Erberspacher, leisure or starter battery. (1 Viewer)

Wal

Free Member
Jan 29, 2017
North east Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
july 2012
Hello, Just wondering what your thoughts were ref. to connecting the heater to the Starter or leisure battery, after stripping my van out for a bit of a refurb, (which i bought last year), I re did all the electrics to my standards and noticed the heater runs off the starter battery, I have 1 leisure battery with split charge at the mo, but considering adding another. Or would i be better off keeping it as is. going to replace the starter battery which is a 75ah cos I think its getting on a bit... Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hiya Wal, welcome to the Fun house!

AFAIK it is normally the leisure battery that the diesel heating is run from, not the starter battery.

What size is your leisure battery?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
It really down to were the diesel heater is fitted, on start up they take quite a few amps so it pays to have the shortest cable runs from the battery, It's no good running from the leisure battery if the voltage drop won't allow the heater to fire up,
mine is run from the Cab battery as it is the closest but the cab battery has its own solar and i can connect the leisure battery bank to it if necessary,

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Eberspachers take a few amps to start and shut down. I like to think the van will always start so would keep all "camping amps" on the leisure battery.
Welcome aboard!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The starting up current can be quite a draw on the battery so, as mentioned, the closer battery is probably the one to prefer. I'm not sure if the supply can be separated to allow the controller and fan to be run from another, but that may be worth investigation.

OP
OP
Wal

Wal

Free Member
Jan 29, 2017
North east Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
july 2012
Thanks for ya input folks, leisure battery it is then, and mine is closer to the heater than the starter battery. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back