May 22, 2010
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One year
Hi all,

Planning our first RV trip in the summer and have been contemplating the great decision about whether to go all the way on peage / autoroute or to stick to the toll-free roads.

Does anyone know of a website which will help to estimate the cost of tolls on a particular route? (Don't ask which route, 'cos we haven't chosen it yet!) :Eeek:

Regards

Graham

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Link Removed

that site will give you the toll cost of any routes with toll charges, you can choose with or without toll, dont forget you are charged per axle so if your vehicle isnt in the list (quite probable) choose the nearest to it and the amountof axles

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
tolls vary according to where you are , but I presume you are over 3 metres high so class 4

reckon on 25p/mile and you won't be too far out

not cheap , is it ; €70 for me to go from the south of france to paris with a class 2 , under 3 metres , under 3.5 tonnes motorhome !

fortunately there are good roads with not toll ..where have you planned on going ? south ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

We have toured France extensively with a 36ft RV and trailer, your RV will be class 3, or class 4 if you have a toad or trailer.

As already noted, Toll roads are quite expensive, but this has to be balanced out against having to negotiate endless villages with narrow lanes, traffic calming chicanes and countless roundabouts.. very tiring and slow going with a big outfit, and you will use a lot more fuel.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't use N roads, there are many that are almost as good as autoroutes. Study a good map and decide where it would be prudent to use the the toll roads ..

Toll roads are great for effortless cruising, very relaxing and with fuel and aires ( paking and picnic spots ) every 20 km or so it's never a problem finding a place for a break..

For me the extra cost is worth it ... however, if I had a small euro van I would use less.

Via Michelin also do routes with toll costs calculated .. http://www.viamichelin.com/

Worth noting, when choosing a Peage (toll) both, keep to the right and go in the HGV lane, the car lanes are very narrow and many have height barriers ..

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Lebesset is right if you are a big rv it will be class four. Also depending on where you are going there are toll free motorway/duel carriageways so check all poss routes that you might be able to go and most have a major road more or less alongside

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
When we took the car to Spain a few years ago I used mappy.com, for a first timer I found it great as it shows the sign posts you would expect to find at each junction aswell as costs

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
jim , if you are over 3 metres high you are in class 4 irrespective of number of axles according to the regs

some under 3.5 tonne 2 axle italian motorhomes were withdrawn from the french market because they were over 3 metres high

don't ask me why this height limit

if one of the operators offers you class 3 , accept quickly

of course there are exceptions , I know buses under 3 metres with only 2 axles are charged class 4 on some routes

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
jim , if you are over 3 metres high you are in class 4 irrespective of number of axles according to the regs

some under 3.5 tonne 2 axle italian motorhomes were withdrawn from the french market because they were over 3 metres high

don't ask me why this height limit

if one of the operators offers you class 3 , accept quickly

of course there are exceptions , I know buses under 3 metres with only 2 axles are charged class 4 on some routes

I can only say as I found, I have never been charged class 4 on an autoroute and I have been on most of them at one time or another .. RV is 11mt and about 4mt high

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , according to the regulations [ at least the version in french ] over 3 metres should be group 4 , no arguments

in fact I met someone with a german motorhome last winter who complained he had been charged group 4 on the millau viaduct because of his height ! treble the car price :cry:

a bit much for a 2 axle 4 tonne motorhome !

looks like you have a magic touch !

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I dont argue with them on some booths i get away with a class 2(car and caravan) but in reality im a class 4 as over the 3 mtrs high and 3.5t weight

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We are 3.05m high and 6.5m long. On manned booths, we always pay Class 2. On automatic booths - fortunately have only been through 2 of em - Class 3. Now you are telling me we are Class 4 !!!!!

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
if the trailer isn't alongside the pay unit the height doesn't get measured I am told

class 2 eh ? why don't you tell them it is a 250Kg luggage trailer then it would be class 1 !

anyway , these people are civil servant s , they don't care ..I once came along when there had been a dispute with the boss , the operators just opened the barriers and waved me through!

Upvote 0

hymer2001

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Thirsk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2years
Highway robbery

Have just returned from Morocco. Hymer tag axle 8m nd 3.2 high. Algeciraz to French border 7 euros motorway all the way. Round the corner and into France Bayonne to Bordeaux motorway, there really is no other alternative now, 50euro to do less than 200k. The booths are unmanned and we were classed as type 4 regularly paying 15 .70 euro. This is only 4 euro less than a HGV. It was a Sunday and the offices were all closed when I tried to check the classification. Got stuck at a barrier when the machine refused to take the note we proffered. A kind lady changed it for us. It is only going to get worse as France sinks into the recession mire. You seem to be charged by the number of axles, the height and the weight. But I do not understand why a car and caravan is only some 5 euro for the same distance as we were paying 15 for.:Angry:

Upvote 0

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm of the belief that the RV, over 3500kg, over 3m high is class 3 with only one rear axle - like most coaches. Coaches are class 3. Tandem axle coaches, such as the Neoplan and Irizar are class 4.

Here is the link to the Autoroutes website and vehicle list.

We are class four due to the tandem axle and as such avoid tolls like the plague. We have covered a few toll free routes and these are documented Link Broken.

If you send an email to the Autoroutes people with your dimensions and journey, they will tell you the class and the cost. Very helpful people.

Russell

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Doesn't appear to be any standard according to the various replies.

We travelled extensively in a 36ft Rv which was well over 3m high and only ever got charged as class 3. We now travel in a tag axle Hymer 7.5 m (25ft) 3m high and 9 times out of 10 get charged as class 2 and occasionally class 3.

We use N roads and peage but peage is certainly quicker easier and cheaper on fuel. We do like to wander along and see the countryside off the N roads but its certainly slow and hard work to make any miles.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back