LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Thinking of having diesel heating fitted to van.
Anyone any comments on either please?
Ta

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Both good Sue. For the extra cost think about the duel top which gives constant hot water as well as heating. Costs coppers to run and diesel is available everywhere. A bottle of gas will last months if you have the duel top.

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
theres a guy in Southampton does Mikuni diesel heaters. cant remember his name just now. But he also does a cheaper Chinese version. I had one fitted to my old Rapido A series as additional heating. Brilliant bit of kit and never gave a moments bother,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

xyz

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Funster No
Exp
Awhile
I have both! (on boats)

Comparing build quality Eberspacher wins for me and amongst the boating fraternity they are more highly regarded for continuous long term usage. Webasto, less so. Both need regular servicing (simples for both mine)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
"any comments!"

YES..
Dont park next to me if you get it fitted....
They can be noisy and I know you like to have a sauna in your van..... :xwink:

:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Can anyone pass on any links to these please and possible costs and re Tonkas post what's the noise situation like.
Ta

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We had a eberspacher wet heater. Fantastic heat output. Downsides are need good battery to start as it draws 8 or 10 amps on starting and shutting down. If parked close neighbours will hear it. Not a problem in winter but in summer if wanting hot water they will hear it and smell it. On start up and shut down there is a whiff of unburnt diesel . On a car park type aire it can be awkward...... Having said that great bit of kit. If you are mechanically minded webasto dual are often available new on ebay at good prices as they are fitted to many diesel cars BUT take care as they often speak"canbus" to car ecu and may not work with standard thermostat etc.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Both good heaters although if I were having one I'd go for Erbaspacher, seems to be the most popular as we did a lot of research a few years back for a project we were considering.
However they are bloody noisy for anyone parked near you. We parked next to 2 on separate occasions last year, 1 in Croatia and 1 at a music festival both came on about 5am ish bloody hell we thought there was a jet taking off the noise was incredible.:xsurprised: We actually moved at the music festival as we were there for 4 days.xroll:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Sue from our many years narrowboat experience, the most popular make used on the cut were Eberspächer. However, the exhaust from them can be very hot, so much so, that a boat moored adjacent to the stern of our boat burnt through our rope fenders. The other boats Eberspächer exhaust was level with the fender hanging off the back of our boat.

If you want a little ride out, from your present bolt hole, then one of the main UK distributors for vehicle diesel heaters is only a short drive away. Im sure they will be able to advise you in terms of which make/model to suit your Hymer.

https://www.butlertechnik.com/vehicle-heater-kits-c1

P.S. One other thing which is slightly different on the cut was that if your diesel was for domestic heating/hot water, it attracted a different VAT rating to that used for propulsion of the vessel.

PPS Eberspächer will be at the London Boat Show in January (6th to 15th)

Last edited:

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I had an Eberspacher on my narrowboat. Fitted it myself including the necessary silencer and no noise problem. I also have an ebber in my motorhome that has an electricity option and again, the diesel side of it has a silencer so no problem. Must admit to most often using it on electricity when on EHU, heat and hot water available separately.

Dave

Edit: The one in the van is an Eberspacher Combitronic

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our new evo 8 Dualtop is nice and quiet on diesel and has the benefit of the leccy option

If your diesel heater stinks on startup, the chances are it needs a burner change.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
We had a dual top evo fitted on the burstner. Good economical heater. This was an upgrade as the original went Pete tong.

We used it for 6 weeks in Beni last year and didn't even get through a 13 kg gas bottle.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Fitted a combitronic hot water and blown air system into a self build.. it's heater is an eberspacher hydronic unit..
It's been running trouble free for around 5 years... one main service
Which on reflection was unnecessary... it was clean when I pulled it apart..
can't deny it's a noisy heater (that's with so called scilincers fitted to exhaust and inlet ) on start up but once the temperature builds up and it starts to cycle it runs a much more quietly.
The blown air heater like the airtronic are far less noisy.. and if it's just heating you want that's the sort of unit I'd fit..
Andy

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We have a webasto which was fitted to the van when we got it. A little noisy compared to gas but makes a toasty van for pennies..

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Our Webasto was noisy on initial start up, so I got into the habit of turning it on before leaving home and off when we got back. It's a central heating system with automatic controls.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back