Entry procedure (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2019
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar tessoro 463
Exp
Since 2019
We have had our new motorhome for a couple of months, and had 6 trips. Each trip it has been chucking it down with rain, so we’ve never bothered deploying the wind out awning.
So here is the question-what is your procedure for entering the motorhome when it’s chucking it down with rain....challenge of removing foot wear, where do you store your soaking wet foot wear, not walking mud into the new shiny motorhome. All of this when you have a wife and a child you are trying to keep dry and happy.

any ideas or experiences shared would be most welcome.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
We have a folding storage crate, everything wet goes in that then push it underneath the van. Also use it to take the washing up to the ablution block wash the lot. Saves space. Use Cheap Crock’s

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Take the carpets out then it's easy to wipe the floor, or do what we did made loose fit carpets from Marvel Mats and throw them in the washing machine after a trip.
We bought our Motorhome to use so thats what do, not going to take my shoes off every time I go in it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
not going to take my shoes off every time I go in it.
You would if coming in to ours Lenny. ;)

Ewor. As suggested above, machine washable rubber or plastic backed loose mats just inside the door, where everyone can come in out of the rain, and take off there wet/muddy shoes.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We have had our new motorhome for a couple of months, and had 6 trips. Each trip it has been chucking it down with rain, so we’ve never bothered deploying the wind out awning.
So here is the question-what is your procedure for entering the motorhome when it’s chucking it down with rain....challenge of removing foot wear, where do you store your soaking wet foot wear, not walking mud into the new shiny motorhome. All of this when you have a wife and a child you are trying to keep dry and happy.

any ideas or experiences shared would be most welcome.
No carpets in our van, but having dogs it becomes an exercise in quick drying, luckily both of them love a rub down and have been known to try and get into the towel that the other is being dried with! Doesn't matter if the floor gets a bit mucky, a wipe with a wet cloth or use a brush later, wet coats hung up in the shower and wet boots/shoes into a box under the bed.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Brolly in door helps, large mat and towels, big shower to hang wet stuff in.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we place 2 dogs towels on the floor immediately inside the door 9 assuming there is a large risk of getting wet when we go out ; 1 for the dog and 1 for us to stand on as we get in the van.

plastic mat in the shower to put wet boots on and IKEA suction hangers on the shower wall for wet jackets; put towels in reusable plastic bag ready for drying.

put the coffee on :xThumb:

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
During light rain we extend the awning by approx half a metre and attach the poles to clips on the side of the van. This gives some protection on entry to get wet clothing off and stored. Although we have fitted carpets, a small loose matt at entry helps getting muddy shoes off. We avoid having carpets in the cab so that provides another access point for sorting muddy footware.

In warmer climes, when it's raining, we leave the hab door open, protected by the partially extended awning.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We bought our Motorhome to use so thats what we do, not going to take my shoes off every time I go in it.
Me neither. It's only mud, not engine oil or paint and it brushes off when dry. Wet clothing is hung in the shower. I don't see the m/h as an investment or an asset so I'm not concerned with trying to protect its resale value any more than I would my dish washer, my lawn mower, or my car or motorbikes. It's just a tool; transport for adventures. When I change it it'll be worth whatever it will be worth. What's the worst that can happen to it..........?
Each trip it has been chucking it down with rain, so we’ve never bothered deploying the wind out awning.

Simple answer: You should bother, even just halfway out. It only takes 30 seconds. You're going to get wet anyway when you go out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Try a turtle mat. They soak up water and mud like blotting paper, dry quickly and you can pop them into the washing machine when you get back home If you’re really bothered about the mud.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Lots of tips here . We took out the loose carpet and used it as a template for a cheap industrial carpet. Now have a laminate floor with the original carpet and the cheap stuff on top . Warm , spongy , dog proof and dumpable

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Old towel on the floor, enter one at a time, Mum first.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
We always remove the supplied fitted carpets and store in the loft at home ready to replace if and when we sell.

We use 2 long Marvel type rubber packed mats and a further one in the doorway.

They are machine washable when dirty.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Loose mats are easy to dry-off and clean later. Wet clothing goes into the shower, where we have hooks across the ceiling.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I replace all carpets with the rubber-backed cotton (Turtle?) stuff. I buy big enough mats so I can cut to fit. It's available in a few different colours and is available 'second-hand'. The A grade 2nd hand is like new only a third of the price. With three dogs & two humans it's essential. Take a couple of steps into the van & feet are dry.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We don’t remove shoes before entering - too much of a faff.

We have carpets but took the kitchen carpet out as the flooring is easier to keep clean there. We have a turtle mat runner at the entrance and leave a towel and a Ruff and Tumble dog coat nearby for our dog as he’s the main culprit for mud spreading!

OP
OP
Ewor
Sep 3, 2019
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar tessoro 463
Exp
Since 2019
We now have a turtle mat for inside and an AstroTurf mat for outside.

Thanks for all the advice!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back