Essential spares (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I tend to travel with a bag of tricks which should enable me to cobble together a jury rigged solution to many problems. However, it seems to me that a spare water pump and gas regulator are pretty essential. On top of gas and water supply, I guess that refrigeration is fundamental. What is the key spare I should carry for a standard Dometic fridge?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
An old tyre inner tube cut into strips can solve many problems. some gaffa tape,
lengths of wire. fuses. selection of jubilee clips to name but a few.

Obvious one, good set of tools

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
A few bottles of cold dry white wine.
If the fridge breaks down then you have to drink them before they get warm.

You wont care less about the fridge by then !!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Have been thinking about a spare water pump & regulator myself but no decision yet so open to ideas.
As for the toolbox contents I've found WD40 & amalgamating tape are useful.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have survived for 9 months without a fridge as a fulltimer. When I have needed to get/keep something cold usually beer I buy a bag of ice cubes from the nearest supermarket. So far 3 times and always beer...
Packet and tinned food are your lifesavers here....

I do carry a spare water pump and regulator though. I carry a great many spares and alternate options for most things but those two I would consider the critical ones.

I can't think of another thing that is as important as those two spares to be honest.

Kettle breaks I have a pan,
I have two sinks so the other will do,
Fresh water tank splits I have two 5 Litre bottles,
Toilet breaks I have a 5 litre bottle and plastic bags,
Cooker breaks I have a camping stove...

Hmmm, just gone through the important stuff. Sleep, coffee, toilet, heating and water..... On the technology front I have backups for my backups but that is how I earn my keep.

You have me on the fridge spare though to be fair :winky:

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Questions about these spares...

When you say water pumps do you mean the one in the habitation? Are they a common failure?

When you say regulator do you mean the one on top of the gas bottle? Same question, are these a common failure?

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I carry a spare water pump and regulator and always have a couple of rolls of electrical insulating tape. Amazing what you can repair with tape to give you a temporary repair.
On our trip to spain this year I had to change both water pump and regulator so I suppose I should get replacements at some point otherwise "sods law" will apply.:RollEyes:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
On our trip to spain this year I had to change both water pump and regulator so I suppose [HI]I should get replacements at some point [/HI]otherwise "sods law" will apply.:RollEyes:

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.:Doh:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
On our trip to spain this year I had to change both water pump and regulator so I suppose [HI]I should get replacements at some point [/HI]otherwise "sods law" will apply.:RollEyes:

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.:Doh:

mighty wise words Yoda! :notworthy:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
General;

Spare fuses, bulbs, in line fuse holder, water pump, tap washer/head if you have the plastic type, self tapping screws, aerial extension, maps, chargers for phones electrical tape and first aid kit.

Clear gaffa tape - with do a temp repair if you break any plastics, be that body or window or get a leak until you get home.

If going out of your area or abroad, go online before hand and research the local repairers/outdoor suppliers.

Breakdown;

Triangle / road flares if you want to show off! Tarpaulin (offers something to kneel/lay on, shelter from rain/wind or sun for the party whilst waiting for recovery) Hi Viz jackets for all members - only a pound or two each and keeps them safe. Decent wheel brace and TWO bottle jacks with suitable wooden chocks for tyre changing. Engine oil and keep a water container full. Emergency phone charger (battery type) Numbers of recovery company/policy. If involved in an accident - use your phone to take photos - try to catch the other vehicles number plate, and discretely 'catch' the occupants in the picture.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies - I do carry pretty much everything that has been suggested including beer and wine. Could I just revisit the original post regarding the key bit for the fridge? What is it? :Smile::Smile::Smile:

edit - it's the burner bit for operating on gas. What is it properly called?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back