English Sausages Made In Portugal... (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Such language Mr Hughes... :Eeek:

Surely "a very, very long one" would have made the point just as well... :winky:

(I hope Tilly can't read some of your posts... she would be really shocked!" :ROFLMAO:)

(Obviously Lynn is used to them by now...)

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I assume they would stretch and you would get less than 5 yards (due to circumerance increasing thus making the total shorter). you should end up with between 50 and 60 sausages depending of course how long you make them (as long as your frying pan is wide), after all why cook two at a time when you can do one. hee hee Store them in your flat freezer and they will soon get eaten by visitors, ha ha

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I hope should I decide to visit Portugal JJ, you will treat me to a Snoopy-on-a-bike shaped sausage?

God knows how you'd fry that evenly though!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Do any of you experienced sausage makers know how many sausages I can make with 5 yards of sausage casing? ::bigsmile:

when you first try about 6 odd shaped ones:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
then you will throw the rest in the bin if you are anything like me:Eeek:
Saying whos stupid idea was this:ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i reckon 1 very long one cooked in a paella pan would do nicely, curled round and round like those cumberland sausages, but i would wait till you have visitors for that one - otherwise you might 'over sausage' yourself and never fancy another one :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i reckon 1 very long one cooked in a paella pan would do nicely, [HI]curled round and round[/HI] like those cumberland sausages, but i would wait till you have visitors for that one - otherwise you might 'over sausage' yourself and never fancy another one :thumb:

Could this be the perfect use for an empty FB Pie tin - to gauge the optimum length of sausage? :roflmto:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The sausage making equipment arrived this morning... :thumb:

I have been to the supermarket and bought the meats...

I have bought kitchen scales and a mixing bowl from the Chinese shop...

I have returned to the Wagon and washed all the equipment...

Just having a coffee before I do a test run and manufacture 1lb of Traditional Style English Sausages...

Exciting or what?...

PS... not happy about the mincer or burger press colour but what can you do?

Attachments

• sausage making equipment parcel arrives....jpg
    sausage making equipment parcel arrives....jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 37
  • sausage making equipment 1.jpg
    sausage making equipment 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 88
  • sausage making equipment 2.jpg
    sausage making equipment 2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 39

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
all awaiting a video of the sausage making and the result in a frying pan, so get a move one, hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Hi JJ
Having been in the trade and made sausages for over 25 years I will try and help you,in my day beef sausage had to be 40% meat and pork,sausage50% ,meat being a mix
of lean and fat for pork sausage best to use belly pork,and for beef brisket the rest of the sausage was made up from rusk and seasoning.As has been said this will make one long sausage that is your aim, sausages are not strung but linked a bit like long balloons it's a matter of twisting .Skins (sheep) come salted and need to be soaked.After mincing and making sausage mix put nozzle on mincer and skins on the nozzle (tip) open end of skin with 2 fingers inserted and dip into bowl of water forming a small bubble in the skin apply skin to nozzle holding back the bubble with thumb and forefinger in left hand with right hand feed on to nozzle till all skin is on.Are you still with me!! the art is to not over fill thus enabling the twisting to form the links with out it bursting.4 sausages to the foot to link.Squeeze the sausage meat so theres no meat between the thumb and forefinger this is your first sausage,now squeeze again 2 sausage lengths down and connect by twisting where the first sausage was formed you now have 1 sausage and a loop now take long sausage in right hand while holding up with the left and feeding through loop you have now completed your first link by pressing the long bit at the bottom of the loop and twisting.Or you could go out for a curry.

PPS HOW DID EVERTON AND CITY GO ON.

Dave:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the professional advice Dave... surprised I didn't hear from you earlier...and not about the sausages... :ROFLMAO:

HERE THEY ARE FUNSTERS...

The first, test batch...

Just going to fry a bit of left over mix... fingers crossed on the taste...

Have just had a taste and OMG! Just as I wanted them... yummy... I did, as suspected, put in a little too much seasoning but will adjust with the next batch... well happy...

Just read your tips and hints Dave... top stuff and thanks so much... did most of what you say re mix but you have really helped me with the "stringing" the sausages. Don't mind your lot getting three points off us now....

Attachments

• first ever batch of wagon sausages.jpg
    first ever batch of wagon sausages.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
carnt see mutch meat in them jj should have used the large mincer plate. as for city did not wont to keep RUBING YOUR NOSE IN IT...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
carnt see mutch meat in them jj should have used the large mincer plate. as for city did not wont to keep RUBING YOUR NOSE IN IT...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good advice Dave but I wanted them to be "smooth" like the cheap crappy sausages I love from Sainsburys... so I minced with a 6 and then re-minced the mix again... 75% pork, lean and belly pork mixed...

We can talk sausages and footy at Marjal! :thumb:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Good advice Dave but I wanted them to be "smooth" like the cheap crappy sausages I love from Sainsburys... so I minced with a 6 and then re-minced the mix again... 75% pork, lean and belly pork mixed...

We can talk sausages and footy at Marjal! :thumb:

not going ....got to have op on my shoulder...broken clavacal

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
The sausage making equipment arrived this morning... :thumb:

I have been to the supermarket and bought the meats...

I have bought kitchen scales and a mixing bowl from the Chinese shop...

I have returned to the Wagon and washed all the equipment...

Just having a coffee before I do a test run and manufacture 1lb of Traditional Style English Sausages...

Exciting or what?...

PS... not happy about the mincer or burger press colour but what can you do?

looking at that lot jj ,it looks like you robbed the local kids nursery:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Had to try one sausage properly...

So... home made sausage, home made burger, home made chips and home opened beans...

Attachments

• a quick snack treat for being a good boy....jpg
    a quick snack treat for being a good boy....jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 42

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Had to try one sausage properly...

So... home made sausage, home made burger, home made chips and home opened beans...

enough to make a Fray Bentos pie turn in his tin ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well done JJ,at least you know what is in your sausages :thumb:proper meat not the reclaimed spin dryer stuff from the big boys.:Eeek: ENJOY :winky:
terry

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I have to say, all knocking aside, to me those sausages do, actually, look good enough to eat, JJ ! Mind you, I expected you to be able to 'link' bearing in mind the practice you've had with balloons!

Incidentally although I normally turn my nose straight up at 'manufactured' stuff - including FB pies - I'm afraid I don't really like 'too much meat' sausages, or rather I think it might be because the ones you get in France aren't minced fine enough for me whereas I do enjoy good quality butcher's sausages here. Just don't know a local good quality butcher! Portugal is a bit off my normal shopping route ......

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I wish to announce that there will soon be an English Sausage Maker located in Central Portugal...

Although it is possible to buy frozen English Bangers in the Algarve (which is frequented by hoards of Brits), it is not possible for me to get the sort of sausages I like around here.

Stimulated by the recent success of my home made burgers, I decided to try to make my own sausages. Guided by Mel and Christine (Heyupluv) and the internet, I have just ordered all the necessary equipment from Blighty and at the end of next week I hope to produce a batch of superb, tasteless, English sausages just like I use to buy back home...::bigsmile:

JJs....BEST PORK-SHIRE SAUSAGE ......PORTUGAL's BEST SAUSAGE:winky::thumb:....also you mean "TASTY"....not Tasteless...We do about 13 to 20lb each time we make them....you will spoil yourself ...you will not want shop purchased sausage again....plus you will know what is really inside those skins....Mmmmmmm
What a proper chef your are turning out to be....WOW they look Beautiful......what a feast fit for a PRINCE and PRINCESS

Mel:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back