Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'd have tapped on his window and asked him to get the kettle on then, being as he was having so much fun laughing at me, it's the least you can do mate! with a huge grin, of course!

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Its got to be awnings and tv arials, they keeep me happy for hours. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Its not a caravan thing by the way. Most of the tuggers on sites come across to me as being far more friendly than MH'ers.

Maybe MH'ers are far more up themselves.

Jim
:winky:

Try pulling up and pitching next to a tugger in a 34 ft american Rv,We went to burnham on sea cc site and our next door neighbours moved the next morning,No we were nt taking their sunshine,did nt run the genny or air con units,no noise etc,
I had a quiet chat with the site warden who said they did'nt like being parked next to 'that monstrosity' and demanded to move,
When we had pitched up I spoke to my neighbour who totally blanked me,I put it down to ignorance and remarked to my wife would nt it be funny if they moved and they DID !!!!!!!!!.
The warden said it was their choice to move and not to worry as we had done nothing wrong,the couple in the motor home opposite thought it was hillerious so it just goes to show that caravanners go green with envey !!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

John Pengers.

19teal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I was one of those setting up a dish which first day gave up after 3 hours.We had just had the Camus crank up fitted and could not wait to see it working again , the installer had it working right away.Finally got it working with the compass showing NORTH?. I had to go at least 10 ft away from van to get a correct reading. Next was the angle, our Autotrail has a sloping roof so what might be 9 turns on the crank can be 10/11 on ours , then there is the ground slope to take in.. Only once have i had a signal right away , one of the problems is the Sky + box which takes longer to find the signal ( there is a delay).:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Col447

Free Member
Aug 24, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Waiting for delivery !!!!
Exp
3rd M/H
Best entertainment is always the awning..........
A few years ago I worked on the awnings department of a well known caravan dealer.
Saturday
0900 hrs a phone call from a customer who had got his awning from us. Demanding a full refund as the awning would not go up properly and it was hanging in all the pegging points.
I said take some pictures and we will see what the problem looks like.
1000 hrs irate customer:Angry: comes in with the awning in a shopping trolly with frame just dumped in. Some shouting took place about the state off the awning drawning attention to himself. Calling us all the names under the sun for selling a useless awning..........
He had drawn quite an audience by then and I asked for the photos that he had taken on his phone.....
I looked and saw that he had zipped the front pannels into the sides and the sides into the front.............:Doh: When I explaned what he had done he didn't even appologise for his outburst but then started to complain about the lack of instruction with the awning much to the amusement of the crowd who had gathered......
Eventualy he went with his tail between his legs, don't you just luv the know it all tuggers.
Col:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Ive camped since I was a kid, tents, VW's (the one true camper) and now a Kontitki. I dont do campsites very often but if I do or I am on an Aire, or CL I try and make an effort to speak to fellow campers around me. I might not want them to be my best new mates but I will go and talk to them. I dont care if they are camping in a cardboard box we are all doing the same thing just in different camping abodes.

I do wonder what the deal is with awnings though. When you have loads of space in a MH or caravan why do you need to extend it? Looks like another uncessary bit of kit to get in the way of the first cold one to me!

:Smile:BD

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Barry, there handy for a cig break when its raining. Lol.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
and for kids to eat in rather than spill stuff inside the van, and so the dog can move freely between the van and awning without being tethered, not to mention that signal for lappy is better in the awning than the van

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Barry, there handy for a cig break when its raining. Lol.

A good point as I am a smoker. Banned in the house, MH, car (except my car). Seems a bit excesive to build a canvas house around your van just to have a fag and anyway Mrs D would just ban smoking in the awning! Ive even considered taking my roll out fiamma awning thingy off the van as its 45KG I dont need but we have used it occasionally when its been very hot for a bit of shade but not that often. I think when Im in the van I hit new levels in lazyness. Cant be bothered with anything other than parking up and getting a beer out of the fridge

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Good job the camp site were on was nearly empty or they would have had a scream looking at hubby trying all day to get a signal on the dish on a tripod, he tried it in every position back,front,side of van and gave up then the next day did the same thing but finally admitted defeat and said that the hedges about 20 yards away were to blame as the signal couldnt get to the dish so blamed the meter he has was at fault, we bought a new meter and watched terrible analogue tv for a week until it came and then found out that the meter had failed, if he had taken the meter off he would have found the signal which he DID find about a week later when we went back to the same site, what a laugh that was!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Till recently, we've always camped, getting it to where we could load the Mondeo with tent -admittedly 4-man for the 2 of us - plus Cadac, stove, loo, etc, 2 folding bikes and inflateable canoe, and head off to Europe for six weeks or more. We decided to start practising last year for when we start get into the early dawn of approaching late middle-age by getting the van.

