English canal walks with camp sites.

Discussion in 'Best Campsites for Cycling' started by Foxy1956, Nov 30, 2017.

1. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +7,065
    Cheaper to stay on their rally field as we did with Gloucestershire DA last year also. We had a drive down to Sharpness where the canal locks down into the River Severn. There was a rally in a field on the far side of the canal - bit industrialised however.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Ratings:
    +12,606
    Not many canals near us but the Norfolk broads have many campsites nearby. Lovely walks all around there and a nice place to be.
    Phil

3. The Old Man

The Old Man Funster

Ratings:
    +49,573
    https://www.parkfarm-campsite.co.uk

A nice site, good pub, food and ale about 200 yards level ground walk.

Slightly uphill to the canal, once there, going west a beautiful ride to Brecon, a market town, great views all the way.

A nice cafe, canal side but slightly below in Talybont.

Many good pubs along the way.

Going east and south, you can ride to Newport. Again a good selection of pubs. Passed close to Abergavenny but the town is off the canal. Goetre Canal Wharf has a nice restaurant. At Pontypool there is a canal boat converted to a cafe. Then you pass through Cwmbran before reaching Newport.

There are plenty of off canal route excursions.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Ratings:
    +1,677
    Wolverly C&CC is a couple of minutes walk from the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal - there's quite a nice hour-or-so walk into Kidderminster. Or at least most of it is nice - if you like looking at new housing estates you might like the bit at the end as well. Kidderminster itself....shops, traffic, shops, traffic....shops. Was glad to head back....next time I'll need to see what the railway museum is like.

The Lock Inn next to the site seems to be popular. The Queens Head in Wolverly about 10 minutes walk away was quiet weekday lunchtime - food was OK.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  5. houdini

houdini Funster

Ratings:
    +4,503
    Whoa, think I’d be crawling if I had to go across that! :xeek:

Is there a way I can keep thus thread to refer to it all later please? :xgrin:

6. paddymcc

paddymcc Funster

Ratings:
    +105
    [QUOTE

Is there a way I can keep thus thread to refer to it all later please? :xgrin:[/QUOTE]

Yes -you can 'bookmark' it - click on the word bookmark at the bottom of a post.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. houdini

houdini Funster

Ratings:
    +4,503
    Yes -you can 'bookmark' it - click on the word bookmark at the bottom of a post.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I knew it was somewhere and was looking up the top instead of seeing it staring me in the face! :xgrin: :xgrin:
    I was hoping to be able to bookmark the whole thread.

8. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +16,769
    You can often find yourself standing next to Robert Plant at the bar of the Queens. He lives close by :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. paddymcc

paddymcc Funster

Ratings:
    +105
    Thanks, I knew it was somewhere and was looking up the top instead of seeing it staring me in the face! :xgrin: :xgrin:
    I was hoping to be able to bookmark the whole thread.[/QUOTE]
    Although when you click on the number of the post on your bookmarks page you will go to that specific post it will be within the thread so you can then scroll anywhere within it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1