Environmentally Friendly Toilet Additives (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Keeping up the recent 'poo' threads I have found a few notes on alternative additives that some might find interesting............(debate to follow?)

Principally it would appear that Sodium Percarbonate is safe, efficient, cheap and environmentally for use in toilet cassettes and septic tanks......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

http://www.exploroz.com/Members/56825.125/10/2011/Toilet_chemicals_and_alternatives.aspx

http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1391&hilit=napisan

I'm going to try this using pure Sodium Percarbonate........:thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I rarely use anything..
Have some bio tablets from Aldi that I putin now and again, mainly when we get home and the van is parked...

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
More than a few on here and on other forums recommend the cheapest clothes bio washing liquid you can buy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
But the Bio washing liquids are not environmentally friendly and can not be put in septic tanks. Actually the Bio stuff are very harmful to septic tanks.

I want to use something that has minimal impact on the planet. Yes I know I can use nothing at all (might still do that) but the Sodium Percarbonate does seem like a good (less stinky) idea........

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Couldn't open the links on my ipad as wifi weak in garden, what is a brand name for Sodium Percarbonate please. I like the sound of this, but will I like the smell??

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Couldn't open the links on my ipad as wifi weak in garden, what is a brand name for Sodium Percarbonate please. I like the sound of this, but will I like the smell??

Here is a link to a supplier on Ebay that I found....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1KG-Sodium-Percarbonate-Pure-Coated-Oxygen-Cleaner-Bleach-Clean-Decking-Floors-/221233276862?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item338287e7be

Or you can use Napisan, but it is a little more aggressive to the environment

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you don't need to add anything with a cassette toilet, you only open the trap for the flush job done

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We use water and let the [HI]"highway slosh"[/HI] do the rest

[HI]New dance??
[/HI]
I have been given some samples of a WALEX product called "Porta-Pak deodorizer and waste digester".
They are small blue sachet thingys you drop into the waste tank.
They claim unbeatable odour prevention, are biodegradable and formaldehyde free.
I like the price, so I'll try them.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Keeping up the recent 'poo' threads I have found a few notes on alternative additives that some might find interesting............(debate to follow?)

Principally it would appear that Sodium Percarbonate is safe, efficient, cheap and environmentally for use in toilet cassettes and septic tanks......

I'm going to try this using pure Sodium Percarbonate........:thumb:

Sodium Percarbonate is essentially an oxygen based bleach. (found in Napisan, etc.)
It is an oxidising agent, so be sure not to mix it with combustible materials, you may have a fire.
A fire would be doubtful in use, given that there will also be liquid involved, but be aware for storing the stuff.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i wonder how sodium percarbonate will take to going up mountains . certainly might make for exploding toilets . enough trouble folk have with out having an oxygen additive .
have to remember to just crack the flap i should think.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Didn't think you were supposed to use bleach products in the cassette toilets, I'm sure it is stated in the instructions that it can harm the plastics used,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back