EP levelling system - advice please (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting, is there a set pressure that you lower the suspension to?

Pete
I find that dropping ours from just over 3 bar to around 1.5 or 2 bar takes the rear quite low enough, I think they say 0.5 bar minimum.

Quite often the E&P jacks and VB air suspension are interlinked and it does it all automatically.

Martin

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Don’t have E+P levelling, just sleep on a bit of a tilt when necessary, but I would imagine the not having all wheels off the ground is a safety thing isn’t it? In case you have a hydraulic leak and squish who ever is clinging to the underside of your chassis!

I will refrain from the going down on me puns though!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I have parked with both front wheels clear of the ground loads of times.
IMG_2644.jpg

Now I have had E&P full air added the two systems are linked. When I press the 'auto' button it dumps the air and drops the level of the van, then the jacks deploy to level it. The van is usually much lower than before so don't need to 'dangle the Dunlops' quite so much.

Richard.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Another great benefit of E&P levellers ( other makes are available..) is that when deployed the van does not rock and roll when moving around inside it... especially useful if you have a large overhang on the rear.

(y)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Another great benefit of E&P levellers ( other makes are available..) is that when deployed the van does not rock and roll when moving around inside it... especially useful if you have a large overhang on the rear.

(y)

Is this still the case if some (or all) of the wheels are touching the floor?

I take it there is no rocking when entering and exiting the vehicle either?

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

(y)
Much more stable in high winds too.
Buffeted by high side winds at Cite Europe a few nights ago and the van was quite steady. We both slept well.

Richard.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
I have parked with both front wheels clear of the ground loads of times.
View attachment 205183
Now I have had E&P full air added the two systems are linked. When I press the 'auto' button it dumps the air and drops the level of the van, then the jacks deploy to level it. The van is usually much lower than before so don't need to 'dangle the Dunlops' quite so much.

Richard.
Do you have some sort of spreader plates underneath to stop them sinking?

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Do you have some sort of spreader plates underneath to stop them sinking?
No, never had a problem.
The feet are quite large and it would need to be very soft ground for them to sink. If it was that soft the tyres would be sinking in too and you wouldn't drive on to it.

Richard.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Interesting, is there a set pressure that you lower the suspension to?

Pete

Pete, My V&B system is completely automated, you have no direct control over pressure. The control module allows you to carry out various activities like "Parking" this lowers the vehicle to lowest position to allow you to load the vehicle and make it easier to get in and out. There is "Off Road" which does the opposite to give maximum ground clearance and "Tank Empty" which tilts the van to allow the easier flow of waste out of the drain. There re also another few functions, but you get the drift.

One tip I was given with regard to using the V&B and E&P in conjunction with each other is when you have the V&B to the lowest level i.e. bellows empty, before you start to lower the E&P always start to raise the V&B to ensure you have air in the bellows to prevent you pulling a vacuum and bursting the bellow.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I would set the leveling manually to minimise the hight the tyres are dangling.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I would set the leveling manually to minimise the hight the tyres are dangling.

Not sure why you'd level manually. The system does it for you and only raises the vehicle up to the height needed to make it level. Doing it manually would end up the same height.

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
One tip I was given with regard to using the V&B and E&P in conjunction with each other is when you have the V&B to the lowest level i.e. bellows empty, before you start to lower the E&P always start to raise the V&B to ensure you have air in the bellows to prevent you pulling a vacuum and bursting the bellow.

I think ours does this on auto, when the air comes out and the jacks go down and is level, it pumps more air in to the bellows.
Or am I barking up the wrong tree:)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not sure why you'd level manually. The system does it for you and only raises the vehicle up to the height needed to make it level. Doing it manually would end up the same height.
I find that manual level will always be lower than auto, and you have to use this option if the slope is too great.

Martin

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

The interface box between the 2 systems fully automates dropping the suspension and leveling so that is untrue.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We usually use manual as it is possible to level at a lower height. The reason being in auto the system has to load all jacks to find a starting point this in turn lifts the van 25-30mm before the auto levels I would assume all EP are the same.
PS. we do not have air suspension.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
That is what happens with ours, I like to jump out, press the buttion and watch the show start.
Yes I know its sad but I cant help it.:D:D:)

SNAP!! We’re all big kids at heart I love to hear the air hissing out of the suspension before the show starts, I don’t ever want to grow up :clap2:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We usually use manual as it is possible to level at a lower height. The reason being in auto the system has to load all jacks to find a starting point this in turn lifts the van 25-30mm before the auto levels I would assume all EP are the same.
PS. we do not have air suspension.
We had ours reprogrammed with the latest software, it now levels a lot lower

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Another question....

Do you get out of the vehicle when levelling? We stay in but keep still - is this right?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't have the system but logic suggests that, even under the worst circumstances, at optimum level and height at least one wheel should remain on the ground and be carrying weight.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Another question....

Do you get out of the vehicle when levelling? We stay in but keep still - is this right?

Its a good idea to get out and check where the levellers will land.
I parked up one time and would have been half on a kerb. Could have caused some expensive damage.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I don't have the system but logic suggests that, even under the worst circumstances, at optimum level and height at least one wheel should remain on the ground and be carrying weight.

I don't think that's correct... why one wheel?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I was told by SAP that manually would give me an extra 2-3 cms play.
Good when can't level up automatically.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, sorry I meant that we go out and put the spreader plates down under the jacks, then go inside. We've only had this trip in this vehicle and the weather has either been sub zero or howling gales and torrential rain - had it been warm we'd have been more inclined to be outside! :D

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
The interface box between the 2 systems fully automates dropping the suspension and leveling so that is untrue.

Let's be clear, I do not do untruths....I was quoting what I was told by the leading UK expert, SAP Doncaster. If you read again the issue is with the re deployment of the jacks, as in when the jacks are being brought back up and my understanding is said automation interface is for deployment only not redeployment.
I should also point out that we are all here trying to help each other enjoy the hobby and explain and share what we know. Sharp critical responses like above are in my opinion counter productive to the ethos of the forum.

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
Let's be clear, I do not do untruths....I was quoting what I was told by the leading UK expert, SAP Doncaster. If you read again the issue is with the re deployment of the jacks, as in when the jacks are being brought back up and my understanding is said automation interface is for deployment only not redeployment.

Ah! ok, I think it may be to do with the age of the system, in that not all automation may be the same.
On our van (3 months old) as soon as I hit the button to bring the jacks back up, the compressor kicks in to fill the bags.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you were parked 45 deg across a steep slope you would still have one wheel touching, if you parked across or up/down the same slope you would have two wheels touching unless it was very very steep and jacks behind rear wheels at the high side of the slope.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When the van is diagonally across the slope (the worst possible levelling situation) and the slope is steep enough only the wheel furthest up the slope would be on the ground.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back