Engine Not Charging the Leisure Batteries (2 Viewers)

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Hi Guys, I have a Bailey Autograph 765 and its just had its annual hab service. The engineer noted that the leisure batteries are not being charged when the engine is running. I have used my trusty multi-meter and can confirm he is correct, the batteries charge correctly on EHU but loose the charge once the engine is fired up.
I am assuming that either the Split Charger Unit (SCU) has failed or a fuse has blown. I have checked all the fuses I can find and they are ok but I cannot locate the SCU. I have checked around the battery units and the Hab Distribution/fuse unit.
Does anyone know where Bailey locate the SCU?
Thanks in Advance. Pete.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unless you have one of the over-complicated electronic control panels the split charge relay will be near the starter battery.
It's usually nothing more than a regular 30a automotive relay......1" square plastic or aluminium box with 4 terminals and a mounting plate.
Follow any none factory wires from the battery pos to locate it.

OP
OP
Pete D.
Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Thanks PJ, I suspect it may be of the overcomplicated type. The positive wires from both sets of batteries look to be factory fitted. I have started to trace from the leisure batteries back as there are only 2 wires. One goes directly to the hab dist unit and the other goes forwards towards the cab which I seem to loose at the cab and body join. More investigations tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
Have you checked the settings on the panel which is above the door in my neighbors I think there is a setting for Hab or Cab or a smart setting which will do both maybe more info in Handbook.
Cliff

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My Hymer stoped charging last year, something referred to as the D+ relay had failed so effectively no output from alternator when the engine was running

This also neant the fridge didn’t switch to 12V so something quite easy to check

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Without knowing what make of charger / 12v control box you have can only give general guidance. Assuming the alternator is charging the engine battery , then ...

If it's a Schaudt EBL the engine battery cable has a 25A in-line blade fuse, generally beside the engine positive battery post. This goes directly to the EBL connected to it on the underside..

You can check there for 12v to prove whether the fuse has blown or not.. If the fuse is ok and the terminal on the EBL is not corroded or loose then the fault is internal and will require the unit to be repaired by the maker or an approved dealer.

I've just removed mine for a different fault (no charging from 240V) and sent off to Apuljack Engineering Ltd. for repair..

Underside of EBL showing battery connections > Starter, Negative and Habitation
IMG_2648.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most modern vans the split charge relay is inside the charger/distribution unit. First thing is to get yourself a wiring diagram you won't get one for the complete van but you should get one showing the connections to the distribution unit. Then you can check if the D+ output is getting to if and will be able to establish if it is an alternator wiring problem or a split charge relay problem.
Also there will probably be a fuse near the engine battery that feeds the split charge circuit in my van it's a 50 amp maxi fuse.

What is concerning is you say the battery is discharging when the engine is running, I don't see how that can happen.

OP
OP
Pete D.
Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Thanks for the info everone. Kenny HB, it's my phrasing at fault, I meant to say that when the engine is running there is no charge to the LB's not a discharge. Pete.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What is concerning is you say the battery is discharging when the engine is running, I don't see how that can happen.

No he means that the charging source is lost when the engine is started .i.e. it isn't charging from the engine

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I spent many hours trying to trace the same non-charging fault. The fuse tested o.k. for continuity several times on a meter but went open circuit (i.e. failed) when 'in action' with the higher voltage/current when the engine was running. What had thrown me was that each time I tested the fuse with the engine stopped it had 'reset' itself. A new fuse sorted it. :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back