RonnieA

Free Member
Mar 16, 2018
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-T 580 4x4
Exp
While awaiting delivery of my first motorhome I've been compiling a list of things I'll need to get. The usual things like EHU cable, water hose, etc. As a newbie there's bound to be things I just don't think about so my question is what item do you have in your motorhome that you couldn't do without and I'm very likely not to have thought of?

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
I love
I'd rather gouge my eyes out than have that. Bear in mind, I have actually tried it and I don't like it whatsoever. There's a lot of things I really like and a few things I don't and Marmite is definitely one thing I don't. It's not as though I've not tried and have an opinion, I have and I am speaking from experience
I love Marmite (as does my son) so I bought him marmite flavoured chocolate..made us both feel sick..still makes me shudder just thinking about it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
In your tool kit, apart from Duct Tape and WD40, some Jubilee clips are a good idea. I had a hose blow off our engine in France, and after waiting 12 hours for a recovery vehicle, I found the problem and fixed it with a Jubilee clip I had in my toolbox.

I drink tank water but put it through a Brita filter first. The jug and filter weigh very little and live in the fridge door.

I leave the silver screens at home in the summer months.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I love

I love Marmite (as does my son) so I bought him marmite flavoured chocolate..made us both feel sick..still makes me shudder just thinking about it
images (20)_1.jpg

Upvote 0

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK2000
Exp
3 years on a STEEP learning curve
Marmite has one use in a Moho situation:. Giving the pesky seagulls something to think about.

A decent set of ramps. We tried the milenco quads but they are way too big. The triples suit us fine. Also two cheap bottle jack's to use as steadies. See you on the road.

Upvote 0

Daniel-J

Free Member
Feb 19, 2020
Adelaide
Funster No
MH
COLEMAN LIGHT LX 285
Exp
I've been driving since 2019.
Alcohol and computer with good internet :)

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
The problem with paper plates between the crockery is they don’t have any stickiness!
I bought grippy mat and cut shapes for the plates, bowls etc. nothing moves now!
We use paper plates for sandwiches etc.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
The problem with paper plates between the crockery is they don’t have any stickiness!
I bought grippy mat and cut shapes for the plates, bowls etc. nothing moves now!
We use paper plates for sandwiches etc.
Ah...my plates are in upright racks so don't move much.I slot the paper plates inbetween stops any smashes and no noise.

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Hi RonnieA,

We picked up our first MH about the same time as you, and have had a few trips away, we've leaned a few tricks and picked up a few tips, as I'm sure you have.

Water.... It seems best to travel with minimum water on board as long as you know you can get it where you going, but don't run completely empty as things change.
EHU (electrical hook up) is subjective, its not always as easy as it should be, and may or may not be included in the pitch cost, so check before hand.
No EHU isn't a big issue, as long as the leisure battery is good, but a camping lantern is a must, just incase.
Everything rattles, until you work out how to stop it, we now have a saucepan set that stacks within itself, (3 pans) with a single removable handle, and expanded foam packaging between each pan. They then sit below the cooker with a frying pan and the grill pan all wrapped in expanded foam.

Plates are in a Tupperware type box and again packed in expanded foam.

knives and folks etc in a draw with a foam insert above.

Fridge/freezer packed with tight fitting Tupperware type boxes and bottle retainers.

Ice cubes in freezer vacuum sealed and again in Tupperware type boxes.

Fresh water in 4 x 1.5l bottles, in a tight fitting rack under the sink, and packed in by towels and tea towels.

Overhead lockers again, Tupperware type boxes and packed out with foam inserts etc

wardrobes, hanging clothes on hangers retained by velcro wraps.

Oven shelves, separated from racks by foam packaging, and transit warning labels on cooker knobs reminding you to remove packaging before lighting oven (also on gas tank valves)

20 Litre fresh tank stowed in shower with Whale pump in case no access to water on site.

crook lock on steering wheel when on site and key stored in under bench safe with a big label stating pre- drive checklist (this is just me being over cautious)

Rear stabilisers handle looped through steering wheel so you don't forget the raise them before driving away

Most importantly, beer and white wine in fridge, red wine in foot locker, Gin and tonic, and a swiss army knife in glove box.

We have twin beds and they are behind the galley and in front of the bathroom so a bunny cord to stop the mattress moving to block the door between the galley and the bathroom for SWMBO when overfilling with wine is essential

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
Most important. Measure your van. Don’t just believe the brochure. Print out a card with length and height and width. Laminate it and fix it above the drivers view of the road,

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Pilote P600
Exp
Since 2018
"The problem with paper plates between the crockery is they don’t have any stickiness!
We use paper plates for sandwiches etc.'

I bought a set of 50p per item crockery from IKEA, plates, side plates, breakfast dishes etc and took a handful of the foam inserts which are brilliant for putting in-between them when travelling . Free, light, non slip and no rattles. Must get some more inserts for packing other things.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Most important. Measure your van. Don’t just believe the brochure. Print out a card with length and height and width. Laminate it and fix it above the drivers view of the road,
And print it in metric, feet and inches and inches total because if you print one the bridge height will be shown in the other ?

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
First thing I got for my new van was a Vanbitz Growler alarm system and Non starter, just so i know it will still be where I left it!! Now saving for a B2B Charger and an inverter for a coffee machine?
Oh and some crocs proper ones and some Aldi rubber clogs £4.99 (brilliant for going to the facilities)?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back