RonnieA

Free Member
Mar 16, 2018
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-T 580 4x4
Exp
While awaiting delivery of my first motorhome I've been compiling a list of things I'll need to get. The usual things like EHU cable, water hose, etc. As a newbie there's bound to be things I just don't think about so my question is what item do you have in your motorhome that you couldn't do without and I'm very likely not to have thought of?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
EHU cables, short and long. water filler hose of food grade to avoid poisoning plus a heos water connector to attach hose to the filler and save standing there holding the hose for 15 minutes. a quality 10ltr watering can for top ups when not near the tap
low wattage kettle
bottle opener
can opener
corkscrew
silver screens
a quality rechargeable torch

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Karcher Window Vac
Tyre Pal Pressure Monitor
Toolkit
Tow Rope
Tyre repair kit - it might work
Torch
Levelling ramps
Grip mats
12v socket USB adapters - lots as they wander off
USB phone leads - lots
Phone mounts for dashboard - his and hers
Road Atlas
12v Adapter for Laptop/iPad
Long and short EHU cable
Cable reel
Slippers for inside van
Waterproof shoes for outside
Full set of clothes and underwear for going away
Full set of coats and waterproofs for keeping in van
Long and short hose
Lots of click fit hose connectors - every possible combination male and female with a tap
Storage boxes for cupboards
Storage boxes for garage
Outside chairs
Outside table

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Keep it simple and don't go overboard with stuff. Use the MH for a couple of small trips weekend type trips first to understand what you will and importantly will not be doing with your toy. What is an essential bit of kit for one person will be useless for another. What you want and need to carry might also depend on storage space and payload.

Essential for your first trip, in no particular order:
Bedding
Plates, glasses, cutlery
Pots / Frying Pan and implements even for your initial breakfast fry up or pasta dish
beer / wine / gin :drinks:
washing up liquid / dishcloth / tea towel, kitchen paper roll, wet wipes
Personal toiletries and towel
Loo Roll and something to reduce the whiff from the toilet cassette (at the risk of not starting another toilet thread much beloved of certain Funsters, I'll let you search for previous recommendations to avoid the enviromentaly unfreindly chemicals)
Folding chairs for sitting outside if the weather permits
Really simple tools just to tighten something - couple of screwdrivers, adjustable spanner and perhaps a multimeter (you won't do major fixes on the short trip as you'll be back to your dealer, but if you find something loose), torch, and perhaps some fuses (too easy to trip something while you experiment
EHU Lead - start with one the dealer may have to supply it to you - 25 m will often be too long but too long is better than too short, and you can always get a shorter one later
Hose with tap adaptor. 10m should be sufficient to start and depending on your vehicle holding it in the tank for the first time or two isnt a problem.
Watering can - use to top up your water tank when it's too much hassle to get your hose out (collapsible versions available
Bucket - for emptying excess grey water when you can't get near a service point. (collapsible versions available)
Clothes - fair weather and rough
Couple of carrier bags (all sorts of opportunities to stash stuff away whilst you work out what to do with it)
BBQ (gas or charcoal) fuel and utensils
Cleaning cloths, squeegee type mop (inevitably if you use the shower, water won't drain away fully so you'll want to encourage it)
Charging leads / cables for your phones / tablets and maybe adaptors / splitters for 12v sockets to USB or similar, depends on what capabilities your MH has.
All your MH owners manuals for the vehicle and all the toys on it - you'll be studying them controls and settings all evening
Music - CD / MP3 or whatever will work for your MH. DVDs if you have a compatible TV.
Dustpan & brush
Smartphone - preloaded with your navigation app (does anybody still use an A-Z?), plenty of battery power and data allowance - you'll probably be googling a lot of "how to" stuff

Longer term you can worry about levelling ramps, grip mats, tow ropes, jump leads, and that sort of stuff, initially just be choosy where you park up that you are on reasonably sound ground.
Storage boxes, reels and such like wait till you know what you are carrying and where you want to put them - I bought stuff and it doesn't fit so don't rush into that.
Later you can decide on the gadjets that might make your life easier like phone mounts, dash cam, hand held vacum cleaners, but wait till you've used your MH and realise you would use it.

And finally, pack your sense of humour. You've got your van to have fun and adventures, and learning it's little foibles is part of that experience.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Paper plates to put under stacked pans and in between plates..
Rolls of that open wove rubber stuff to line cupboard bottoms..you can get it from pound shops or home and bargain..(someone will be along to tell you/me what it is called)
Any medication you need..
don't forget your sense of humour..and enjoy

Upvote 0

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
We bought way too much stuff that we didn’t really need when we got our MH so the key thing I wouldn’t want to be without is bungee straps, lots and lots of bungee straps to hold all the stuff we needn’t have bought down in the garage.

Oh yes, and just purchased a Nespresso machine cos coffee is always a good start to any day.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As others have said start witht he minimum as you will find otherwise after a season or 2 you have loads of stuff youve carried around paid for etc and never used.
Some of the stuff some have already mentioned as essentials is stuff we have never carried (like a watering can!!! we don't garden in the MH)

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I've just put all the excellent recommended stuff in my little PVC, problem is now It's full all the cupboards all the floor space the passenger seat and stair wells both sides. I have so many weather proof clothes that the bathroom is full so can't get to the loo or use the shower. storage boxes are covering the floor and the bed is piles high with very important stuff.
Problem I CAN'T get in
So emptied it all out
I have tea bags, kettle. water and milk.
Maybe I have taken out a little too much out now...…...:unsure:

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Not seen much mention of drinking water

Do you just use what comes out of the MH tap then or carry a container?

We carry a Jerry can style one with a tap on for drinks etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I know the OP probably meant loose items, but if they intend to do muchoff-grid camping I would recommend a Battery-to-battery charger, either Sterling or Victron.

There is a thread on them with videos from Charles Sterling so I will let him explain.

Geoff

Upvote 0

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
We
Not seen much mention of drinking water

Do you just use what comes out of the MH tap then or carry a container?

We carry a Jerry can style one with a tap on for drinks etc.
We buy the big bottles of water (not sure if 5l or 2.5l) if we want drinking water but most of the time we use what is in the MH tap for boiling (tea, etc), showed, washing, cooking, etc, etc.

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I am sure this has all been said.
Rubber mesh for the bottom of cupboards
Gaffa tape
Toolkit

Also remember, microwave dish and trolley will fit nicely in the pouches in the back of your captains chairs!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Are the matches for setting fire to the maps

The maps are to give she-who-is-the-navigator something to do on the journey. She knits too, excellent multi-tasking skills.

Matches for when the piezo igniter on the gas hob goes inop. Or more often to give to a tent camper who forgot to bring theirs.

And another tip - rubber bands. They stop jars and cans rattling against each other.

HTH :giggle:

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Not read through, but my one essential is a folding step, i am a short a**e and it gets used more than just about everything else in the van.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We never drink the tank water, instead we buy five litres bottled water. I'm a nurse and I have an over developed fear of nasties in the tank.

We bought an electric kettle and a toaster for the MH but they now live at home. We have an ordinary kettle that boils on the gas hob and a toaster and a sandwich maker that you use on the gas hob. We don't have anything electrical, not even a microwave.

We have two watering cans instead of a hose and different attachments.

We have a drain hose for those times we're on an all facilities pitch.

We have an inverter for my toothbrush and my electric blanket.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back