Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
what with weight always being an issue...... For emergency repairs, what does everybody suggest should be essential tools or other bits and bobs that you shouldn't leave home without.

Best wishes

Chris

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Full toolkit shown

g1ohanvila.jpg

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I spend up to 5 months a time on a trip. From experience I would not leave without a spare (habitation) water pump and (engine) fuel filter plus the tools to change them. A selection of fuses, blade and cylinder are also a good idea. Tools themselves are always available to buy but things specific to your van aren't.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Socket set, hex keys, torqx keys, large plumbers grips, large screwdriver, hammer, insulating tape, volt stick, bulbs batteries, odd electric wire, jump leads, pressure gauge, compressor, 12V extension lead, 240V extension lead, hook-up crossover lead, frog plug to normal hook-up socket.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Sikaflex and mastic gun, ladder or some means of getting on the roof.

A selection of washers, nuts and bolts.

Decent bottle jack and torque wrench - alternatively good breakdown cover. Fiat supplied jack and tools are pitiful.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Ok I have my serious head on now.

I have a tool bag with a wide variety of tools in it. Every time I do job on the van the tools for that job stay in the bag. From time to time I do tidy it up and put stuff away I think I will have no need for.

In the main cordless drill, selection of bits including screw driver bits. Decent socket set with breaker bar, ratchet and elbow, hammer, screw drivers, electric tape, spare wire and fuses etc.

Of course tyre change kit and oil, coolant and grease, some plumbers mate in case of leaks and a couple of handy multi tools.

Finally a ranger of torches and work lights

But bear in mind I have a 15yo home made van conversion.. in my car I just have an rac card and washer bottle top up.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And I will add that in our 8 years on the road I've used every tool for myself or sometimes to help others.
I did not put, set of spanners and BIG adjustable, micro screwdrivers ( computers ). Never carried a drill but borrowed one once to rebuild a wing mirror and nice French person removed in the Gorges du Verdon, this also needed some very thick copper wire and lasted a year.

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
I have bought a spare wheel and Tyre these new vans dont have them I can change a wheel quicker than messing about with the liquid driving a few kms and checking and reduced speed. Been told once you put the liquid in a trye it cant or tyre shops wont repair them?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Of course the main thing to remember is that no matter what you hve with you, the tool you need for the urgent job will be at home.. take what you can and what you think of and make sure you have decent breakdown cover.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Whiskey!

It's a great problem solver

Or with my serious head on

Much the same as other serious responses
plus an OBD2 diagnostic code reader.
It might sound over the top but it's sorted out my engine management problems a couple of times and it has saved me being conned by one garage into having a new egr valve fitted. It has also helped out a few other folks we've met along the road and for the £15 or so that it's cost it's been well worth the money

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Breakdown cover and a list of dealers / workshops for where ever we are.

More seriously just a basic tool kit (adjustable spanner, a hammer. multi-head screwdriver) plus two sets of spare bulbs (cab and van) and lots of fuses. Duct tape..... also I have a basic sewing kit which is my "break down" kit. :)

If the job is likely to need more tools that that it's the breakdown service.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
1/2" sock set probably 100+ piece:)
1/4",3/8" sock set.
trolley jack
10T bottle jack.
oil filters
diesel filters.
hoses , all sizes jubilee clips.
tool box with everything in including ball joint breakers !
Another toolbox full of electrical equipment. fuses, relays, switches, lights,marker lights, bulbs, tape , multimeters, rolls of wire, wiper blades, spare brake pads, track rod ends, vee belts; complete cam belt kit .
Another toolcase with complete sets of hand tools.
battery drill ,spare batteries, chargers, multiple extension leads
:Djust mountains of stuff.+ lots I've forgotten It occupies ALL of the only available internal storage plus under both front seats. :Eeek:
I can rebuild it on the road side .:giggler:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I take the wife. (y) In case of a breakdown, I stand her 50' behind the truck, wearing her favourite dress. Approaching drivers see her, and think that a terrible accident has occurred, involving a Kilverts Lard Lorry, and a carnival float, making them slow to a crawl. (y)(y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
what you carry depends on your skill levels realy no point carrying lots of tools if you don't know what to do with them
personally i carry to much but essentials for me is
set of spanners
socket set
stanley knife
junior hack saw
screwdriver with multiple bits
12 and 240 testers
big and small shifting spanner
hammer
duct tape fuses jubilee clips electrical tape odds and sods of plumbing and gas fittings, a few screws and some wire

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back