Essential list for the newbie (1 Viewer)

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi guys

We take delivery of our new MH next month and we are beginning to look at the kit we will need for our first night away with the kids...

What do you recommend .. bare in mind that we have absolutely nothing so far.

Thanks
Anthony

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
Toilet chemicals.....or bio clothes washing liquid....for your loo

We stocked up on paper plates to keep washing up to a minimum and take lots of rolls of kitchen paper towels.....give your plates/pans a good wipe before washing up reduces the amount of gunk going into your grey tank (less whiffs that way)

Remember to take your manuals with you so you have the instructions for all the gadgets and gizmos

Also, really useful to have a roll or two of the cheap rubber gauze stuff (pound shops sell it) to stop stuff sliding around in cupboards and/or to pack between items that rattle....cut it up into pieces of the right size. Don't forget the scissors to cut it with

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anthony496

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Toilet chemicals.....or bio clothes washing liquid....for your loo

We stocked up on paper plates to keep washing up to a minimum and take lots of rolls of kitchen paper towels.....give your plates/pans a good wipe before washing up reduces the amount of gunk going into your grey tank (less whiffs that way)

Remember to take your manuals with you so you have the instructions for all the gadgets and gizmos

Thank you for this what toilet chemicals do you recommend... I have no idea where to start!

When we hired they used to give us little balls of chemicals we threw two in the cassette when it was emptied then that was it! Where do we get them? Is it better to put a fluid in ?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thank you for this what toilet chemicals do you recommend... I have no idea where to start!

Just any blue toilet chemical. The Thetford one is easier to find but is expensive. Elsan blue is cheaper.

You can also use cheap bio washing liquid or you can use nothing at all and just make sure you empty it every day.

It's another thing that comes down to personal preference. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
I tried bio washing liquid which many people on here use and are happy with but I had to empty our cassette at home because the site we stayed at for our 'test' night didn't have facilities and it smelled reeeeallllyyy bad!

Second trip, I used Thetford Blue - 2 night trip this time - absolutely no nasty niffs.

It cost ÂŁ12 for 15 doses so less than ÂŁ1 per full tank.....I can live with that!

Will be trying Elsan as well because it's cheaper than Thetford, hope it's as good

There are a few toilet discussions on this forum....it is probably the most popular subject hahahaha!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anthony496

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just any blue toilet chemical. The Thetford one is easier to find but is expensive. Elsan blue is cheaper.

You can also use cheap bio washing liquid or you can use nothing at all and just make sure you empty it every day.

It's another thing that comes down to personal preference. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong.

Again thanks, have never bought this I have no idea at all. Ordering some elsan blue for it. We had a rule in the hire home no number 2s unless absolutely nessissary! I think this will roll over to ours as well!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Again thanks, have never bought this I have no idea at all. Ordering some elsan blue for it. We had a rule in the hire homes no number 2s unless absolutely nessissary! I think this will roll over to ours as well!

On Thursday we're off to a music festival with the two of us and three fifteen year old rugby players. The toilet rules are:

1. Take care of your own sliders.

2. If the light comes on when you use it, you have to empty it.

There are paper "potty liners" you can buy that should eliminate rule 1 but we haven't got round to getting any yet.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
As a good starting point..

10m fresh water hose ?
5m grey water?
20m electric hook up?
Don't bother with a grey hose and this is what I use for fresh, but 15 or 20 mts so you can get around the van and roof when you want to clean it :)

I use this one Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Again thanks, have never bought this I have no idea at all. Ordering some elsan blue for it. We had a rule in the hire home no number 2s unless absolutely nessissary! I think this will roll over to ours as well!
Nahhhh, use these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Happy-Bow...ilet-Liners-/371320663081?hash=item56746fac29

Why spend ÂŁ1000's to have a home and go use the public loos :Eeek:

Lots of threads on here over the question of pooing in the motorhome, 90% do, it's what at it's designed for after all :)

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

When we hired they used to give us little balls of chemicals we threw two in the cassette when it was emptied then that was it! Where do we get them? Is it better to put a fluid in ?

I use these, already measured out. These look expensive, but shop around and you'll get them much cheaper :)

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anthony496

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
... and the people following you onto that pitch will just LOVE you for that! (soggy, smelly ... it is, after all, your WASTE water). I wouldn't want it on a pitch I'm going to use; I wouldn't do it. Maybe I'm the odd one here?
I know some CL's are happy for you to dump the grey water in the hedge, which would require a bucket or hose, but still potential for an unpleasant smell.
I agree with the above post put in a bucket then dispose of it properly.
Not worse than going on a smelly pitch when the sun comes out.
Or having a front wheel drive and sinking and getting stuck.

Upvote 0

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
ooh forgot the hose pipe !!!! our first outing was only 10kms the second 25kms finding our own way round the MH and what works for us.. so far so good BUT I need either to find a larger loo or a smaller bum all other aspects are a matter of adapt and overcome, enjoy the benefits and forget the minor negatives this my wifey and I find is helped along the way by a good dose of your alcohol of choice .... CHEERS ALL !!!

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as they say above. and do not forget your sense of humour. and you can not fail. have fun . FUNSTER.(y) :devil:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anthony496

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Lol thanks everyone

Have already begun buying things on the list! Have moved the delivery date forward to mid September now as we can't wait anymore!!

Anthony

Upvote 0

jimlagos

Free Member
Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
My main things that I found by accident are the hosepipe that everyone mentioned, but make sure that the hose doesn't make the water smell/taste plasticky, i.e especially for potable water. The other very useful device, if you have room, is a watering can, as getting the hosepipe out then drying it can be a pain. Using a watering can is so useful if you only want to put in a little water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anthony496

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
My main things that I found by accident are the hosepipe that everyone mentioned, but make sure that the hose doesn't make the water smell/taste plasticky, i.e especially for potable water. The other very useful device, if you have room, is a watering can, as getting the hosepipe out then drying it can be a pain. Using a watering can is so useful if you only want to put in a little water.

Thanks Jim, will look at the food grade hoses and get a decent watering can!

Upvote 0

Bobtbadger

Free Member
Nov 5, 2012
Dunstable
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, TAG Axle
Exp
Since 2011
Cable ties of assorted sizes are my no.1 accessory and make sure you have a range of fuses that are used around your van too.

Upvote 0

jimlagos

Free Member
Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
My sons work on nuclear power stations. They reckon that the most important/useful things they carry is gaffer tape.
"It's like The Force, it has a dark side and a light side, and holds the universe together"

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you are buying from a dealer no need to buy a hook up cable, that must be supplied by the dealer.. if it is not present, ask for it..

IEE regulations; Caravan
Every caravan which includes an electrical installation must be provided with a flexible lead not more than 25 m long fitted with a BS EN 60309-2 plug and a BS EN 60309-2 connector with the keyway at position 6h.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anthony496

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you are buying from a dealer no need to buy a hook up cable, that must be supplied by the dealer.. if it is not present, ask for it..

IEE regulations; Caravan
Every caravan which includes an electrical installation must be provided with a flexible lead not more than 25 m long fitted with a BS EN 60309-2 plug and a BS EN 60309-2 connector with the keyway at position 6h.

Thanks Scot ! Didn't know that

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back