f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Yes I had my 2.8 2005 Auto-trail remapped works fine for me(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Engine mapping is changing the control parameters of your engines ECU and by so doing can in some cases increase power output or improve fuel consumption. Some claim increased power and better fuel economy, though personally I believe you get one at the expence of the other. Is it worth it? The jury are out on that one, some swear by it others say a waste of money, some say your insurance is invalidated, others that it will fail MOT. You will not get a consensus of opinion.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Now you have started something, get ready for this one to run for a while.

Yes we have and yes it is worth it to us, smoother running more grunt, would not claim better fuel consumption but as I have got used to driving it I tend to go a bit quicker so that most likely negates and improvements.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I had my 2006 ducato 2.8 jtd done some years ago by wow tuning and I can say that driving it has definitely been made a lot easier ,less gear changing and better acceleration much smoother drive and
more responsive to driver demands. As for mileage I never worry about that if I get there happy:)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Yes. Do it.

Manufacturers don't do it as they have to do a generic map to conform to a multitude of counties different regs. Doesn't mean it's the best map for the engine. Just their corporate and economic best

Always have - always will. Swear by it.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
We remap a lot of diesels.
Our biggest clients ? ......
Farmers !
Mapping out John Deere / MF / new Holland and others makes massive difference...... Especially to PTO power.
Be aware..... Some generic maps are crap and will do damage long term.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
and I find those that have had it done make the most noise about it

not wanting to admit the money spent did nothing :D:D:D:D:D:D

30 all

I think a genuine company would take it off and give you a refund if it was no good, that was certainly the offer that we had.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Worst money I've ever wasted.
Ignored all the warnings about clutch problems swayed by tales of more power and mpg.:rolleyes:
Done by WOW.
Original Remap about £300.00 new clutch within a month £500.00 another clutch within 5000 miles £500.00 another clutch after 5000 miles £500.00 cost of getting Remap removed and a new Remap designed for the vehicle approx £375.00. Add to that a reduction in economy by 2 mpg and we do approx 10000 miles a year.
As you can see a very expensive mistake and one I would hate to see anyone else make without at least warning them of the potential problems.
If you must have it done use a professional firm who design a specific Remap for your vehicle rather than these off the shelf cowboys.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
got my sprinter 316 remapped 2 years ago , very pleased. didnt go for full power map just better midrange because i tow a car and at 55mph it was never quite on the power when it came to steep hills and i was always dropping a gear. economy wise its no worse , maybe a tad better but i put that down to fewer gearchanges. i get 24 mpg on a run with car and trailer , brim to brim . quantum remaps in slough did mine, involved desoldering the main chip from the ecu and writing a new map to it from their computer. must admit i was a bit freaked by the chip removal but the kit they have is amazing so there was no need to worry.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think its essential for 2.8 Fiat with the standard gearing as it takes away the 2000rpm flatspot and makes a massive difference to hill climbing. The difference is truly amazing but I dont think its neccesary on the 3 litre as the power spread is so large.

Hymer used to offer the option of standard 127bhp and 145bhp which I believ was a remap.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Not for me, if it was designed to do it why wouldn't the manufacturers do it?

As far as I understand, as vehicles are distributed world wide, they build to the lowest common denominator fuel wise.
I had my 2006 Fiat done by Wow, and before, it was dangerously sluggish overtaking, it's much much better now.
As for fuel economy, it's down to how you drive. Mine is 3.9t.
I can get 22 to 28 mpg.
I told my insurance company and it made no change to the premium. Mine was remapped not chipped.

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I was thinking of it but in all reality i get 70-80mph out of 10yr old 2.0ltr ducatto diesel so no real advantage to me, may not be the fastest but to coin a phrase " theres more to life than increasing its speed"

Cant believe i just said that, boy racer days well and truly behind me :oops2:

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
I was thinking of it but in all reality i get 70-80mph out of 10yr old 2.0ltr ducatto diesel so no real advantage to me, may not be the fastest but to coin a phrase " theres more to life than increasing its speed"

its not about top speed its about increasing the power curve to let the engine pull a heavy motorhome up to speed more efficiently.

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
Ok I'm convinced. How do I get my 1992 Talbot 1500p 2l petrol remapped?:D

Reactions: JJ

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The Fiat 2.8 JD5 comes with more flat spots on it's power curve than a set of stairs. Since I had mine done it's been a pleasure to drive. Is it quicker, possibly, better fuel economy, no, smoother acceleration, definitely and finally the big bonus is it's much easier to get on ramps without all that clutch slipping and revs. (y)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

I had our '05 reg 2ltr JTD remapped 6 yrs ago, and the all round improvement was amazing. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back