EP levelling system - advice please (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Ah! ok, I think it may be to do with the age of the system, in that not all automation may be the same.
On our van (3 months old) as soon as I hit the button to bring the jacks back up, the compressor kicks in to fill the bags.
Stewart, mine which are 2015 do the same as yours. I think it needs to be clear that the full air suspension requires care for several reasons one of which you highlighted and using the manual process which will in some circumstances provide a lower height of level, the relationship to the air suspension is lost. So the air gets evacuated whether by the auto EP integration or by manual parking the VB, but the bags only get air in them during/after jack deployment with the full auto EP level. Well that's what I have found.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
I’m looking forward to getting our levelling system fitted in 6 days time at Micks in Doncaster then I can have some fun playing on our steep drive.

John.
John ,we are looking at getting a pvc van ,if you don’t mind me asking what would the cost be to have the levelling system,fully understand if you don’t wish to say (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@Rob Hammond no problem. The total cost to supply and fit an E&P kit to your 2017 FD Globecar, including remote control, waterproof box, 3 years free E&P servicing, VAT and a two year manufacturer warranty is £4,781.00.

John.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
@Rob Hammond no problem. The total cost to supply and fit an E&P kit to your 2017 FD Globecar, including remote control, waterproof box, 3 years free E&P servicing, VAT and a two year manufacturer warranty is £4,781.00.

John.
Many thanks John for the information,gives me food for thought :D

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC

Interesting!

And thanks for sharing (y)

Anyone know how much the HPC offering from AS Air Suspension costs?

And/or what the key differences between the two systems might be?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Ah! ok, I think it may be to do with the age of the system, in that not all automation may be the same.
On our van (3 months old) as soon as I hit the button to bring the jacks back up, the compressor kicks in to fill the bags.

I'm not sure if it's to do with the age of the system or the way it has been set up. My van is also 3 months old but as I said in the previous post I was advised not to have the automation of the V&B and E&P tied together due to the large overhang at the rear. The Morelo has also been lowered more so than most to allow easier loading and unloading of the car from the garage. It was thought best that the rear be lowered manually whilst being observed, you never know on uneven ground. It may be the case that the automation between the two systems has changed given that their appears to be a difference in operation between 2015 and 2017. To confuse things even more, I have a factory fitted mode by Morelo which is activated by a switch on the dashboard to allow me to load and unload the car. Activation of the button raises the front of the van to max and lowers the rear to min to allow the car to roll out of the garage. Once the suspension is in the right position you receive a green LED on the dash and a green LED in the garage. Only once this LED is lit can you operated the remote winch control. Without the LED being on and the van being in the right position you cannot operate the winch and remove the car. I have no idea how it is tied into the V&B system and would have though programming perhaps the Parked function to have sufficed.

We are all learning and like most things motorhome related they all seem to have a slight difference.

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
I'm not sure if it's to do with the age of the system or the way it has been set up. My van is also 3 months old but as I said in the previous post I was advised not to have the automation of the V&B and E&P tied together due to the large overhang at the rear. The Morelo has also been lowered more so than most to allow easier loading and unloading of the car from the garage. It was thought best that the rear be lowered manually whilst being observed, you never know on uneven ground. It may be the case that the automation between the two systems has changed given that their appears to be a difference in operation between 2015 and 2017. To confuse things even more, I have a factory fitted mode by Morelo which is activated by a switch on the dashboard to allow me to load and unload the car. Activation of the button raises the front of the van to max and lowers the rear to min to allow the car to roll out of the garage. Once the suspension is in the right position you receive a green LED on the dash and a green LED in the garage. Only once this LED is lit can you operated the remote winch control. Without the LED being on and the van being in the right position you cannot operate the winch and remove the car. I have no idea how it is tied into the V&B system and would have though programming perhaps the Parked function to have sufficed.

We are all learning and like most things motorhome related they all seem to have a slight difference.

