Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
If it was running on excess engine oil I guess by now the engines stopped and he's still getting over the shock. They go with a he'll of a bang. I very much hope that wasn't the problem.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Agreed, re: not logging in, but being a member for the last five years they know replies on this forum, unlike many others, will be almost instant and as the question was asked its only reasonable to expect the op was waiting for a response and to regularly check for replies.
Not being able to turn off the engine seems pretty urgent to me....some folks wouldn't even think of stalling it.
To be fair @pappajohn
I wouldnt of thought about stalling the engine

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
To be fair @pappajohn
I wouldnt of thought about stalling the engine

and I still haven't found out where my fuse is, but I am a bit wiser today (y) would never have thought about a fuse either

that was PPJ's point, a simple solution to what could have been a nightmare scenario for some (well me at least anyway) o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Seems to me from the wording of the post that this is an ongoing situation, it’s not “omg I’ve taken the key out and the engine is still running and I don’t know what to do please help NOW!!!!”

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Maybe he couldn’t stall it,decided to take it for a drive,had a full tank and is now going round and round in circles somewhere in Norfolk. Or maybe he’s down the pub telling his mates he’s just put a post on here to wind us up.:D:D

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
And he can’t post if he’s driving around in circles because that would be illegal. So give him a break ;)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Other ways of stopping a runaway diesel engine , eg if auto gearbox.
CO2 extinguisher into air intake
Shove something big eg blanket (not hanky) into air intake .
You need to do it pretty quick as they go to bang pretty quick .
Dont use water or foam extinguisher as you end up with a knackered engine just the same.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Obviously not an ex MGB owner, Had to stall them if you gave em a darn good thrashing :D2

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
He hasn’t got a runaway engine and oil isn’t the issue. It just doesn’t stop when he turns the ignition off.
As I said before, I have this issue occasionally. I have searched the internet for an answer over the months and not found a solution. Other people have even posted that their vehicles have been in various garages who have failed to find the reason.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
can you still stall an engine by shoving a potato up the exhaust, it used to work in the 70's :LOL:
Not on the tractor on the farm... after dropping a spud down the exhaust you hit the throttle...
The trick was to see how far the potato would fly.....(y):LOL:
Andy.

OP
OP
Rapido772f

Rapido772f

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
Kings Lynn norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
8 years
its a 2.8 jtd 52 reg
drove it to my local respected garage yesterday expecting the engine not to turn off
so they could connect the computer to it.
As you can imagine it switched off as normal.
TYPICAL
I have given them all your knowledgeable suggestions and will have to
wait for the final verdict and fix will let you know as soon as I do!!
Now another problem developed on the journey .Habitation Door Creaking
over even slight bumps . wife opened door while I was driving noise stops IDEAS?

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
My Rapido 646f did that from new, it was caused by the door flexing slightly where it met the frame. A couple of small pieces of (colour-matched) self-adhesive felt stuck on the frame where they met cured the problem, still OK seven years on.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When my Renault Mh ran on intermittently it only happened when towing and the fault lay in the wiring of what I was towing.

OP
OP
Rapido772f

Rapido772f

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
Kings Lynn norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
8 years
hi Dave ,
thanks for that suggestion i will have a look when its back
you could'nt post a photo of your fix could you?
If thats possible ,thanks very much

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
A known problem if a single filement stop bulb has been fitted instead of a twin stop / tail.
Does the engine stop if you put your foot onthe brake.
I think this has been the cause for some people, there doesn’t appear to be a single fix, but I am pretty sure getting the body earth connections sorted first rules out some of these problems.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
The reason has to be its still getting fueled.. that' a given....
The problem is how... it can only be from its normal fuel source or the lub oil...
Andy
The fuel cut off solenoid has to operate to cut off the fuel when the ignition is turned off. It’s a case of finding out what causes it to not operate that is the problem.
People have had new valves fitted yet still have the problem, and being intermittent makes it far more difficult to find the fault, especially when it can be something like an incorrect stop lamp!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
can you still stall an engine by shoving a potato up the exhaust, it used to work in the 70's :LOL:
I’d forgotten about that!
We used to stick a spud up the exhaust of an old geezer and then hide round the corner to watch. Naughty boys.

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
That old geezer must have been some kind of a perv to let you do that.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Usually if you are getting a backfeed into the ign live circuit , which can be cause of stop solenoid not losing live which it needs to shut of fuel (as its a live feed that energizes it and holds it open ) you also get various dash warning lights remaining on .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Still maintain its nothing more serious than a sticky solenoid plunger.
It's only a light duty coil spring which push's it down.
When it won't turn off simply pull off the feed wire.
If it still runs the plunger is stuck.
If it does stop its an electrical fault.

OP
OP
Rapido772f

Rapido772f

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
Kings Lynn norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
8 years
the last two posts epitomise why I have not responded on this forum
and I thank them both for their support.
I also would like to thank the magority of those who responded
positively for their advice.
this is not the chat forum .
also trolling really helps in these circumstances
so, I would like to wish those who posted the negative
comments ,a merry christmas . Thanks.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I know this is a very old thread but.

My iveco motorhome started doing strange things today. I stopped for fuel , when I went to restart it wouldn't...it was like a flat battery. I popped bonnet wiggled wires tried again and it started. Loose connection I thought, I'll check those later. But a few miles later and my speedo started to not work my reverse camera was switching on and off itself. The 12v USB socket I have powering my satnav read 11.2v so I pulled in to another service station . Left engine running. Checked battery voltage with meter and it read 12v , but no lights on dash or anything to say alternator not charging. I didn't want to be stuck where I was so I continued driving to the town I was aiming for. ( I'm in Italy at the minute) when I arrived I parked up at an iveco garage incase I need parts or help tomorrow. I checked battery voltage again and at this point I got a reading at over 14v ... but only briefly then it dropped again to 12v . I turned off the key and the engine kept running. I stalled it to get it to stop. And it wouldn't restart , battery still reading 11.8v . I think it's most likely my alternator that's faulty. But I found it strange that the engine wouldn't stop.

Hopefully iveco garage can take a look at it tomorrow

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Check your oil level. Diesel engines can run on if the lube oil can get foamed up and make its way into the combustion chambers, they can race away and blow up.....beware.
I had that happen, on a van where the engine was laying at an angle I had drained the thick gungy oil, or I thought I had as nothing came out of the sump drain hole, refilled engine started engine and off it roared couldn't stop it, switched off, tried to stall it until clutch was burning , pulled off fuel pipes, fan never came on , water hoses blew off ,and eventually engine stopped,as I now know Adding oil put it overfilled I checked level ,well overfilled,!! I was shaking , workshop full of steam and smoke.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back