Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
We are in the final stages of shucking off this brick and mortar existence and in 18 days will be on the ferry to Santander in our 2013 Autosleepers Broadway FB for a well earned 2 year stint in the sun. Still having access to computers and tinternet though, put my mind to estimating costs involved. Here is a section of spreadsheet with our paid out costs, estimates and downright guesses. Have a look, have a laugh but get back with your slant on things.

spreads.jpg

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Be very interesting to see how reality changes these figures, I look forward to updates as and when you start paying the daily costs. I suspect that the individual figures will vary but, although I have no experience of full-timing, I don't think your overall annual figure will be far out. I am sure there will be a few alomng soon with some real costs but all of these must be a very individual thing and will vary greatly on your chosen life-style. Good luck and enjoy every minute of it though. If you enjoy it the cost is not the biggest factor.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Your depreciation looks optimistic we work on 5k pa. (From new)
Also your insurance looks cheap for full timing.
You don't seem to drink much either.:D

Best of luck to you. Enjoy yourselves.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We are in the final stages of shucking off this brick and mortar existence and in 18 days will be on the ferry to Santander in our 2013 Autosleepers Broadway FB for a well earned 2 year stint in the sun. Still having access to computers and tinternet though, put my mind to estimating costs involved. Here is a section of spreadsheet with our paid out costs, estimates and downright guesses. Have a look, have a laugh but get back with your slant on things.

spreads.jpg
I like your spread sheet, do you have a separate one for actual spends so you can compare to your predictions?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We think the food budget is extremely tight @ £4.11 p.p.p.d. :eek:

A circa £2.6k per year / £50 per week emergency contingency fund may be a wise addition :)

Enjoy :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Your depreciation looks optimistic we work on 5k pa. (From new)
Also your insurance looks cheap for full timing.
You don't seem to drink much either.:D

Best of luck to you. Enjoy yourselves.(y)
in spain that could be 2000ltrs of red wine or 2000ltrs of beer.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We think the food budget is extremely tight @ £4.11 p.p.p.d. :eek:

A circa £2.6k per year / £50 per week emergency contingency fund may be a wise addition :)
We budget €50 -60 a week on food, not including eating out. I guess it depends on what the line "Good Times" covers.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
In your calculations you have not pencilled in the extra ferry back and forth to the UK...

For the MOT.... (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
In your calculations you have not pencilled in the extra ferry back and forth to the UK...

For the MOT.... (y)

The ferry back every 90 days to keep to the terms of the standard insurance because that isn't a full time policy for 400 notes (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is there a woman going or not? I can't see a line for clothes, shoes, handbags etc.

I would just double the total and you won't be far off, or if you want to be really frugal add 50%.

Martin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I am of the view your broadband costs will be higher in Europe, as will your campsite prices (This can be reduced if you use a combination of free stopover places and Aires (look at Camper contact). On the other side of the coin your phone bill seems very high. The true answer though is another matter.
Safe Travels

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We full time.
Over the last 3 years we have averaged near to your total but....
Not included depreciation.
Spent a fraction of your estimate on sites. (Mainly aires etc)
Doubled your food costs, inc eating out.
Booze about the same - without skimping, but drinking mainly in/around the van.

Enjoy, we have never looked back.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is there a woman going or not? I can't see a line for clothes, shoes, handbags etc.

I would just double the total and you won't be far off, or if you want to be really frugal add 50%.

Martin
just with a quick look I would be at least 8,500 less .:D(y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I would have a contingency fund of £5,000 and a slush fund of £5,000 for those little extras. Also Health insurance with repatriation costs covered.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think the depreciation is a bit low both our vans it has been 2K/year or 5%, Motorhome insurance for full timing likely to be to three times your estimate but I think your site charges are high as I would expect if full timing to make more use of free Aires and wild camping. Mobile phone bill seems high probably best to buy phones if you get dual sim phones you can keep a UK sim active for UK contacts and buy sims in each country. Otherwise looks OK.

Deleted User
We sort of full time in that we have a static van in France that we use for around 10 weeks and a sited 5'er in Portugal as well as a Globecar PVC.

Our costs for last year (Sept15 - Sept 16) for 44 weeks on the continent, all figures in Euros

Site fees... €6450......this is high because of extra costs for static van and costs for sited 5'er when not in use.
estimate €4200 without these extras......aprox €14 a night, always on sites.Site costs are highly variable, depending on where you stop and for how long, one night stops on sites in Spain can be very expensive and if you are there in the Summer there will be no discounts such as the ACSI discount scheme, though some sites give 10% with the Camping Carnet (CCI) which is worth having as a form of ID anyway.

Food... €3000....aprox €10/day....this figure has been remarkably consistent over the 8 years we have been doing this but does not include drink or eating out.

Other.. €4500 which includes drink, eating out and all other items. Last year we spent €1500 on exceptional items such as dentist (€600) and household stuff for the static and 5'er.

Fuel €1200....but of course that is highly dependent on vehicle and mileage.

