Envirolet composting toilets - the ideal solution? (1 Viewer)

Greg Ledder

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
Funster No
We have been thinking about getting one of these fantastic toilets for our houseboat.
They are used in many applications where sanitation can be a problem and apparently they are also used in RV's and would seem to be the ideal solution to the problem of having to empty waste tanks as they only have to be emptied every 6-12 months and what comes out is only a small amount of garden compost!!

The only problem I can see is that they can be bulkier than a standard toilet but there are quite a few different models - well worth a look and I personally will be looking into installing one in our RV (when we finally get one!).
I would be interested to know your views on the subject.:Smile:
Hopefully the link below will take you there but if not just google 'Envirolet' and you should get all the info you need.

Envirolet Composting Toilets EUROPE | Systems

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the ideal solution to the problem of having to empty waste tanks as they only have to be emptied every 6-12 months and what comes out is only a small amount of garden compost!!

Hi Greg

It's worth thinking about but in 2 years fulltiming I've never had any real problem emptying the black tank, ours lasts 2 - 3 weeks with three of us using it, so I can't see any real benefit, that combined with the high initial cost, ( £2k - £3k ) bulk and weight of the unit wouldn't endear me to fitting one..

If however you were considering wild (free) camping for more than a few weeks at a time then it may prove beneficial .. however, in that period you would need to find a source of fresh water and a suitable place to dump the grey so I can see no practical benefit..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It could be great, and imagine being able to grow your own tomatoes on route::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

Greg Ledder

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
Funster No
Hi Greg

It's worth thinking about but in 2 years fulltiming I've never had any real problem emptying the black tank, ours lasts 2 - 3 weeks with three of us using it, so I can't see any real benefit, that combined with the high initial cost, ( £2k - £3k ) bulk and weight of the unit wouldn't endear me to fitting one..

If however you were considering wild (free) camping for more than a few weeks at a time then it may prove beneficial .. however, in that period you would need to find a source of fresh water and a suitable place to dump the grey so I can see no practical benefit..

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your post! I take your point about the initial cost though I do know it could be done closer to £1000 if I fitted it myself though it would be expensive to have it fitted professionally - would it not be more environmentally friendly than emptying Black waste tanks and carrying all that waste around in a tank must affect fuel consumption in some way?
Not having used an RV yet I'm not sure about this point so I might be talking out of my butt!

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would seriously doubt that a system could be fitted in the RV that would cope with the 5 of us , we fill a large black tank in 3 or4 days! I will have a read of the website though as it looks very environmentally friendly, and if you live in a house off the mains as we do then it might be worth investigating. Mind you I suppose we could get into the compost business, but who would buy if they knew where it came from::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

Greg Ledder

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
Funster No
I would seriously doubt that a system could be fitted in the RV that would cope with the 5 of us , we fill a large black tank in 3 or4 days! I will have a read of the website though as it looks very environmentally friendly, and if you live in a house off the mains as we do then it might be worth investigating. Mind you I suppose we could get into the compost business, but who would buy if they knew where it came from::bigsmile:

If I remember rightly,there is one model that will cope with six people on a daily basis.....might be worth a look.:Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The Eco strem caravan on the club stand had one fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back