Essential tool kit (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
having read grommits list reminded me most of our catasrophes have involved water find out what type of pipework you have and but two stop ends for it if you get a leak being able to shut one tap or piece of pipe of can mean the difference between an inconvienence and a disaster

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
not tools but still important: hose/tap connectors, tyre pump, peg puller, old rags, white spirit, 12v phone charger.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You have got me wondering what it is at nowadays
This is in the main tool kit ( all nicely laid out as there is nothing worse than faffing around ! )

Full set of plain and crosshead drivers
full set up to 22mm combi spanners
set of mini spanners with 90 degree angled open ends
3/8 drive socket set
several different types of pliers and grips including 2 x pipe wrenches and mole grips
Hacksaw ( small )
different types of files
Hole cutters
Two types of electic drills
4 sets of drill bits
two x soldering irons
Solder
Set square
four different types of craft knife
large claw hammer
Various types of tape
tweezers
Two multimeters
12v voltage tester ( screw driver type with LED )
bradawl
All sorts of wee bits and bobs that do not spring to mind

Then there is the parts toolbox
That has all the screws, nuts, bolts, wire rolls, glues ( various ), ties, spares for the van ( even have a spare solar controller ) and lord only knows what else

In the back in the garage I have all the bigger stuff such as a tube of sikaflex and gun, oils, ropes etc etc

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
WD40 and that heavy duty tape.
The WD stops the tape sticking.
I have a tool bag with several sockets and spanners torquex drives, Gaffer tape, etc This goes in the car or in the van and is enough to try a repair of most things. If you do not have them you are stuffed and going to become a lot poorer. I also bought a new serpentine drive belt, as that drives all of the engine bits, Might be difficult to get one if it broke in the middle of nowhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
After another thread on here I found myself accidentally purchasing the toolkit in the aluminium case that is on offer at the mo in Halfords, to replace my current emergency toolkit. In addition, ob2 reader, duct tape, wd40 and a multimeter.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a torque wrench for wheel nuts....quicker than waiting for breakdown guy.
I already have a hydraulic jack on each corner.

A handful of screwdrivers, a few metric spanners, fuses (essential) and some leccy tape.

For anything else I have my RAC arrivals card.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No good carrying tools if you dont know how to use them.
If you do know how to use them you should have a good idea what to carry.
I disagree. Carry the tools as if someone pulls over to help you they might have the knowledge but not the tools.
Also you may be in the middle of nowhere but have an internet connection, you may get good advice on here which would be useless without the tools.

At the least carry a multimeter and a basic tool kit.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I bought a small hand winch, as we go to some off road to quiet places. It has a 60 ft quarter inch steel cable, is rated at 2 tonne and is about 10 inches long, by 5 inches deep and 5 inches wide, but weighs about 3kg.. Never used it for us, but got a fellow Brit out of a hole on Mojacar beach with it.. Over the top for most I guess, but gives me peace of mind as these front wheel drive vans "spin" at the slightest obstacle...
Mitch.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I bought a small hand winch, as we go to some off road to quiet places. It has a 60 ft quarter inch steel cable, is rated at 2 tonne and is about 10 inches long, by 5 inches deep and 5 inches wide, but weighs about 3kg.. Never used it for us, but got a fellow Brit out of a hole on Mojacar beach with it.. Over the top for most I guess, but gives me peace of mind as these front wheel drive vans "spin" at the slightest obstacle...
Mitch.
You got Michelins on by any chance ( serious question ! )

Seems to me that you don't need to carry ANY tools. Just park next to a Funster and borrow theirs!
Very true ! I reckon my tools see as much action in others hands as they do in mine !!!!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Socket set, hex keys, torqx keys, large plumbers grips, large screwdriver, hammer, insulating tape, volt stick, bulbs batteries, odd electric wire, jump leads, pressure gauge, compressor, 12V extension lead, 240V extension lead, hook-up crossover lead, frog plug to normal hook-up socket.
Half your garage in other words hilldweller (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - of course Pete carries some tools - but actually a lot of things people already have can be used for other purposes as well as their original intended function.

Viz - it's truly amazing how useful a boilie needle can be when you just need something that does whatever AND how useful a teensy double ended screwdriver intended for adjusting the screws which hold the 'arms' on spectacles can be. It 'lives' on my 'car and house key' keyring, best couple of quid I ever spent in the opticians years ago! Many knives and coins can be used as screwdrivers - but there again if you need a Hex key - or a Philips head screwdriver or a specific socket - then you need that thing exactly.

First time my first husband went abroad (in dad's car) people were telling him all the things he needed to take 'in case'. Eventually as the 'must have' list got longer he lost his rag and replied that the prop shaft might go halfway up the Pyrenees (going to Playa de Aro) - did they expect him to take one of them too?

The only way really to find out the only thing you REALLY need and can't get anywhere in Europe - is to use the van, isn't it? And you may never need anything! Rare to even need to break into the standard set of bulbs/fuses that's top of everyone's list (or compulsory LOL) and I've been a passenger/navigator in a good many different vehicles driving from England to furrin parts, since 1971.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Not Michelins JAWS, Vanco campers, but it does "spin" fairly easily.. I have had em spin on a dry road on steep hills.. And NO, my right foot is not in a diver's boot.. Do you have michelins then ? and do they spin too ? I'm ex HGV arctic instructor, so I can drive fairly well, but I don't think 15 inch wheels help..

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
I have bought a spare wheel and Tyre these new vans dont have them I can change a wheel quicker than messing about with the liquid driving a few kms and checking and reduced speed. Been told once you put the liquid in a trye it cant or tyre shops wont repair them?

I'd be interested in knowing where you store the spare wheel?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not Michelins JAWS, Vanco campers, but it does "spin" fairly easily.. I have had em spin on a dry road on steep hills.. And NO, my right foot is not in a diver's boot.. Do you have michelins then ? and do they spin too ? I'm ex HGV arctic instructor, so I can drive fairly well, but I don't think 15 inch wheels help..
I know I bang on about em Mitch, but fit those Hankooks next time mate.. I will absolutely guarantee you will be shocked at the difference in grip

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think mines pushing 100 !!!!!!!!!:LOL::LOL:

You know mate.. I believe you !!
But it has now prompted me to put mine on the scales tomorrow.
I will only do the main kit .. All the other stuff aint very heavy at all ( he says !! )

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Ta JAWS. I will definitely give Hankooks a go. Only done 6,000 since new on the Vanco's
so will have to plod on with the winch as a just in case,,,.. Thanks Brian ((Hilldweller))

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
All, don't forget the cable ties in various lengths tied up with one around. They take up very little space and have saved my skin several times - "if you can't fix it to get you home with a cable tie or two, you have problems".:giggle:

Trikeman. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back