But getting back on thread, one great moment a few years back was when our neighbour on a favourite campsite down by the Spanish border tried to back his huge Motorhome with his wife's help. (I should add he was the police chief in a large German city.)

He backed it right into a tree, with her frantically yelling and waving to stop him. Now I speak enough German to get my face slapped, but learnt some new words, culled straight from the GeheimStaatspolizei book. She'd trained at the same school....

Anyway, there they were yelling at one another,, with a very bent back end (of the van) and half the Frog population thinking 'happy days are here again".

Very nice people, genuinely, except for that incident, but years later, I fear an unintended micturition moment coming on!! Screentime!!!

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
And now for something completely different, but still under this heading:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=139594

Go to this site, and after the jet bike, scroll down for the jet car! Frank Whittle, eat your heart out!

Fantastic!! Do you think I can convert my Peugeot Scooter to do that? It would look really cool showing off on the Aires on our France trip at Easter. Mind you with all those highly inflamable Motorhomes it might not go down to well.

:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Awnings

Many years ago, when we were (spit) tuggers (cough). We tugged up to Jedburgh late on a Friday night.

It was pouring with rain and once on the campsite we proceeded to put out the awning.

Next morning we found that, in the dark and rain, we hads a perfectly erected awning, but inside out.

We didnt stay long........::bigsmile:

buellster

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
Exp
:thumb: On a site in Italy couple of years ago, stepped out of the van with morning coffee for the wife and a bloke from the neighbouring van to find both having a good laugh.
They pointed out a youngish guy (British) two rows back trying to fold one of those self erecting tents which were quite new at the time.
Every time he attempted to fold it into the bag it poped back up. This went on for a good half hour before he bounced it off the ground in a rage then got into his car and drove off.
He returned sometime later with one of the site staff, another half hour of the tent being folded then springing back into shape, the site guy gave up and walked off.
By this time he's in a right bad fettle and the wife's telling me not to go over because he looks violent.
I couldn't resist so over I went offering help with my 20+ years of camping experience. We eventually got it 3/4 into the flat bag then had a chat.
It turned out that he booked into a nice hotel on the previous night to impress his girlfriend and ended up with an 800 euro bill, which put a dent in his holiday cash resulting in him buying the tent, air and sleeping bags.
He was a canny bloke though even managing a joke about the air bed, he jumped on, girlfriend hits the tent roof, oh the joys of camping. :Smile:

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
I do wonder what the deal is with awnings though. When you have loads of space in a MH or caravan why do you need to extend it? Looks like another uncessary bit of kit to get in the way of the first cold one to me!

:Smile:BD

But why would you want to sit inside a metal box when it's around 30 degrees outside? But I'm talking about travels on the Continent of course :winky:

And anyway, eating 'al fresco' saves on housework inside the 'van - I don't go away to do cleaning up :thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
But why would you want to sit inside a metal box when it's around 30 degrees outside? But I'm talking about travels on the Continent of course :winky:

And anyway, eating 'al fresco' saves on housework inside the 'van - I don't go away to do cleaning up :thumb:

Yes I can see the occasional benefit of a roll out awning, although we hardly ever use ours but still sit outside but whats the point of attaching a house sized tent to the side of your van?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
maybe some of us still like to feel we are a bit closer to nature as in sounds etc rather than protected and isolated in our metal/fibreglass bodied vans. I love having an awning up it keeps the cold wind out but allows the air to circulate and its nice hearing rain on the awning roof at times, the dog likes it and it keeps the inside of my van clean when the grankids are with me at mealtimes and they have room to play with stuff if its raining outside, its the only place i allow them to colour using felt or wax crayons or play with that playdough stuff

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Spot -on, buellster

Folding tents are such fun for all on-lookers, since putting them away is like tying up an octopus with one arm behind your back. When you do get it sussed, tho' it's so easy to put up in a howling gale, or late at night, that we used to use one camping from the car round Europe, and it was actually pretty useful. It's the putting down that's the problem, and that's even in the dry... if your matey had been trying it in a storm, you might have had the joy of seeing him trying to be a sailing ship, careering round the site completely out of control!

Been there, done that!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back