Equifax data hack - Are you a victim? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Are you one of the near 700,000 UK residents who lost personal data when the USA arm of Equifax was hacked?

Did you know that Equifax was holding your data and that some of it was held outside of the EU and the control of our data privacy laws / regulations?

So far, by way of compensation, Equifax is offering free access to most of their services to help you monitor any further breach and / or illegal use of the information they lost. Does that seem reasonable to you? If so will you trust them with more of your data so that they can "help"?

The breach was in May 2017, but only now are those affected being told and only recently has the FCA begun an enquiry. Is this acceptable?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Jeez, another one. This is ridiculous. I don't recall asking Equifax to hold my personal data.

I tend to assume that the hackers already have all my personal data from multiple insecure organisations. As does GCHQ, Google, FB and all the rest of the digital spies. I read somewhere that they have at least 4000 "data points" on each of us from a variety of sources including social media, loyalty cards etc, which they sell on.

Being bland and insignificant is probably the best defence unless you go totally off-grid. Unfortunately, lack of social media use arouses suspicion that you might be up to no good or even a terror threat ... apparently. :cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I’m rather worried about the huge amount of personal information I have shared with you on Motorhome Fun:

CBE9AFC1-CE0F-4DF8-AA83-0B379CB04BD7.jpeg

As long as you promise not to disclose my username to SWMBO, I may get away with it :)

Nov 16, 2012
Hedge End
Funster No
MH
Bilbo's Nexa
Exp
Since 2012
We got letters today, and we are furious!

The letter talks about a "recent" cyberattack - but, as the OP says, it was months ago! The whole letter was very offhand - the people whose data has been stolen have to take steps to check they haven't been compromised as the company will do precisely nothing!

Disgraceful that people's personal data is so vulnerable, and that a company that holds so much data cares so little.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Uber have been hacked to!!!!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I have received the Equifax letter telling me that my CC card details have been compromised, but CC statements tell a different story in that they are all OK. I am yet undecided on whether to contact Equifax and perform the tasks they have asked for, or just change the CC card.
If my account has been hacked which I doubt, then do I need to do anything?
My CC stopped working recently as it was presumed the Chip or magnetic strip had been damaged, so having contacted the CC provider, a new one was sent out, with a new expiry date and new codes for activation. So need I do anything more? The CC provider didnt mention that the card account had been shut down for any reason, they just issued me with a new one.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I had this letter too. Coincidentally my credit card was defrauded as well. Lots of money tried to be taken but the bank spotted most of it.
I didn't know I had even used this Equifax lot.
Phil

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I had this letter too. Coincidentally my credit card was defrauded as well. Lots of money tried to be taken but the bank spotted most of it.
I didn't know I had even used this Equifax lot.
Phil

I doubt whether you did. I certainly did not, but they are a credit reference agency that keeps information on virtually everyone. If you applied for [say] home insurance or some form of loan even just went to buy a car, or motorhome, or washing machine with your credit card, the seller will do a credit check and one or more credit reference agencies will give them a report.

They seem to know most things about most people and are supposed to keep the info secure but the UK part shared some info with the US arm and they leaked. God bless America.

As I understand it some Americans also lost data but they are being handsomely compensated. In the UK the FCA has just got around to launching an investigation and UK citizens are being offered the chance of giving Equifax even more info so that they can give you 1-2 years "protection / alerts" if they fined your info, that they leaked, is being misused. Of course, why would you not have the utmost faith in them to provide such security.

Deleted User
I received the letter, however, as noted above, will not give them even more information for them to lose at some future date. So far no issues, believe it was home address and email address that was hacked, no bank details.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back