomes, how does anyone know they aren't being exported, makes no sense to me, and why couldn't the buyer just have bought one at home.
Can't see anything but a scam but very complicated just for the sake of the value of a normal bike.
I know nothing on this subject other than when son No2 transit Ed Timor L'est and Indonesia on his Postie bike he had to have an Insurance Carnet to prevent him selling the bike en route.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The buyer was from Austria, arranged their own courier
Being a cynic, was the buyer in Austria? Was it a genuine courier or the buyer from home in the U.K?

I've been copied into an email from the courier to the buyer informing him that the bike is being held by Customs as they want to know if it is an electric bike or a 'classic bike'.
Or was the copied 'Customs' email sent to you by the buyer been written by himself?
Sounds very odd to me that someone in Austria was so desperate to buy an ordinary bicycle (especially with all the hills over there ;)).

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Dec 2, 2013
West Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The bike was a folding Bike Friday Pocket Llama. A tourist type bike good for the hills, and not many around. Email seems genuine. I'm not sure how things will play out; but I'll know in a day or so.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

I doubt it's a scam.
We are going to see a lot more of this type of issue.

As for bikes on the back of a motorhome, if the UK continues to try to play hardball with the EU then you can expect Carnets to be required for every motorhome.
Not only will you need to list the bikes, but also the electric kettle, the toaster, the TV, the deckchairs, the BBQ, and even the motorhome itself.
The Carnet will then need to be checked and stamped at every single internal EU border crossing.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I doubt it's a scam.

As for bikes on the back of a motorhome, if the UK continues to try to play hardball with the EU then you can expect Carnets to be required for every motorhome.
Not only will you need to list the bikes, but also the electric kettle, the toaster, the TV, the deckchairs, the BBQ, and even the motorhome itself.
The Carnet will then need to be checked and stamped at every single internal EU border crossing.
I guess Ryan air would like that so we all fly

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
This is a classic issue in international trade. If the terms of sale are not fully agreed in advance this leaves dubiety as to who is responsible for what in the transaction.
It has been an issue for 100's of years and as a result as set of terms have been developed to address this, Incoterms.
Simplistically put, it should have been made clear at the outset that the product was being sold under EXW (Incoterms 2020) and this clearly defines that the seller is only responsible for making the product, appropriately packed, available to the buyer. The buyer then being responsible for all cost, processes, etc for export, transport and import.
Spot on Gellyneck. The buyer assumes all responsibility for the item the moment it is handed ("delivered") to the courier.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
If the customs were aware it was being transported from the UK you have no chance and no doubt you won't see it again, I have been exporting parcels overseas for a long time I stopped it on Jan 1st because I knew what was going to happen

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I doubt it's a scam.

You would say that wouldnt you, not getting into a political argument but its not just us thats playing hardball, thats what negotiation is all about

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
You would say that wouldnt you, not getting into a political argument but its not just us thats playing hardball, thats what negotiation is all about
I couldn't possibly comment ;)
Last time, despite stating a fact rather than an opinion, I got banned for a month.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back