Overall we spend around €12000 to €15000 for our 42/44 week stays in Europe and again this has been remarkably consistent.

These figures take no account of vehicle costs in the UK such as depreciation, insurance, servicing etc nor ferry costs or air travel costs for visits home and sites etc when in the UK.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Is it worth including depreciation?
IMHO, no, you can't spend it; variable cost that does not affect the 2 year stint (y) Further, not such a thing if you never plan to sell - it will always be the same to you (y). Same as negative equity - doesn't exist if you pay off the mortgage and have no intention of moving.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
where did you find full time insurance for that amount?from what ive learnt on here its more than double that .
i also think depreciation is low unless its quite an old van probably lose 25%the minute you drive a new one out of the showroom

OP
OP
jansellsbond

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
Wow! You peeps seem to have more time than me. (Wonder why?) Whilst you have been answering all my questions I have: Sold the 3 piece suite. Dumped the dishwasher (OOOOOO! I will miss it) cleaned the shower head, cooked a meal, hovered the living room carpet, dropped and smashed a hard disk with 36,000 photos on it and advertised the double bed for sale. All part of going fulltime.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you double everything you may be somewhere near..

OP
OP
jansellsbond

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
But to clarify one or two points raised:

Yes. Probably depreciation is too much. Bought the van at 18 months old and got a brilliant price on our old Mondial. Perhaps this should be ignored anyway as the van will depreciate here as much as anywhere.

I will be compiling an accurate spreadsheet for actual costs as I go along.

Food budget will be increased.

We will ferry back via Dover Calais and I will pencil in a couple of hundred a year for that … thanks.

Thanks funflair. Mrs. Jansellsbond thought she had to take all her shoes and handbags with her. Now no need for the trailer!

We have 2 ee contract phones with calling abroad. No data though. I was intending to purchase data sim in each country.

Drink was £1000.00 p.a.

We are intending to 50/50 sites and freebies. (We are far from new to this in Europe but only in school holidays.)

Full time insurance for the MH is from Adrian Flux with an extra condition that the 90 day is increased to 365 day abroad for a total of £361.00 p.a.. Yes full time.

Travel and medical insurance is as stated on the spreadsheet. Paid yesterday 18 months for £635.00. Full repatriation, declared medical conditions 55 / 65 years old, 5mill medical, cancellation, camping equipment. The works...from Staysure.

Booze: for me 1 litre cold beer from the fridge and one glass of red each evening. For Mrs Jansellsbond:….mmmmmm. 1 small beer and 2 glasses of white Rioja.

Keep it coming.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
last year in most supermarkets a litre of beer was only well less than 50p.
you might have to try conde noble wine in lidl . its ok.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My wife has her medical & travel insurance with europesure for 120€ Same cover except only 3 million medical. She purchased this for visiting Australia but found out that it also covers her permanently whilst in the Uk as she is a resident here.(y)

If you double everything you may be somewhere near..
I'd be dividing by three ! :LOL:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
But to clarify one or two points raised:

Yes. Probably depreciation is too much. Bought the van at 18 months old and got a brilliant price on our old Mondial. Perhaps this should be ignored anyway as the van will depreciate here as much as anywhere.

I will be compiling an accurate spreadsheet for actual costs as I go along.

Food budget will be increased.

We will ferry back via Dover Calais and I will pencil in a couple of hundred a year for that … thanks.

Thanks funflair. Mrs. Jansellsbond thought she had to take all her shoes and handbags with her. Now no need for the trailer!

We have 2 ee contract phones with calling abroad. No data though. I was intending to purchase data sim in each country.

Drink was £1000.00 p.a.

We are intending to 50/50 sites and freebies. (We are far from new to this in Europe but only in school holidays.)

Full time insurance for the MH is from Adrian Flux with an extra condition that the 90 day is increased to 365 day abroad for a total of £361.00 p.a.. Yes full time.

Travel and medical insurance is as stated on the spreadsheet. Paid yesterday 18 months for £635.00. Full repatriation, declared medical conditions 55 / 65 years old, 5mill medical, cancellation, camping equipment. The works...from Staysure.

Booze: for me 1 litre cold beer from the fridge and one glass of red each evening. For Mrs Jansellsbond:….mmmmmm. 1 small beer and 2 glasses of white Rioja.

Keep it coming.

Are you sure about your policy with adrian Flux?? Been with them years but they could not give me a policy for more than 90 days european cover several phone calls definate no. So went to AIB this was only a couple of weeks ago?? paid over £450 ins and breakdown 365 cover up to 8months any one trip but not fulltime and 10000 miles

OP
OP
jansellsbond

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
Adrian Flux in Black and White 365 in place of 90 days, 10,000 mi;es. Also was on the phone for ages with them explaining exactly what we intended to do (2 years fulltiming with correspondence address in UK.) No breakdown cover although we are with CCC Aviva for 90 days. We will be "popping" home occasionally to see kids and grandkids.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back