ETIAS for British Citizens - from 2022, all you need to know (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Found this link which clearly explains what is involved later in 2022 when ETIAS comes into operation. Thought others may find it helpful.

ETIAS for British Citizens - ETIAS.COM

(For the avoidance of doubt....... This scheme has been in planning since 2016 and is NOTHING to do with Brexit. Two recent threads to which I have contributed - hopefully with helpful contributions - have been withdrawn by Jim because of futile rehashing of pointless Brexit debate postings.)

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Interesting. Don’t think I’ve heard of it before

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Very useful info, thanks - but is the site you linked to one of those commercial ones which charge (usually handsomely) for things available free of charge elsewhere? (like with EHICs)
If so, I'm happy to get the info from them, but certainly won't be bookmarking the site for future use!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Very useful info, thanks - but is the site you linked to one of those commercial ones which charge (usually handsomely) for things available free of charge elsewhere? (like with EHICs)
If so, I'm happy to get the info from them, but certainly won't be bookmarking the site for future use!
It will be free for under 18s and over 70s but the charge for the rest of us is unconfirmed. No doubt there will be naughty commercial sites as well.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
It will be free for under 18s and over 70s but the charge for the rest of us is unconfirmed. No doubt there will be naughty commercial sites as well.
The EU Commission have announced that the cost will be Euro 7 and valid for 3 years.

ETIAS is instead of short term visas when the current arrangements expire. I guess you still need a visa for longer visits.
I do not think this is correct. The UK (British passport holders) is one of a number of Countries who do not need a Visa for short-term visits within the 90-in-180 day rules. Some other Countries do need a Visa for any entry into the EU and usually have to obtain it from an Embassy in their own Country prior to travel. The ETIAS (similar to the USA visa-free travel arrangements) is for security reasons so that they know who is travelling. Any stays in the Schengen area over 90 days will require a Visa, but presently it looks as if this will not be possible for tourism purposes. It seems likely that a number of Countries within the Schengen area may offer longer Visas for tourism, but these are almost certainly only valid in the Country which issues them. Much has already said on other threads about these matters, including how anyone would know if you had an extended stay Visa for (say) Spain but spent time in France.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I hope this is not considered a highjack, it is merely an observation
A copy and paste from the info

these visitors are not allowed to work or study, but can engage in business and tourism activities.

Does strike me as very elitist .. You are not allowed to work ( suggesting manual work ) but can conduct business
Surely conducting business IS work ?
So if you are in the upper echelons of society you can work, while the prols are not allowed to..
I could not be farther away from the communist ideal, but that really does snap of do as I tell you, not as I do !!

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
This looks ok for me.
On this site the question of staying more than 90 days is always foremost, in fact I found myself searching for this when reading it, even though the most I have been away in the EU was 56 days. Im not saying people shouldn’t want to do so, if they can, but just how many people do actually need this 90 plus days? Am I in a minority of motorhomers who go abroad but would never consider being away from home so long.
Presumably the rules were drawn up by bureaucrats who had some sort of reason to select 90 days as a criteria, hopefully based on it covering a large % of visitors.
Clearly it wasn’t set up for plus 90 days, so for me ETIAS is good to go.
I hope there is a visa available for those who want plus 90 days, as surely it is in EU countries interests to encourage as much tourism as possible.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017

these visitors are not allowed to work or study, but can engage in business and tourism activities.

Does strike me as very elitist .. You are not allowed to work ( suggesting manual work ) but can conduct business
So if you are in the upper echelons of society you can work, while the prols are not allowed to..
I could not be farther away from the communist ideal, but that really does snap of do as I tell you, not as I do !!

I don’t think elitism is the reason for this. For those Countries for which the EU permits Visa-free travel, it is accepted that (for example) someone might travel for a short stay to finalise a business contract to perhaps buy or sell something. This is somewhat different from someone travelling as a tourist and finding work there (perhaps being seen as taking a job from an EU Citizen). To do this, a Work Visa will be required. I seem to remember some similar concerns in the UK being expressed in the recent past by some folk...... but perhaps best not to go there!

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I started this thread with the aim of sharing what I thought was fairly straightforward information....... But for anyone who likes to be confused, this is likely to help!!!:doh:

IMG-20210117-WA0002.jpg

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013

The Business activities usually considered are things like attending a trade Show or conference, going for business meetings or to sell something in another market.

For example I could go to The Netherlands or Canada (Similar example) and sell a new Software project but I would not be able to implement or work on the project. The difference is short term business activities 1-2 days versus weeks and weeks of project work.

Reactions: DBK

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The Business activities usually considered are things like attending a trade Show or conference, going for business meetings or to sell something in another market.

