Engine management warning light (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
:mad::mad::mad:Driving yesterday warning “beep” and engine management light comes on, dash display reading “check engine” it’s a 2017 150 fiat Ducato manual. Engine rpm normal slight loss of power on inclines and when accelerating from stop, annoying as we are away for a week with our grand daughter.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Pretty sure we had the same light come on in the south of France on our Burstner Elegance fiat 3 litre, early Sat evening so not alot we could do about it everywhere was going to be shut for a couple of days. We ended up just continuing our holiday drove all the way home and took it into our local to home fiat HGV dealer 2 weeks later. The light went on off a bit en-route. All was fine.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We had the same in our other van a couple of years ago in Spain. We reset it from a youtube video, and nothing was any the worse for wear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
There are one or two threads on here about Engine Warning Lights. Could be any number of things. Ours came on in Austria a couple of years ago ABS and EBD and other warnings. We just carried on with no problems. Took it to garage when I got home and they merely reset it cost £50, it came back on 10 miles later so just carried on with it for a few weeks then returned it to garage and they fixed it saying it was a sensor fraid cost about £150 . Set off for Croatia and it occasionally came back on again. Returned home and after a few months it came back on and Speedometer stopped working. Failed ABS pump diagnosed and cost nearly 3K to have fixed. It could be anything but my advice would be to go to a proper Fiat professional garage for a proper diagnosis. My mistake was to just use a big commercial garage.

Reactions: SMB

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
my advice would be to go to a proper Fiat professional garage for a proper diagnosis. My mistake was to just use a big commercial garage.

You had a bad experience by the sounds of it which was unfortunate but using a main dealer is not always the best way

I own a garage and have staff that have been with me over 20 years they are all fully trained and very knowledgeable we have a main dealer who uses us regularly to sort problems out for them as they do not have any technicians capable of sorting certain things out.

Any workplace or dealership is only as good as the staff it has and not all the best technicians work at the dealerships, as long as the garage you choose keeps up to date with all its diagnostics equipment and training they should be able to do 95% of what the dealer can do for you obviously not including warrenty work and normally at a much cheaper rate

You can spend a fortune on diagnostic equipment but if you don't understand how to use it in depth you will never find the correct fault

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Another vote for main dealers not always being the best we had loads of problems in the past with a Seat dealership that were rubbish )car not m/h) that being said so are some privately run ones!! I think reputation is the only way to choose where to go unless still under warranty

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
You had a bad experience by the sounds of it which was unfortunate but using a main dealer is not always the best way

I own a garage and have staff that have been with me over 20 years they are all fully trained and very knowledgeable we have a main dealer who uses us regularly to sort problems out for them as they do not have any technicians capable of sorting certain things out.

Any workplace or dealership is only as good as the staff it has and not all the best technicians work at the dealerships, as long as the garage you choose keeps up to date with all its diagnostics equipment and training they should be able to do 95% of what the dealer can do for you obviously not including warrenty work and normally at a much cheaper rate

You can spend a fortune on diagnostic equipment but if you don't understand how to use it in depth you will never find the correct fault
You are absolutely right but finding a reliable honest garage is really difficult. I was convinced that this was the garage for me it was large, had good reviews, explained things well. They also had a 'research' section and did work for the big supermarkets. They even advertised that some of their technicians were Fiat trained and also had there own motorhomes. The final straw was when I was about to take delivery of a brand new motorhome and I had the warning lights and no speedo on the van I was trading in. I'd read all the forums on here and was convinced it was the ABS pump. Told them to do diagnostics but check the ABS. They had it for 3 weeks and eventually told me it looked like the ABS pump. The boss gave me two options brand new pump 2K plus or a secondhand pump for 1K . When I asked him about a guarantee on the secondhand pump he said there wasn't one but he was 98% sure it would get me to the dealer for the trade in. His final words were that it would be ok but 'don't use it'. He then reluctantly agreed to let me find my own secondhand pump and I did for £300. After they received it they kept saying they'd fitted it but it needed sorting. I kept ringing and popping in to see what was going on. Another 3 weeks went by and I asked the technician should I just order a brand new pump. He advised me against this saying it would be a big gamble and to leave it with them. Finally i'd been given a date for delivery of my new motorhome, it was coming in two weeks, so I phoned the garage and told them to tell the technician to phone me that day with a date when the work would be completed. He rang that afternoon and these are his exact words...…"Mr ##### I have the boss and three men outside your motorhome , the three men want to buy your motorhome, how much do you want"!!!!!! ????? My words "I don't want you to sell my motorhome I want you to ****** fix it" . That day I went and took my motorhome out of the garage, paid them the £440 for the 7 hours labour that was amassed over 7 weeks and rang the dealer. He booked it into Walton Summit professional dealer, they had it for 5 days, they had to get the pump from Italy and that took 3 days, yes the cost was nearly £3000 but just wished i'd gone there first. I also had to buy a new battery as the previous garage had left all the doors open in the van for the entire 7 weeks and the battery was ruined.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Oh dear you really did have poor service but fortunately not all independent garages are like this I can see why you would not want to trust a none dealer but all dealers are not good either you only have to look through this forum to find really poor service from dealers
Glad you got sorted and can now enjoy your new MH

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
The engine light came on our Fiat Ducato X250 a few weeks ago in Greece and the accelerator became unresponsive. Pulled over and checked it using a cheap OBD2 tool and Torque Pro app, came back as fault p2135 powertrain. When the low-loader turned up 90 minutes later I started it up and the light had gone. I followed the low-loader to a garage without a problem, garage owner wasn't interested so I drove on and its been fine ever since. Now in Poland, will get it checked when we get back to the UK.

Screenshot_2019-04-30-11-01-17.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back