Yes!!!! your car, I had forgotten about that, so it is bound to be set up diffrent than say my concorde with just a garage at the back.
And you are right if you look at it Morelo,Concorde, N+B ect are all custom made need to have a system to suite, its not going to be a one size fits all.
Got me thinking now, I have a friend who has a 12 ton, 12m Concorde liner with a car in the back, wonder what his system is??
Probably just has a man!!!!!!!:D:D(y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Let's be clear, I do not do untruths....I was quoting what I was told by the leading UK expert, SAP Doncaster. If you read again the issue is with the re deployment of the jacks, as in when the jacks are being brought back up and my understanding is said automation interface is for deployment only not redeployment.
I should also point out that we are all here trying to help each other enjoy the hobby and explain and share what we know. Sharp critical responses like above are in my opinion counter productive to the ethos of the forum.
I am also quoting what Mick from SAP told me.
The interface drops the air suspension and deals with the whole job no manual intervention is required.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am also quoting what Mick from SAP told me.
The interface drops the air suspension and deals with the whole job no manual intervention is required.
I can believe that your system and a system on a large MH with car garage need to work in a different way, the only other Morelo that I know of with VB and E&P is indeed linked so that the suspension drops first but it is NOT a car garage model.

Martin

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I don't have the system but logic suggests that, even under the worst circumstances, at optimum level and height at least one wheel should remain on the ground and be carrying weight.

When the van is diagonally across the slope (the worst possible levelling situation) and the slope is steep enough only the wheel furthest up the slope would be on the ground.

Oh, OK. I thought you were saying that in any situation, even the most difficult, one wheel should stay on the ground to weightbear. In other words that all four jacks can't hold the weight of the vehicle without one wheel being in contact with the ground.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Oh, OK. I thought you were saying that in any situation, even the most difficult, one wheel should stay on the ground to weightbear. In other words that all four jacks can't hold the weight of the vehicle without one wheel being in contact with the ground.
No - l was responding to earlier comments. I know the jacks can lift the vehicle clear of the ground when needed but simply for levelling there should never be any need.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think you’ll find that every fitting situation is slightly different we only have VB air on the rear to help with the weight of a car trailer and when deploying the jacks I always empty the air bags the reason I can do this is that the AL-KO suspension is still on the van and this does not allow air bags to become trapped or pinched, as I can see in a full air fitting this would not be the case.
We’ve had the system for over two years now and regularly have wheels off the ground without any problems and when on site for extended stays as well,when at home I have to use two concrete blocks under the front rams as my drive is very steep.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
£4950, We enquired a short while ago and had a demonstration last week when there to have the Alko semi air fitted, which is great, lighter than the VB system.
I've had demonstrations of both levelling systems and I would definitely go for the HPC, lighter and better control panel, but for the fact that the pump assembly gets housed in the van, in a locker or garage using up space.
SAP house the EP pump assembly in a waterproof box under the vehicle out of the way, saving space, if not weight.
If we decide to go for a levelling system (lot of money and we've managed without so far) at the moment it would be the EP just because of the neater, space saving installation, though if AS did the same with the pump housing underneath I'd definitely go for the HPC.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
It'll be interesting how things pan out noe E&P have been aquired by ALKO?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Prices will increase 5 to 8% as haven't gone up in years. They will want to see a return on their investment.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have the system and often have wheels off ground.Tyre fitter last week fitted new tyre with the legs as his jack not powerfull enough (supports used for h&s ) .On a aire in France this weeks heavy winds we were stable.Two french vans moved in middle of night to hide from wind behind us !

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have the system and often have wheels off ground.Tyre fitter last week fitted new tyre with the legs as his jack not powerfull enough (supports used for h&s ) .On a aire in France this weeks heavy winds we were stable.Two french vans moved in middle of night to hide from wind behind us !

