Engine Oil.....what A Carry On ! (1 Viewer)

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I am confused ( not unusual some would say ! ) I need to top up the engine oil on my MH . . base vehicle Fiat Ducato 2006 2.8 JTD , no reference as to the spec in the Handbook, had a look at a couple of oil company sites who seemed to recommend a 10 - 40 semi synthetic, but then thought ( I do sometimes ! ) . . ring the dealer who serviced it last time . . . they said they used 5w 30 long life ? low sulpher . . Come on guys which do I go for ?.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

I don't think it has a DPF fitted !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think that as the dealer used the 5w 30 last time, i don't have an alternative for topping up purposes, as to mix the two is not doable without big potential probs, so until next service . . its gotta be the 5w 30,

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
AFAIK there is no such thing as low sulphur engine lubricant. To confirm my suspicions I Googled it. I lost the will to live after the first 20 entries that mentioned sulphur at all were discussing Diesel fuel. The Castrol website doesn't mention sulphur and offers C2 because it's specified by Fiat. Still no mention of sulphur. Your servicing technician is taking the P.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
AFAIK there is no such thing as low sulphur engine lubricant. To confirm my suspicions I Googled it. I lost the will to live after the first 20 entries that mentioned sulphur at all were discussing Diesel fuel. The Castrol website doesn't mention sulphur and offers C2 because it's specified by Fiat. Still no mention of sulphur. Your servicing technician is taking the P.

Low sulphur oil is vital for an engine fitted with a D.P.F. - the oil is prefixed with an ACEA C1 or 2 or 3 or 4 & is also called low SAPS

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi. Grease ?
Not wishing to hi-jack this thread,while out in the fuel bowser,filling plant and dishing out " diesel,grease and the odd "D" link " on site,i came across a JCB technician/fitter,up to his elbows in a new JCB 360 tracked machine. Filled it up,shouted to ther driver,"do you want some grease ?" Yes he said,so i got some cartridges out of a box and put them on the track.
" STOP" says Mr JCB. "If you use that grease on this machine,the warranty will be null and void,haven't you got some Proper ? JCB....Blue grease ?. When i told him we had run out a few days before,he said he had not heard that,but i was to get the...JCB Blue grease as soon as possible and he would keep stum,so Blue grease for the JCB tracks and "Ordinary ?" grease for the Cats...LOL.
Someone PLEASE tell me he was from another planet...... Or..... "Is it me ?"
Tea Bag
Edit. As Snowbird says,Caterpillar require oil samples from some of their machine engines,it is sent away and analysed at one of their depots,i think its on an "hours run" time scale.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back