LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Please could someone invent a fuse that bleeps continually when it has blown, so that I know that it has gone and don't keep going with the whatever until the point where damage is done. Thank you.

(My fuses are not all in the same place and I am fed up with them already.)

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Please could someone invent a fuse that bleeps continually when it has blown, so that I know that it has gone and don't keep going with the whatever until the point where damage is done. Thank you.

Always said you were a fuse short of a full board Joy:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:Thanks both of you ...... but I would still like a bleeper so I could find it to change it..... :Sad:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you have fuses blowing all the time sounds like you may have some mouse damage, chewed wires. Rather than keep replacing fuses get the system electrically tested for short circuits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Long story, Brian.... but put as succinctly as a blonde can do that doesn't even know the meaning ......:winky: the fuse had gone from the leisure batteries to the little box with red and green lights on ... (the one that leads to something to do with the battery master.)

This lot is under the seat in the lounge area, not with the fuse box and the rest of the fuses under the front passenger seat. The fuse had gone and it took someone else who is good with car engines etc to find it because I would never have had a clue..... sooooooooooo

if blown fuses bleeped when they go, then I would have looked there straight away and put a new one in. It wouldn't have solved the complete problem but would have been one problem solved as I am now wondering all the time if the fuses have blown again and my van battery not charging from the solar ... leisure batteries ... battery master thingies .... I hope you understood all that.:Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ive seen indicator fuses that light up and others that pop up a little tag to show they have blown but the size of fuses in a motorhome would make these impossible to fit

replacing the fuseboard with one with led indicators is possible but expensive if you cant do it yourself. if you have the skills to change the board you would not need the indicator though

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Use your frustration to rattle out a tune with a pan and wooden spoon!

Hi Dazzlin, I'll just make the coffee whilst you and the rest of them make sweet music...... Looking forward to the next session.:Smile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Long story, Brian.... but put as succinctly as a blonde can do that doesn't even know the meaning ......:winky: the fuse had gone from the leisure batteries to the little box with red and green lights on ... (the one that leads to something to do with the battery master.)

This lot is under the seat in the lounge area, not with the fuse box and the rest of the fuses under the front passenger seat. The fuse had gone and it took someone else who is good with car engines etc to find it because I would never have had a clue..... sooooooooooo

if blown fuses bleeped when they go, then I would have looked there straight away and put a new one in. It wouldn't have solved the complete problem but would have been one problem solved as I am now wondering all the time if the fuses have blown again and my van battery not charging from the solar ... leisure batteries ... battery master thingies .... I hope you understood all that.:Sad:
nope:Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if blown fuses bleeped when they go, then I would have looked there straight away and put a new one in.

Can't fault that logic. But due to small size near impossible to make.

MHs are the pits electrically, a bit from FIAT, a bit from Burstner ( very good bit ), a bit from Uncle Tom Cobbley. If they were properly engineered in the first place a display would tell you what had blown and what to do. Which is pretty much what CANBUS is all about, everything in control of a computer.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I've replaced all mine with the LED type. Not had one go yet but it will make life easier when one does.

Wyn

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Would a LED when blown do:

Broken Link Removed

I have these in my van
I had made a sim thing many many moons ago using blade fuses with a led bridged across so when the fuse blows the led lights up::bigsmile:
I just use the resettable blade fuses now when they trip u get a little green flag/reset button pop up

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Can't fault that logic. But due to small size near impossible to make.

MHs are the pits electrically, a bit from FIAT, a bit from Burstner ( very good bit ), a bit from Uncle Tom Cobbley. If they were properly engineered in the first place a display would tell you what had blown and what to do. Which is pretty much what CANBUS is all about, everything in control of a computer.
the full canbuc systems are fantastic systems the plant machines i work on run full canbus, but when they go wrong its a pain, like full canbus cars everything single thing is ecu control when u press the horn u are asking permission from the ecu to please can u sound the horn lol sometimes keep it simple stupid is the way to go

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Once the fuse has blown you can't keep going or do any damage. :Confused:

You can buy fuses with an LED that lights when they fail.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Joy I am coming to your rescue. I have a new invention. Please don't tell the others. It consists of cut up 6" nails to replace the fuses. The Beauty is they never blow and when you see smoke rising you know where the fault is. If you have a paypal account I can let you have some at the knock down price of £4.99 each.:thumb:
Graham

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
keep it simple stupid is the way to go

Certainly.

The trouble being is how do you define simple.

Sat in a design office designing a control system CANBUS is simple and elegant. Just a few wires and every node is controlled and monitored to perfection.

Out in a dirty wet plant on a dark night with a gale blowing that same CANBUS is seen in a totally different light.

But the design offices are stuffed with graduates told to make it efficient but cheap so the good old days of tonnes of wire are gone.

I have 12 lights in the house remotely controlled by X10 which is quite similar to CANBUS but cruder. It won't be that long before CANBUS type houses. Great fun when they work.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Certainly.

Sat in a design office designing a control system CANBUS is simple and elegant. Just a few wires and every node is controlled and monitored to perfection.

Out in a dirty wet plant on a dark night with a gale blowing that same CANBUS is seen in a totally different light.

But the design offices are stuffed with graduates told to make it efficient but cheap so the good old days of tonnes of wire are gone.

I have 12 lights in the house remotely controlled by X10 which is quite similar to CANBUS but cruder. It won't be that long before CANBUS type houses. Great fun when they work.

In time for the smart meters to be installed in every household so the govt monitoring centre can interface with the CANBUS to identify exactly what you are using on the mains in your property ???:Eeek:

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Certainly.

you 100% right its a simple system from a design point of view less cables etc... clever things like on my vectra the rear lights use the same bulbs for fogs tail lights and brake lights just alters the power for the correct brightness and if a brake light bulb fails it uses a tail light instead for a brake light by upping the power to get brake light brightness all very clever, less cables less chance of bad connection etc... but when the canbus system fails due water ingress bad connections etc... the whole lot goes down. I think for certain applications simple and independant is good

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back