Enormovan from America (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2020
Kempten heading towards Lichtenstein and Austria
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Brave hire
Exp
First time out
Hi everybody, I’m brand new to Motorhome life but having spent most of the last ten years as a HGV2 truck driver, crisscrossing the length and breadth of Europe for the music industry I know all about tolls for big trucks, filling up and the usually excellent service stations, Aires and Autohofs but as this is my very first time in the Winnibago Brave - 6.8 litres and about 7 ton of American RV splendour, there are a couple of things that I’m a little unsure of.........

1. Munich to Lucerne, via Lindau?
2. Border formalities?
3. LPG filling (where online is best for full set)?

I know how experienced and knowledgeable you all are so would love to get your advice and information Regarding all things giant Winnibago. I’ll be travelling from Munich on the 19th of this month (September).

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• D514936C-C38B-49F8-BF47-AC102C829143.jpeg
    D514936C-C38B-49F8-BF47-AC102C829143.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 74

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Looks nice. and the Slide out too?. I had the Adventurer, (Avtar) in the USA for some 6 years. we did 20K miles and 27 States, in it. Mine had the Triton V10, but some where V8`s? One of the regulars here (Olley) has the same (or similar) Model to yours. which is LPG converted (I think) He compiled a quite comprehensive list of LPG sources both here and on the continent.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
If you don't have a macerator, I'd start to build up a collection of manhole keys. When we had our RV I found finding somewhere to gravity dump a problem sometimes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Aug 26, 2020
Kempten heading towards Lichtenstein and Austria
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Brave hire
Exp
First time out
That’s great, thanks. I initially drove to Ghent via Calais and the tunnel (squeezed it in with offside mirror tucked in). Then into Holland stopping near Amsterdam for a few days then headed north to Groningen for a day or two. Due east to Papenburg and then south via Nuremberg towards Munich. Next weekend I’ll be driving down to Lucerne (Swiss). Do I need to worry too much about the border crossings through Austria and into Switzerland?

The LPG is purely for the onboard generator as the Winni is still running on diesel. I’ve never actually used LPG in any capacity previously so I’m just a little bit concerned with getting the correct attachments. It currently only has the uk adapter fitted. I’ve looked it up online and have found a supplier but they’re in Thirsk while I’m currently in south London. If you or anyone else has any tips or info I’m definitely all ears atm.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! For LPG Stations I use the website mylpg.eu and they probably have an app too. You will also need a set of adaptors. These normally have a female thread which screws onto the vehicle side.
For Switzerland you will need to buy the 10 day vignette at the border or just before entering. For Austria it's the Go box you need. Again, can be bought at or just before the border I believe at a fuel station. Some info on them here: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/go-box-austria.145644/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You may need adaptors for LPG. There are 4 types to cover Europe. Mostly it's the shallow dish with the curled-over edge, in France, Germany and most of Europe.

The UK has a connector with two pins sticking out. The nozzle slides over the pins, and turns 90 degrees to lock.

Spain has a round connection with grooves for the nozzle to lock onto.

There is another type which to be honest in all the years I've only used twice, which is a large coarse thread.

You can get a set of adaptors if you want to cover all bases, but I've found that often the adaptor can be borrowed or bought at the kiosk near the pump. If you're getting a set, make sure the screw thread for it is the correct one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Have a look to see what connector is fitted already. This set is missing the UK connector, and is suitable if the UK connector is already fitted. If it's US import it may have the ACME thread (the large coarse thread I mentioned). You can get adaptors from ACME to other European ones.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=323939002332

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Welcome.
The LPG website that’s been mentioned is very good and usually kept up to date.
Not sure about your route but others on here will have travelled it.
If you travel into Austria you may wish to consider reading up on their Gobox before you go.
Lastly, I’m sure that Motorhome Fun used to have an equivalent site for American Motorhomes/RVs. Unless it’s been merged into this now. But there’ll be a number of RV owners along to assist.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from sunny Ciren!

(y) :cool:

(do you have enough storage space in the ‘van........? ;) )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
If your travelling to Lucerne you will be heading for Camping International?

Great site, been several times - often a Morelo/Concorde pitched up so no problem accessing the site with your Winnie IMO.

20 min lovely walk along the lake into town or free bus (pass from reception) - or get the ferry!

Brace yourself for the price of a pint though you sound well travelled so you probably already know that!

Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back