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
IMG_20180103_085018.jpg

TerryDunlea

Free Member
Oct 20, 2014
Rhyl
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Been Towing Caravans for Years , now have a nice Burstner .
Hi all Funsters ! Most of the previous posts have covered nearly all of the concerns re self levelling systems . It would be My advice to deflate any air bags , if fitted , then proceed to level the Motorhome , preferably in manual mode . Once level , observe if any wheels are off the ground , if so raise the chassis a little further , and place pad or pads under the subject wheels . Lower the chassis again until level . This will result in a much more stable and safer position , especially on Al Ko chassis .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi all Funsters ! Most of the previous posts have covered nearly all of the concerns re self levelling systems . It would be My advice to deflate any air bags , if fitted , then proceed to level the Motorhome , preferably in manual mode . Once level , observe if any wheels are off the ground , if so raise the chassis a little further , and place pad or pads under the subject wheels . Lower the chassis again until level . This will result in a much more stable and safer position , especially on Al Ko chassis .
I can't really see how the wheels on the ground are going to aid stability if you have taken all the air out of the bags, I do let some out if the slope is severe but I would leave the downhill ones inflated.

Martin

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Interesting!

And thanks for sharing (y)

And/or what the key differences between the two systems might be?

£4950, We enquired a short while ago and had a demonstration last week when there to have the Alko semi air fitted, which is great, lighter than the VB system.
I've had demonstrations of both levelling systems and I would definitely go for the HPC, lighter and better control panel, but for the fact that the pump assembly gets housed in the van, in a locker or garage using up space.
SAP house the EP pump assembly in a waterproof box under the vehicle out of the way, saving space, if not weight.
If we decide to go for a levelling system (lot of money and we've managed without so far) at the moment it would be the EP just because of the neater, space saving installation, though if AS did the same with the pump housing underneath I'd definitely go for the HPC.
We had the HPC system fitted in 2015 and have been more than happy with it ... as has been said HPC is slightly lighter in weight and I felt a more modern design. The pump fits very well under a bed and is readilly accessible for maintenance and if required to pump manually.
The system was fitted near Warrington by AS Airsuspension ... at that time they were unable to fit the Bluetooth setup so it can be operated from my smart phone so we called in to the factory in The Netherlands where this was added in less than an hour.

We also have the AS Airsuspension fitted on the rear, this being our third m/h with which we have had their system so they must be doing something right.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I’ve just returned from collecting my pride and joy from AS Airsuspension after having the HPC system installed.

They have done a fantastic job with the installation, taking pride in their work and carrying out the installation as though it were their own MH. After having the rear air assist fitted by them last year, I knew that I could rely on them for the more expensive upgrade of levellers.

I had an under slung gas tank fitted at the same time to free up the space in the gas locker for the pump. I can also now fit a shelf above the pump and therefore, I consider that I’ve gained additional storage space rather than lose it.

At present HPC are including the Bluetooth option in with the standard price of the system, so an added bonus.

The rams look very substantial, the spreader plates are a good size and reported to spread the load well on softer ground. The control panel looks modern and intuitive to use, not that I intend using it very often as the app replicates all options available. The pump is compact and accessible for all maintenance matters when required.

I’ve only been demonstrated the system and had a little play once home but looking forward to using the system when we get away later this month.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I'm a previous AS customer having had the air fitted a couple of years ago and like you say @Hellski they are a great family-run team that go over and above (y)

My only worry with the HPC kit is that I'm not sure where the pump could go inside the van (n)

But! I'm sure they could come up with something!

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
My EP jacks are only manually adjustable going 'up' and all have to come down, is this normal or as above are some adjustable to lower two at a time ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My EP jacks are only manually adjustable going 'up' and all have to come down, is this normal or as above are some adjustable to lower two at a time ?
They should have both "auto" and "manual" mode when the jacks are going down (van going up) but just the one mode to retract the jacks.

Martin

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
They should have both "auto" and "manual" mode when the jacks are going down (van going up) but just the one mode to retract the jacks.

Martin
That's what I meant Martin, going up as in the vehicle, always get that wrong way. So can't see how previous post can manually lower chassis until level.
Have had my front wheels quite high off ground and it can look a bit alarming (as well as higher to step up:)) have wondered in extreme cases to run up ramps and the put blocks down to level jacks.
My rear air when fitted had on the invoice in capital letters to LOWER FIRST BEFORE DEPLOYING JACKS, but no mention about quickly inflating whilst jacks retracting as has been mentioned. I would have thought it would just be if air and jacks working in conjunction as some have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back