For example I could go to The Netherlands or Canada (Similar example) and sell a new Software project but I would not be able to implement or work on the project. The difference is short term business activities 1-2 days versus weeks and weeks of project work.
All of which are work.... Unless it is hobby related ???

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Looks like it’s free for under 18 yr and over 70 year olds, so worth checking
the small print.

looks like it’s similar to other travel country entry info , got ours into india and Sri Lanka in minutes a few years , all electronic.

if you have a criminal record or deemed un-desirable it might throw up some issues.

wonder if it will requires an address you are staying at.....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
All of which are work.... Unless it is hobby related ???
The difference is you are not working for a company in the EU. If you are selling something, for example, then you will be being paid by the British* based company which employs you.

No idea how NI stands!

Jul 24, 2020
San Antonio Tlayacapan, Mexico
Funster No
MH
2023 LTV Unity TB
Exp
ETIAS replaces the visa waiver program that travelers like us Canadians have operated under for years. To continue visa free access to the EU for 90 days everyone who has a passport from a visa waiver country will now have to apply for an ETIAS every three years to maintain visa free access. I think there are some 60+ countries on that list.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I don’t think elitism is the reason for this. For those Countries for which the EU permits Visa-free travel, it is accepted that (for example) someone might travel for a short stay to finalise a business contract to perhaps buy or sell something. This is somewhat different from someone travelling as a tourist and finding work there (perhaps being seen as taking a job from an EU Citizen). To do this, a Work Visa will be required. I seem to remember some similar concerns in the UK being expressed in the recent past by some folk...... but perhaps best not to go there!
That was my interpretation as well. Used to train people overseas on short term visits to use equipment the company had supplied, but was paid by my company in UK. None of the countries I visited wanted a work visa. sometimes Zi would go out early with the install engineers to help fit kit so hands on the tools but same payment conditions so no visas needed. We eventually placed a salesman full time in the USA. I can’t remember how long the minimum was but even though he was paid in the UK because it was over a certain time he needed a visa. This was before ETIAS came into being.
Just notice Orridge has posted similar.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Fortunately UK permanent residents in EU states do not require them. (y)

Broken Link Removed

I was going to make that point but gus-lopez beat me.

It makes the thread title a bit misleading, because it is only Residents of UK that need ETIAS and not British Citizens with Residency in EU States, and there a quite a large number.

Geoff

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It makes the thread title a bit misleading, because it is only Residents of UK that need ETIAS and not British Citizens with Residency in EU States, and there a quite a large number.
I don’t find anything misleading in the title. It says ETIAS for UK Citizens, there is nothing there to say who it applies to and who doesn’t need it. That is in the links provided. It is a very helpful post and there isn’t room in the title bar to put in that sort of detail.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don’t find anything misleading in the title. It says ETIAS for UK Citizens, there is nothing there to say who it applies to and who doesn’t need it. That is in the links provided. It is a very helpful post and there isn’t room in the title bar to put in that sort of detail.

I am sure it applies to other nationals travelling from UK, so maybe 'British residents' instead of British Citizens would have covered all.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am sure it applies to other nationals travelling from UK, so maybe 'British residents' instead of British Citizens would have covered all.
Sorry but I think you are expecting too much of the OP. ETIAS will apply to most people on this site and the title makes no suggestion that it will apply to all UK Citizens. I clicked the link knowing nothing about the subject to find out whether it applies to me. You clicked the link and seem to have found out it doesn’t apply to you. There is absolutely nothing in the title to mislead either of us.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry but I think you are expecting too much of the OP. ETIAS will apply to most people on this site and the title makes no suggestion that it will apply to all UK Citizens. I clicked the link knowing nothing about the subject to find out whether it applies to me. You clicked the link and seem to have found out it doesn’t apply to you. There is absolutely nothing in the title to mislead either of us.

Au contraire, I think the link does not help the likes of me and thousands of others. I know about it because of the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, which provides for different Residency Cards being issued to British Nationals and which specifically exempt one from needing ETIAS, and having passports stamped. Other British Citizens would not have learned that from the OP link, which is why gus-lopez and I brought up the point.

Geoff

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Au contraire, I think the link does not help the likes of me and thousands of others. I know about it because of the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, which provides for different Residency Cards being issued to British Nationals and which specifically exempt one from needing ETIAS, and having passports stamped. Other British Citizens would not have learned that from the OP link, which is why gus-lopez and I brought up the point.

Geoff
As an EU resident I would expect you to know the specific requirements for maintaining your residency. The comment by gus-lopez was an interesting contribution to the discussion. However your comment about the thread title being misleading is hardly fair, you can not expect the title to contain detailed information on how the matter will affect all individuals. I have no idea what your reason was for criticising the op’s title but as far as I am concerned it contributed nothing helpful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back