Engine Warning Light - Loss of power 3.0 multijet (1 Viewer)

Esther_99

Free Member
Dec 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome64
Exp
Since 2014
Hi folks,

We're currently in the French Pyrenees and everything was running fine. Base vehicle is a 3.0 Multijet Ducato, 2011 plate.

Started the engine today and got the 'check engine' Warning Light.

Had to move to find services and the vehicle seemed fine until reached a long inline. Usually the 3.0 litre powers up inclines easily, but this time it struggled to maintain pace. It reminded me of our old 2.0 litre motorhome.

Gears 1-3 seemed normal, but 4-6 definitely underpowered.

We still got up to speed in the end and if the road was flat I might not have noticed a difference. I've heard of Limp Mode before, but not sure if that is what this is as we could still cruise along at 80 kph easily on the flat.

There was also a noticeable judder noise when we parked and turned off the engine. We're static again now, and intend to visit a French garage for a diagnostic. However, any thoughts or suggestions for things I can check myself would be welcome. Especially how far I should consider driving to a garage.

Many thanks

Dan

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like the engine has been put into limp mode by the ECU..

unless you have the software and know how you will not reset it from limp mode. best get the fault codes read and go from there.

I would ask for a diagnostics test and then discuss the options. that way at least you get to know whats wrong for the minimum amount ( maybe they will reset it as it could be a simple sensor got a bit upset )

failing that they will give you the low down on fault and costs.. before you agree to an unknown spend.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Throttle body? Similar symptoms on my 2.3 a couple of years ago.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't think the 3.0L was affected by the throttle body problems on the 2.3. Also you have to get seriously high, around 7000 ft, before altitude has any effect.

It may well be something "tripped" the ECU into thinking there was a problem and put the van into limp mode. If you haven't got a code reader that can reset it a trick I was told of was to switch off the engine and leave for around 30 secs before restarting. Rev a little to get the alternator on line then shut it down again. Repeat 5 times and the warning light should go out and you should be okay. I don't guarantee it of course but it worked for me and I know of others but it's worth a try before you start traipsing about finding a garage with the right software reader who will want to charge you at least £50.

If it was just a temporary blip that will be the end of it. However if it repeats, or the light doesn't go out, well you're back to square one. Still, it can do no harm and nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

Aug 14, 2017
Princes Risborough
Funster No
MH
Fleurette
Exp
18 months
I had the same problem with my Ducato 2.3. Loss of power above 50mph.it was a loose connection on the mass airflow filter. You will need to have engine management system checked on diagnostic computer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had similar and it was the EGR valve. There are a few possible causes so if it were me I would get it diagnosed.

OP
OP
Esther_99

Esther_99

Free Member
Dec 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome64
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you all for your responses.off to the garage tomorrow. I'll see what they say and post here when I know more.

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am currently in Italy and having the exact same problem, did you find a solution?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've heard of Limp Mode before,
"Limp" mode is when it ticks over & any operation of the throttle does nothing to the engine revs whatsoever.You just have the eml on with reduced programme on the ecu until codes sorted/read

OP
OP
Esther_99

Esther_99

Free Member
Dec 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome64
Exp
Since 2014
Hi folks,

Sorry I should have updated at the time. It was the egr valve, as another poster had said.

Cost was just over 700 euros for us.

Good luck

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am currently in Italy and having the exact same problem, did you find a solution?
What engine?. My previous, 2.3 showed same symptoms, the RAC came out and his Diagnostics showed an EGR fault, he reset it but warned it might occur again. I subsequently had to replace the EGR. DIY, parts online at about 80quid as opposed to Fiat at 250quid, same item same maker just direct!. Depending on age there is/was an updated item which needed an adapter for the cabling.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Had similar probs and it was the ABS pump apparently the Bosch ABS pumps fitted around 2011/12 are suspect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back