Esp and ASR - worthwhile on motor homes? (1 Viewer)

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Hi
Looking for some of your thoughts. We are on the verge of buying a brand new 17 regarding Pilote Sensation P740GJ - the current spec does not have ESP and ASR. The new, to be released 2018 model, will include both ESP and ASR on the GB essentials pack. Is it worth waiting, ordering it and not enjoying it til March next year and paying the extra for this? Or buying next week the 2017 model without these inventions? We do travel quite a lot through the winter over the snow covered Picos range and the Estrala range in Portugal - it got a bit scary earlier this year with our brand new tyres losing grip. We also got stuck in the mud on site as we dug down further and further into the mud. Would ESP and ASR be an advantage - or superfluous on a 'van'? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as we're spending a lot of hard earned dosh!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not sure if ESP would be an advantage on a Motorhome our ones have always had it as Hymer fit them as standard but never been aware of it working.
More imortant I would have thought is ARS the latest version includes Traction Plus, now we have needed that a few times, very useful.

OP
OP
F

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Know what you mean - that's my way of thinking too! It's just the addition of these, I believe, is a good driving safety enhancement. I think all cars since 2014 have had to have this built in, so it sounds like it's worth waiting for. Buy it's nearly another year!

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Are you sure? I believe that the Pilote Sensation P740GJ comes on a Fiat Ducato base chassis and Fiat introduced ESP and ASR as standard items in April 2013. Traction + was an option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It'll be a good bargaining exercise that it hasn't got them on a out going model...(y)

Haggle away......:D2

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I inadvertently used ASR over the weekend o_O I got stuck in 2-3" of mud on a farm pitch. ASR allowed me to reverse back far enough into the mud to get a good position for a forward drive out of the pitch and mud (ASR still engaging). I know from previous experience my non ASR Pugeot (same tyres etc) would not have been able to do that!

The other thing I used today was the FIAT speed limiter, I forgot my Garmin so was using google earth with no speed warnings so I had my speed limiter set for 30 mph which I usually engage as soon as we get into a town or city. I did so as we were going through a few small towns and ran into a speed detector van in a very open stretch of road where it would have been easy to gravitate above 30 mph (hence why the van was there:() So not for the first time my speed limiter has made sure no speeding points (y) Definitely worth having and using (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back