English - as she is (Mis) spoke (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The other day, on our MSN homepage there was a photo of an egg in a saucepan of water with the 'headline'
'How you have been making hard boiled eggs the wrong way for all these years'

How fascinating - the writer thinks I - a human being - can make eggs that one can a) get hold of and b) can cook, presumably to eat! Though I'm bound to say, that photo with it must be wrong since it looks exactly like a hen's egg to me. So - click on the article.

Turns out - how boring! - we are actually talking about normal hard shelled eggs from poultry and not human eggs from ladies ovaries. So what does she mean 'make' ? You can make eg Eggs Benedict, egg salad, egg mayo which involve doing something to/with the egg plus other ingredients, but surely you can't 'make' an egg, which ends up still as an egg, albeit now in various cooked states - poached, boiled, fried etc. Sigh, Read on - the person had been eating hard boiled eggs on toast for years (and I thought Yuk - far too dry for me) but had suddenly discovered they were dry and unappetizing! Quel surprise! But someone had told her how she could bake an egg and she landed up with a perfect accompaniment to her toast.

This was a revelation to me! I'm still fanning myself from the excitement! I just felt I needed to share this NEW way of hard boiling an egg with you as no doubt none of you knew this either, since it's obviously so little known it makes the News.

And to close the article there was appended a photo of the perfect looking baked egg, fresh from the oven in its ramekin dish, complete with the caption underneath 'A perfectly poached egg'.

I rest my case .........

Reactions: Jim
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Why would someone, in possession of enough brain cells to care about the misuse of the English language, even be on such a thing as 'our MSN homepage'? :confused:

Jenny, that page is not intended to be looked at, much less read, by people who understand such niceties.

I tripped over the new BBC home page the other day, to discover it seemed remarkably similar. :cry:

Stick to FUN. You can be sure that if anything really important happens, ShiftZZ or Buttons will let us know. Usually in better English too (hardly surprising, as it's a second language for ShiftZZ). ;)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I enjoy an egg-less egg sandwich.

Place egg (still in shell) in microwave for 3 mins on full power.
While egg cooks butter two rounds of bread.
Open mw door....close mw door.....no egg in there so eat bread.

Where does the egg go.....not enough scrapings to fill a teaspoon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we once went out and forgot we had left some eggs on to hard boile when we returned the saucepan was glowing and the eggs were scattered all around the kitchen

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The other day, on our MSN homepage there was a photo of an egg in a saucepan of water with the 'headline'
'How you have been making hard boiled eggs the wrong way for all these years'

How fascinating - the writer thinks I - a human being - can make eggs that one can a) get hold of and b) can cook, presumably to eat! Though I'm bound to say, that photo with it must be wrong since it looks exactly like a hen's egg to me. So - click on the article.

Turns out - how boring! - we are actually talking about normal hard shelled eggs from poultry and not human eggs from ladies ovaries. So what does she mean 'make' ? You can make eg Eggs Benedict, egg salad, egg mayo which involve doing something to/with the egg plus other ingredients, but surely you can't 'make' an egg, which ends up still as an egg, albeit now in various cooked states - poached, boiled, fried etc. Sigh, Read on - the person had been eating hard boiled eggs on toast for years (and I thought Yuk - far too dry for me) but had suddenly discovered they were dry and unappetizing! Quel surprise! But someone had told her how she could bake an egg and she landed up with a perfect accompaniment to her toast.

This was a revelation to me! I'm still fanning myself from the excitement! I just felt I needed to share this NEW way of hard boiling an egg with you as no doubt none of you knew this either, since it's obviously so little known it makes the News.

And to close the article there was appended a photo of the perfect looking baked egg, fresh from the oven in its ramekin dish, complete with the caption underneath 'A perfectly poached egg'.

I rest my case .........

That's modern life for you, you see the same every day all over the place. No one checks as the spull chucker does that for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back